Question Canadian regulations

cantabdad

We'll be in Ontario briefly next month just wanted to make sure we'd be in compliance with your regulations. Is the Bubble Bum approved for use in Canada? Our documentation mentions FMVSS, but not CMVSS, and the company's website doesn't seem to have Canadian information. It seems like Ontario law is OK with a booster for kids over 40 lbs.

Also, we'd planned to use a Britax Roundabout on the airplane. I called the airline (Porter Airlines) and they said that would be fine -- but I'd like to be prepared just in case we encounter a tetchy flight attendant. Is there a directive or factsheet from Transport Canada I can show? (My understanding is that TC encourages, but does not outright require, Canadian-certified air carriers to allow parents to use an approved CRS.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
ADS

tam_shops

Hi and welcome!

Your Britax manual should have something in it that specifically says it is approved for aviation.

Here, we are supposed to be able to show our CMVSS which is also approved for aviation. It however, is up to the flight attendant and over the years I've read a number of problems/complaints about it not being that simple.

Does the Roundabout fit in a plane's seat, did you check the size/width on their site and/or with them. I fly rarely but the biggest complaint I have seen/heard is about seats not fitting and/or people looking for a seat small enough to fit. I'd guess the base would fit into the space, but the upper part of the seat would hang over. Again, I fly rarely, so this is just an educated guess (and question for you to ask your air carrier) from what I have read over the years.

The Roundabout itself was approved to use here. Yours, however, wouldn't have the official CMVSS 213 or 213.1 approval we would need to use it here. The Bumblebum is not approved here. However, you are a visitor and they can not possibly expect you to run out and buy new seats for a vacation. If you were driving here in an American registered car, we are supposed to have specific provisions in the law that permits this. I'd assume (but do not know) the same for Rental cars.

Private cars are another story. Though, the odds of anyone stopping you to check are slim. The odds they know exactly what to look for are slim. If it were a skilled tech she'd probably be more excited to see the Bubblebum IRL than ticket you! LOL Further, to be a more common practice for Canadians to buy certain American car seats b/c our own supply for larger harnessed seats was too slim. That has been corrected and I now only know one IRL person w/ foreign seats.

Sorry, I wish I could give you more specifics on the legalities, perhaps someone else will know more!

tam

cantabdad

Thanks for the info - that's great. We'll be in a Canadian rental car for a grand total of about 2 hours, so I will probably take my chances with the Bubble Bum even if it is not yet officially approved in Canada.

The Roundabout is indeed approved for aviation use and has a sticker to that effect on the side of the shell. We've used it on a number of aircraft of different sizes with no installation problems, but I was curious as to the official Canadian aviation rules. I don't expect that we'll have any problems with Porter Airlines, but it never hurts to be prepared.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I've flown Porter with car seats and had no problems. The FAA sticker on the seat should be fine; it wouldn't hurt to bring your manual stating it's approved for air craft use. I believe that Canada and the US have reciprocal agreements re aircraft approval of child restraints.

A child must be 40lbs to be in a booster in Canada. I don't know what the Bubblebum is rated to at its lower limit, but as Tam said, it's unlikely anyone would check.

I don't know of any specific exemption in Ontario for visitors driving Ontario-registered vehicles (out of province or country vehicles are exempt from booster laws for the time being). However, it's unlikely anyone would ticket you although it's not technically legal so far as I know.

Do be aware that if you are using your Roundabout FF in a vehicle that you must top tether it by law. That is something someone would notice. Any rental vehicle you get in Ontario would have clearly marked top tether anchors.

Good luck and enjoy your visit!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC