Car seat inspections

KimmyT

I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this thread, so feel free to move it if needed.

I am the chairperson of my neighborhood's community watch, and we are going to be putting on a Crime Prevention event in October. It may be a stretch (as a community watch), but since we are going to be offering fingerprinting for kids, etc., I was thinking that we could also offer car seat inspections.

If the event is just a few hours long, what is the feasibility of accomplishing this? How many car seat checks can a person do in a few hours time? What should I expect to pay per inspector? If the inspections are a roaring success, what is the likelihood of having an inspector come to our neighborhood on a monthly basis to do inspections at our clubhouse?

Thanks in advance for your input.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it's a great idea. I would start by contacting a local SafeKids chapter or coalition. They might be looking for a place to hold a check, and it might work out well. Or even if they're not, there might be techs available that can help.

If it were done in conjunction with SafeKids, you probably wouldn't have to pay anything (though providing food for the techs is always nice). If you find techs who can do it on their own, fees can range from free up to...who knows what. But it's definitely worth contacting some people to find out.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Great idea!

Definitely get in touch with your local SafeKids! Around here, we would bring the van, provide techs and the needed supplies. Our techs are almost all volunteer; the only ones paid are those paid their hourly wage through their jobs to volunteer at the event. We do give gift cards to our techs - I think they are paid for by SK, not sure, actually. But still, no cost to those hosting the check. The only cost might be if you wanted to provide lunch - sometimes places will provide a Subway tray, bagged chips and canned soda, which the techs always appreciate. Your local SK coalition would be able to give you their particular guidelines, though :)

nannykates

Also wanted to mention some areas have a county or city child passenger safety program that operates outside safekids. Everyone checking seats should be certified child passenger safety technicians.

Its great that you want to bring this service to your community!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC