center back seat -- any rider?

mdsvc89

I recently had occasion to ride in the center position in the back of my mom's Rav4, between DS in a HBB (next to the window -- not nice to puke in grandma's car...) and DD (no seat, 5'4" tall at almost 12 years old.) It was HORRIBLE. It was really hard for me to fasten the seatbelt without engaging the locking retractor, and the shoulder belt rode up on my neck (and I'm 5'5" tall...)
The headrest really wasn't tall enough for me... I decided DD should get the better headrest. Next time we visit we're renting a car...

So, the question is... are the center back seats of any SUVs or sedans really suitable for PEOPLE to sit in?

Michelle

ADS

creideamh

No. :p 5 people, no way... 5 seatbelts, sure. ;)

My SUPER skinny just-turned-11 y/o cousin is the only person I know that can fit in the center of the Prius and Forester, and even though she 5 steps everywhere, the center shoulder belt is so narrowly placed (in both cars) that she still uses a Bubblebum there.

Keeanh

Depends how wide the vehicle is. The wider SUVs & cars are perfectly fine for 3 people / car seats. A Rav4... uh, not so much :p

VoodooChile

I'd say it depends on the vehicle. I can sit comfortably in the center of the 2nd row of my Pilot (between any seats I've had in there so far). I have only sat outboard in the 3rd row though.

jacqui276

I can sit comfortably in the center of my mom's CRV. DH has a RAV4 though and that seat is basically unusable because of how ridiculously tiny it is and how stupid the seat belts are with crossing over and such.

I can sit comfortably in my Protege5's back center seat as long as there aren't big bulky car seats on their side of me. DH sat back there recently between a via and a backless turbobooster and while it was tight, he fit. We have fairly small bums in my family though. :p My only concern with a lot of the center seats is a lack of head support.

oddduck

I've sat in the center back of my moms truck (with 2 car seats) -- car seats didn't even touch me.

I've also sat in the center back of my fusion with 2 (WIDE) car seats and it was pretty tight. Belt fit was fine though, and I had good head support.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC