Car Seat advice for Grandma with 2015 Toyota Tacoma Ext Cab

A

Adventure Nana

I've recently moved next door to my grandkids and am looking for a car seat that will fit in the back of my 2015 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab. My son's car seat won't fit, but there's several easily accessible latch points on both the rear seats. my GD is 4.5 y/o and 40-50 lbs. Anyone have advice on finding a car seat that will work for us?

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I've recently moved next door to my grandkids and am looking for a car seat that will fit in the back of my 2015 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab. My son's car seat won't fit, but there's several easily accessible latch points on both the rear seats. my GD is 4.5 y/o and 40-50 lbs. Anyone have advice on finding a car seat that will work for us?
Hello and welcome. I apologize for the delay. I assume your GD is forward-facing? What car seat did you try, in which vehicle seat and what seemed to prevent it from fitting?

Some midsize extended cab trucks have short seat cushions and minimal legroom. Some conventional harnessed car seats may not work well and perhaps that is what happened? One alternative is a travel vest like this one that will not take up any legroom: https://amzn.to/3CfKqqB

Another possibility is a booster seat if you think your 4.5 year-old is ready to be in a booster such that they can remain seated properly the whole trip.

A

Adventure Nana

Thanks for the car seat advice! Because of the minimal room in the extended cab and the short seat, I needed a very upright car seat to ensure 80% of the car seat base sits on the cab seat. Based on the recommendation of the car seat technician at our local police dept I purchased the Graco Tranzitions 3 in 1 car seat. Not only will it grow with my GD it is easy to take out and reinstall AND it meets my DIL's requirements!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avalon416

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC