Question Chest clip question on use + USA vs. Europe

*HH*

I know how this sometimes is a topic here. Did you know that as of July 2013 chest clips were made legal in Europe with the new ECE R 129 regulation? There aren't any seats. yet as far as I know, that comes with the clip but they do sell loose chest clips here. In Norway experts are now recommending everyone to use a chest clip.

Would it be most correct? To place the chest clip on after the seat belt is tightened or before tightening? I've learned after, but now I cannot find the source where I have this information from? We have no tradition for using the chest clip and no official information on how to use it. I intend to share good information on the subject. Correct placement is at armpit level, right?

ADS

_juune

I know how this sometimes is a topic here. Did you know that as of July 2013 chest clips were made legal in Europe with the new ECE R 129 regulation? There aren't any seats. yet as far as I know, that comes with the clip but they do sell loose chest clips here. In Norway experts are now recommending everyone to use a chest clip.

Would it be most correct? To place the chest clip on after the seat belt is tightened or before tightening? I've learned after, but now I cannot find the source where I have this information from? We have no tradition for using the chest clip and no official information on how to use it. I intend to share good information on the subject. Correct placement is at armpit level, right?

My understanding is that, yes, manufacturers can now make R129 seats that have chest clips, if they so decide. This doesn't mean that any random seat can now have a chest clip added.
I know that BeSafe makes "chest clips" [well, those add on things] for their own seats [also I think I have seen an Akta Graco "clip" around], which I *suppose* they have crash tested, but I'd never use that clip on another manufacturers seat. Also which experts do you mean, btw?
Personally I've never felt the need for the clip on my children's seats, I've had 0-13 Jane and Axkid, 0-18 Concord and BeSafe, and a 9-25 Britax MaxWay. I actually did purchase the BeSafe clip, but never used it. Of course, it may be helpful if the child is an escape artist, but is it really useful otherwise?

*HH*

Experts such as The Norwegian Air Ambulance, Norwegian Council for Road Safety, Norwegian Institute of Public Health and independent researchers such as Marianne Skjerven-Martinsen(philosophiae doctor, defended her degree this summer with the report "Child occupants in motor vehicle collisions. Real-world crash studies and a roadside study of children in cars in southeast Norway 2007-2013 with emphasis on safety hazards, restraining practice, and predictors of injury"). They all say that one should use the chest clip to prevent the belt to wander to far out on the childs shoulders and to make it more difficult for children to break their hands free of the belt. In short to be even surer that the belt stays in place, in addition to tight harness of course.

_juune

Experts such as The Norwegian Air Ambulance, Norwegian Council for Road Safety, Norwegian Institute of Public Health and independent researchers such as Marianne Skjerven-Martinsen(philosophiae doctor, defended her degree this summer with the report "Child occupants in motor vehicle collisions. Real-world crash studies and a roadside study of children in cars in southeast Norway 2007-2013 with emphasis on safety hazards, restraining practice, and predictors of injury"). They all say that one should use the chest clip to prevent the belt to wander to far out on the childs shoulders and to make it more difficult for children to break their hands free of the belt. In short to be even surer that the belt stays in place, in addition to tight harness of course.

Hmm, interesting; do you have any idea if the research paper is available in English? Quick google doesn't find it.
Anyway, it's generally considered to be a bad idea to add anything to a carseat that didn't come with it and that hasn't been crash tested with it :shrug-shoulders:

*HH*

I know, and I never usually do recommend after marked products, but in this case I do when these experts tells us to, I trust them. I will ask Marianne if the research paper is available in English :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Regarding whether it's better to secure the chest clip before or after tightening: I don't think it really matters as long as the harness winds up properly tightened in the end. Usually I buckle it before tightening, but there are some seats I find it easier to tighten the harness if the chest clip isn't buckled.

sunnymw

I do find this thread a little ironic.

Y'all are wanting to start using chest clips. While we are crying to do away with the darn things!! :eek:

*HH*

You are? I did not know that :) Do tell me more.

The chest clip we have available here is pretty soft plastic, is the US ones hard plastic?

lgenne

Not to speak for anyone but myself, but the reasons I see for eliminating them:

-they're a pain to use. One more thing to buckle.
-they're frequently misused, placed too high or too low, which can lead to injury.
-some people apparently think buckling the chest clip is enough, and don't bother with the crotch buckle at all, which is essentially like not buckling the kid in at all.

Simpler car seats are more likely to be used properly.

sunnymw

Not to speak for anyone but myself, but the reasons I see for eliminating them:

-they're a pain to use. One more thing to buckle.
-they're frequently misused, placed too high or too low, which can lead to injury.
-some people apparently think buckling the chest clip is enough, and don't bother with the crotch buckle at all, which is essentially like not buckling the kid in at all.

Simpler car seats are more likely to be used properly.

Yes this.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC