Can't install diono radian RXT into 2011 Honda Pilot using seat belt!! HELP!!!

keiker12

So my kids are reaching the max weight for the superlatch and I really love my radian RXT seats..... I just can NOT install them using the seatbelt. I can't get a tight fit at all. I have called diono and honda and car seat install experts and NO ONE can help me. The problem is that my buckle is too tall and so when I try to get the seat tight it hits the belt path and I can't get it tight.... its a VERY loose install. I have tried all the tricks... reclining the seat during install.... twisting the belt (female end) 3 full turns... still not a tight install. I am hitting my head against a wall. I have been researching and reinstalling seats for days... I hope someone can help me!!! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In addition to reclining the seat and twisting the stalk, make sure the forward facing recline is out and then push one knee down into the seat (just as much weight as you'd do with your hand, you're not trying to be mean to the seat) and the back knee back into the seat, so you're pushing it toward the trunk. Make sure your hands are in the belt path pulling the belt tight. You can also unbuckle it after you've done this, let it click back a few clicks, then rebuckle it. Pull the Pilot's seat back upright, and you should be ok. But I won't lie. This is one of the few combinations where I actually left my own install rather than have the parents redo it for me. They watched me do it and practically swore on their kids' lives they would never remove them from the car until they switched the child to a booster in a few months. This is not an easy combination.

Wendy

D

Dmeech999

For those like me searching for answers to this exact question related to 2016+ Honda Pilot and the Diono RTX. I figured out a solution to get the seat tight.

1) push the second row seat all the way back in its tracks. Recline it as well to the Diono’s back is parallel to seat back.

2) install the diono with seatbelt per instructions which came with the car seat, take out as much slack as possible by putting your weight on it. The seat will have too much play as described by original poster.

3) push the 2nd row seat forward in its tracks until it won’t go further. Have someone push the seat from back to get the tightest fit

4) since the seatbelt position is fixed, pushing the 2nd row seat forward will take up any slack in the seatbelt and make the diono seat very secure. Mine has zero play after doing this.

problem solved!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC