Checking hbb? (back only)

Jan06twinmom

I have a new option and want opinions...

Would you check two Graco Turbobooster backs only? My hope would be to fit the two backs inside of one box (maybe an original box?) and check it on our flight across country. Would you check it with luggage or gate check it?

I just found out that I can check a car seat for each child free of charge when we fly with US Airways in July. Here's the response I received,
"Each ticketed passenger is allowed to check one car seat or stroller
free of charge in addition to our baggage allowance. Your car seat or
stroller may be checked in with your luggage or at the departure gate.
Items checked at the departure gate will be available for you when you
exit the aircraft."

My twins will be 6.5yo at the time of travel. We will be carrying the nbb with us on the plane and that will be my back-up plan for getting from the airport to the grandparent's house at 11pm at night. Since my twins are new to booster seats, they sleep in the car, and we will be traveling for 3 weeks, I do not want to take only the nbb portion of their car seats.

Thanks so much for your help. When I first tried to figure out ways to transport the car seats, it didn't occur to me that I could check them for free.

Melanie

ADS

rachelandtyke

I've heard many people mentioning checking the backs of their hb TBs in their luggage, not sure if that would provide more protection than a box, unless you plan to use one of the original boxes they came in. I haven't traveled with a booster yet, but have a hbTB that I plan to use for travel and out the back in our luggage.

Jan06twinmom

I've heard many people mentioning checking the backs of their hb TBs in their luggage, not sure if that would provide more protection than a box, unless you plan to use one of the original boxes they came in. I haven't traveled with a booster yet, but have a hbTB that I plan to use for travel and out the back in our luggage.

My original plan was to put the hbb in our luggage - just like you are thinking. But when I tested this idea out, the hbb took up about 1/2 of the space in our larger piece of luggage and more in our smaller bag. I was trying to limit our family of 4 to 2 pieces of luggage for a 3 week trip. That will not be possible with two hbb packed in our luggage.

Melanie

Pixels

If you're checking a box, you might as well check an extra piece of luggage. At least the luggage has a handle and likely wheels as well.

Jan06twinmom

If you're checking a box, you might as well check an extra piece of luggage. At least the luggage has a handle and likely wheels as well.

Except that I can check the car seat for free. If I check another piece of luggage, it will cost $50 ($25 each way).

Melanie

Pixels

You can check the seat for free, but not in a box. If you put it in a box, they will charge you just like they do for any other piece of luggage.

rachelandtyke

You can check the seat for free, but not in a box. If you put it in a box, they will charge you just like they do for any other piece of luggage.

Depends on the airline. I checked the kids' TFs to my parents house on 2 separate trips when they were NIB to get them down there. Each time it counted as one of our free car seats to check. Maybe because they were in original boxes?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Hmm, what if she could use a car seat check bag or something like that. Would that maybe get around the box thing?

trying to brainstorm a bit here.

Although, I don't see as much of an issue with turbo backs, as I would with a harnessed seat. It is for positioning, not holding the child with a harness.

I would pack some duct tape, though, in case the foam got broken in transit.

Jan06twinmom

I'm flying US Airways.

I asked the question about whether I could use pack the car seat in a box and this was the reply, "You can check your carseat in a box, or not." I'm definitely printing out the response to my email questions and having them handy when we check in at the airport.

I have never checked a car seat, because I know it's not safe. We've also used the car seat on the plane. But traveling with booster seats is a whole new ballgame. I'm really torn about whether the checking the back from the hbb would be okay. I would at least want it in a box to keep it protected.

Melanie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC