Question Challenge - puzzle a 2006 sienna

lanwenyi

In 4 days, I have to make the following people fit into a 2006, 8 passenger sienna for 2 weeks:
3 adults (all average sized)
11yo DNiece
9yo DNiece
7yo DNiece
5yo DD
3yo DS

All children need seats in the van. The 11yo is the only one who can safely ride in a backless booster. I do not have current stats on my nieces. I do know that the 9yo fits a Monterrey with 1 click left to grow and that the 7yo outgrew a maestro by torso height at Christmas and currently rides in a hbtb.

Seats avail for puzzling:
Tfp
Radian x2
Avenue x2
Vivo
Parkway sgl
Hbtb
Whatever backless you tell me to go buy for my 11yo niece

I can buy a ffing harnessed seat, but I would rather not.

Dd can ride ffing harnessed or boostered. Dd outgrew the radian rfing recently, so no rfing options for her.
DS can be ffing harnessed, but prefer rfing until 4.

I have an rstv for dd if we cannot find any other way, but it will get old very fast, so I would prefer regular seats if at all possible.

Ready, set, go,

Rep, to the ones with the best puzzle scenarios :) !!!!!

on my phone, please forgive my autocorrect

ADS

ElfJewel

My friend has an 06 Sienna and we just played with seats for a trip. We fit 2 TBs in the 3rd row with a literider in the center. You could try the TB and PKWY outboard back there and see if they would fit with a literider in between. Then maybe Radian center 2nd row, whatever you want in the captains chair and the 3rd adult in the other captains chair.

christineka

second row is not a problem- just the 3rd. Passenger's side can fit just about anything and boosters are easily buckled, due to the stiff stalk. I'd put whichever hbb there that you like. Then ffing tfp or radian for 5 year old. (tfp is easier to install and while it's wide, it flares out and puzzles well with a booster). Get a literider for the driver's side. If you need help puttin in a ffing radian back there, I made an install video. Basically, recline foot should be in. Twist the buckle stalk as many times as you can (not more than 3), push the seat back back install, using all the strength you can muster, then put the seat back in place.

If you have an angle adjuster, put rfing radian second row, outboard with the captain's chair pushed all the way forward. Put whatever booster you like in center (have child try it out to ensure that child can buckle- it's a deep buckle, so hard to do in a booster), then adult on the other side. Kids can access 3rd row from either side if the radian is installed with latch.

ed_tricia

I can fit any three seats in my 2nd row (2004, but same body). Maybe two radians and a booster 3rd row and adult plus any two seats in second row. I think I read about some install issues with radian third row. Back driver side I don't believe has a tether, so rf or booster there.
Does the 11 year old five step in the middle of the second row? That seat is shallower and the belt attaches lower. My niece fit there, but not to my satisfaction on the captain's seat.
Could also put an adult third row. My 200 lb 6' DH has ridden there, but only with one car seat by him, not two.

lanwenyi

My friend has an 06 Sienna and we just played with seats for a trip. We fit 2 TBs in the 3rd row with a literider in the center. You could try the TB and PKWY outboard back there and see if they would fit with a literider in between. Then maybe Radian center 2nd row, whatever you want in the captains chair and the 3rd adult in the other captains chair.
I didn't have a literider to try, so I wasn't able to try this one out yet, but I know that my sis has her eldest in a literider, so if I don't manage to buy one before they get here, I can try out this arrangement once they are here.

second row is not a problem- just the 3rd. Passenger's side can fit just about anything and boosters are easily buckled, due to the stiff stalk. I'd put whichever hbb there that you like. Then ffing tfp or radian for 5 year old. (tfp is easier to install and while it's wide, it flares out and puzzles well with a booster). Get a literider for the driver's side. If you need help puttin in a ffing radian back there, I made an install video. Basically, recline foot should be in. Twist the buckle stalk as many times as you can (not more than 3), push the seat back back install, using all the strength you can muster, then put the seat back in place.
Definitely need that install video, because I could not get a FFing Radian in the 3rd row of the Sienna. Even once I got it tight side to side, I could still pull it forward. I also couldn't get the FFing TFP next to the RFing Radian even without the AA and still have room for a booster in the 3rd seat. I gave up.
If you have an angle adjuster, put rfing radian second row, outboard with the captain's chair pushed all the way forward. Put whatever booster you like in center (have child try it out to ensure that child can buckle- it's a deep buckle, so hard to do in a booster), then adult on the other side. Kids can access 3rd row from either side if the radian is installed with latch.

I can fit any three seats in my 2nd row (2004, but same body). Maybe two radians and a booster 3rd row and adult plus any two seats in second row. I think I read about some install issues with radian third row. Back driver side I don't believe has a tether, so rf or booster there.
Does the 11 year old five step in the middle of the second row? That seat is shallower and the belt attaches lower. My niece fit there, but not to my satisfaction on the captain's seat.
Could also put an adult third row. My 200 lb 6' DH has ridden there, but only with one car seat by him, not two.
No idea if the 11yo will 5step in the second row b/c she's never ridden in the van before. She's on the smaller side though, so I'm not betting on it.
BTW, I'm out of rep, right now, but I'll be back when I have rep again :)

Thanks for the ideas so far.

For now, we broke a rule. DD is rfing. She has just less than 1.5" above her head in the rfing radian. She still has 1" of hard shell above her head, so I'm okay with it, but she is *technically* breaking what Diono has said *online* (but not in my manual) about needing 1.5" above the child's head. However, it was the only way we could get everything to fit. So, this is our current setup (passenger - center - driver)

3rd row:
backless turbo (11yo), rfing Radian (5yo), rfing Radian (3yo)

2nd row:
seatbelt (adult), Vivo (7yo), Parkway SGL (9yo)

That leaves a RFing Avenue in our other car for DS and a FFing TFP in the Miata for the two kids to share. The Vivo is doing dbl duty until my nieces get here.

lanwenyi

Well, I crashed my Saturn (when my brakes locked as I was avoiding other cars, who were avoiding other cars, who were avoiding other cars, who were avoiding a dog wandering down the interstate during rush hour in SoCal), with an Avenue and the Vivo in it, so I moved a few things around. (BTW, I got a concussion out of the accident, but am otherwise fine. I had no other passengers in the car at the time of the accident. The car is not in good shape. I suspect it will be totaled)

We bought a Harmony Cruz for the 11yo (all the WMs around here were sold out of literiders) and it fits beautifully in the 3rd row next to the 2 rfing Radians. It actually fits better than the backless turbo did.

Next, we put the highback back on the turbo, and put the turbo in the middle of the middle row for the 7yo. It's been working so far. Everyone is in and safe.

Thanks again for the help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjbohnert

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC