Chest Chip situation

N

NCBlueberry

Hello! I was referred here to ask about my situation with my daughter. She is 4 years, 10 months old, 36 inches, and 35 lbs and currently uses a Britax Boulevard. She has a rare genetic condition and her motor skills are more developed than her cognitive ones. She has for the last month or two been pushing her chest chip down and then pulling her arms through the straps to free them. She has now become rather obsessed with doing this every time we're in the car and we have not had much luck yet reversing any behaviors she gets obsessed with. We've tried working with her behaviorally but so far we haven't made any breakthroughs. Is there anything that would make it impossible for her to push the chest chip down? I understand that it's better to correct the behavior, but in this case I think something that would prevent the safety problem would be a good idea until she is able to understand.

Thanks!

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When she pushes the chest clip down, does she also get out of the straps? If the straps remain snug and in position, then the pushed down chest clip is mainly a hazard from the pressure it might place on her tummy. Some manufacturers (I believe Britax is one) will allow you to remove the chest clip for SN kids.

The newest version of HUGS that Britax has connect behind the shell. They would limit your DDs ability to push the chest clip all the way down (she may be able to push it down a little). They said they weren't going to sell the new HUGS aftermarket, but for a SN child they may. You might give thema call about it.

If you're wanting to keep your current seat, Merrit Manufacturing (maker of several SN seats) has a chest clip assembly that doesn't allow the child to I clip the chest clip or move it down like they normally do. I don't know if the device is available aftermarket yet, or how much it would cost if you can get it. You could try contacting them.

Your also might consider a different restraint altogether. Can she undo buckles and chest clips or just move them at this point? A vest type restraint may work for her better than a typical harnessed restraint.

mdsvc89

Some kids are swayed by a little bit of the prickly side of the velcro on what we don't want them to touch, as a deterrent.

Another choice is to put a button down shirt on her and do up the buttons OVER the straps. Of course, if she can do buttons this might not do the trick, but perhaps her fingers aren't quite that agile?

Do you think she'd "get" it if you tried to go somewhere she liked, and kept pulling over and stopping every time she did it? This can help younger kids understand, or at least extinguish the behavior (not sure where your child fits cognitively...)

I'm sure others will chime in. I don't think it's safe to put anything on the straps that the manufacturers didn't intend.

Michelle

tiggercat

What about one of the radians with the big honking strap pads?

You'd have to sew them shut, because they just unvelcro (my kiddo takes them off and throws them). I sewed a set closed and now he just screams in that seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Chely7425

You'd have to sew them shut, because they just unvelcro (my kiddo takes them off and throws them). I sewed a set closed and now he just screams in that seat.

Rather have a screaming kid than one taking off the chest clip all the time... and it is probably the most accesible option to fix this particular problem. There are special needs seats with accesories to address this situation/issue but they are obviously much more expensive and difficult to get.

tiggercat

Rather have a screaming kid than one taking off the chest clip all the time... and it is probably the most accesible option to fix this particular problem. There are special needs seats with accesories to address this situation/issue but they are obviously much more expensive and difficult to get.

Yup, agreed. Just wanted to other poster to know that they may not work as is, they may need to be sewn. Or maybe not, who knows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC