Chevy Cruze

t.tewks09

Any experience? I've searched and now found much at all. We are having a terrible time with our '07 Kia Rio and are hoping possibly maybe that we can get a payoff on our loan to get a different vehicle if its in the cards for us. Normally would never buy anything this new, but to get the payoff we'll need to buy new-used. So far, we're seeing a lot of the '12 Chevy Cruze. Read the carseatblog's review already and that blog seemed to give it a thumbs up, but have also read that some people say it is not carseat friendly.

We've got two kids - 5 months and 3 years. 3 year old currently FFing in a True Fit behind driver (Kia Rio couldn't fit two RFing because my husband is 6'1). 5 month old RFing in a Radian behind passenger and I can comfortably sit in passenger with it all the way moved forward. No big deal. Size is NOT an issue for us. We are not expecting or planning on having more than two children. Current vehicle only has outboard LATCH, no center, and again, that isn't an issue for us.

Besides size and not being able to borrow to use LATCH in the center, is there anything else that is the reason people claim it is not extended rearfacing carseat friendly?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Compared to cars in its class, it's pretty typical in terms of carseat issues. Obviously, compared to a minivan or midsize sedan/SUV, it's going to seem like it is not very carseat friendly because it is a compact sedan, after all. I'd definitely try your RF Radian behind the passenger and make sure you are OK with the legroom.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I rented a Cruze last Christmas - so it would be recent but not sure of the model year - and I had a RF classic Marathon (for my 15 month old and as upright as possible for her age) and a FF Radian. Both installed fine but my husband (6'1) was not able to drive with the RF Marathon behind him and honestly my FF 4 year old in the Radian was uncomfortable with the leg room left for her when she was behind him - she couldn't have her feet pointed forwards (although, she does have big feet :p). I was JUST able to drive with the Marathon behind me and although I'm 5'8 I think I sit a little closer to the dash than my height would indicate.

We were on the verge of getting a different rental but decided we could make it work. It was tight though!

MUTigers

I have had my radian RFing in my moms cruze. It installs well both center with seatbelt and passenger side with latch and angle adjuster. I love the car but I can't imagine putting a RFing seat behind the driver unless s/he is extremely short. I can sit comfortably behind my dad, but he has very short legs so has the seat up further.

I also doubt you could fit a third person, adult or child, in the back with two car seats. My brother and I barely fit with the radian and we are both on the smaller side of average (him more than me). After 5 minutes we were ready to get out!

It really is a great car though! My mom drives a little more than 60 miles a day and only has to fill up once a week. Except for size I'd say that car seats probably install pretty well, at least the radian and keyfit both do!

Good luck in your car search!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC