Question Canada: 3 across (with a booster) in a 2005 Civic - help?

mikesalvatore

Hi!
I spent my weekend researching and browsing tens of threads on this forum. I found so many answers for *almost* our car seat situation.

Our kids are 5 months, 2 years and 6 years old. The baby needs to RF, the toddler could RF for a few more months at most, and the 6 year old needs a booster.

We got a 2005 civic last week.
We have a Marathon and 2 wide things that will never fit. Cost is an issue, but safety is more important.

Here are some of our challenges:

1. Marathons puzzle well with Radians when they face the same direction, but since we have to have 1 FF and 1 RF, we won't be able to take advantage of that setup.
2. We live in a rural area, and we don't have access to any stores that have lots of car seats to test. We could drive 200km to get to one...and we might end up doing that.
3. We are in Canada. Canadians can't have nice things like bubble bums, ride safer travel vests, and probably not mifolds when they get released later this year (or ever...?)

So, we are getting ready to drop hundreds of dollars on car seats based on forum replies. Our fingers are crossed. Any ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hmm... challenging!

I am hoping a Canadian tech will come along to help, but will offer my thoughts until a tech gets here.

For now, and this will be a pain in the neck, but you might need to do put the booster-rider in the center, and have him climb through the front to get to his seat. You will certainly need a VERY narrow booster even then.

I hope someone from Canada will have a better idea!

mikesalvatore

I agree - it's not ideal, but the booster will probably have to be in the centre. We tested a Radian today, but the store didn't have any boosters that fit in between the Radian and our Marathon. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I am thinking Marathon rear facing behind the passenger, Radian rear facing in the centre, and then booster rider behind the driver. Not sure if the baby would go in the Marathon or the Radian, which ever one was reclined more due to the puzzling. Why can the 2 year old only rear face for a few months more at most?

And that being said, I have no idea if that would fit. We have the same class of vehicle as our second car (we were choosing between it and the Civic) and I can't quite see how 3 seats of any sort would fit. That being said, I *think* the Civic back seat is flatter than ours. Ours dips down a bunch for the outboard passengers so the centre bit is narrow and does not work well with boosters.

Is your Marathon the Click Tight version that has more recline levels? as that version can take up less from to back room than the regular Marathon so may be good for the toddler.

Mary_Ann

I would try a rear facing Radian on one side, with the Britax rear facing in the middle. For the 6 yo, I would grab a cheap Harmony backless sold at Walmart. It should fits under the Britax. It won't be fun to buckle though.

mikesalvatore

Wow! I'm seeing some interesting suggestions.
I've been assuming that our 2 year old will have to be front facing in a few months because he's going through a growth spurt. He's around 30 pounds now. I guess we have a while to go, but these things tend to sneak up on us.

The Marathon isn't a click tight version, we got it in 2010.

@Mary_Ann - by Harmony backless, do you mean the "Harmony youth booster seat"?
Posted via Mobile Device

SnoGurl

What are the heights and weights of the kiddos? You may be able to do two RF nexts and a booster. I'm going to PM a Canadian tech who I *think* had a civic in the same body style, she will hopefully have some ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikesalvatore

Thank you SnoGurl!
6 year old: 53lbs., 48" (3 months ago)
2 year old: 30lbs., 35" (3 months ago)
Baby: 17lbs., 27" (last month)
(sorry if this is a repost, I think my posts might be getting stuck in a moderation queue because I'm new?)
Posted via Mobile Device

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
(sorry if this is a repost, I think my posts might be getting stuck in a moderation queue because I'm new?)
Posted via Mobile Device

You should have received an e-mail with an authentication link. If you click that, it should solve your moderation issue. (We do get to them as quickly as we can, but there's not always a moderator online to do it.)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I had an 03 Civic. This is going to be difficult.

With the size that your two year old is, and a Radian, you should be able to rear-face a really long time yet. You've got 10-15lbs in weight (depending on which seat you use) and 9" of height. That's ages and ages of time.

Does your 05 have a head rest in the centre? My 03 did not. That complicates boosters there, plus there's a really skinny hump that is wobbly for boosters.

The 2010 Marathon - is it a "classic" type one, or a G2? I've linked to the different ones so you can see. Depending on what it is it will expire this year, or next year. It also may have a 32" standing height limit.

Your six year old is of a size that attempting to continue to harness would not solve anything for very long. So let's disregard that as a viable option.

If you could get back to us about which Marathon we can start from there :)

mikesalvatore

The Marathon is a "classic" type.

We had been under the assumption that it expires next year based on the Transport Canada website:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...c_id=xflou&WT.mc_id=cgaip&WT.mc_id=wjzio#ref1

It was in safe/heated storage for 4 years while we were living abroad, so it hasn't seen the wear that constant (or even occasional) use, sunlight & spills that most older car seats do. All of the reasons that car seats expire listed on Transport Canada's website don't apply (but we are open to others). I wonder which component in the classic Marathon makes it expire 1 year earlier? If we need to push it a little bit past its expiry, I wouldn't be TOO concerned, but even if we were to follow the strictest rules we could still use it until this fall.

There is no head rest in the middle seat :(

Thanks for your help so far!
Posted via Mobile Device

Pixelated

The TC link is incorrect for the generation of seat you have. The white-shelled Classic Marathon is good for six years from date of manufacture.

The baby at 27" will fit for a little bit yet, so you need a plan now that includes the Marathon, and a new plan for the fall once that seat expires.

I think I'd try a rear-facing Radian outboard with angle adjuster. That leaves the seat quite upright with enough room for a medium height person to sit in the front seat. I might try a Scenera NEXT in the centre, or a Graco Dimensions/Contender. For now the Marathon, but look ahead to see if one of the other two will work. Then a booster behind the driver (or passenger if your driver is short enough to keep the Radian behind it). I can't remember which side has the outboard and centre seat belt buckles though - but that's where I'd put both harnessed seats if I could, to avoid the booster rider accidentally unbuckling the centre harnessed seat.

I'd be inclined to do the Radian outboard and whatever other seat centre to leave more room to buckle the booster. The Radian, while narrow, doesn't have that 'cut out' shape at the bottom that makes it easier to fit a hand in.

Try a Harmony backless booster and see if that works.

This is just guessing as I've never done a three-across in that vehicle. You will need to do all seat belt installs to be able to shift the seats a tad to where you need them to be.

mikesalvatore

Thank you, Pixelated.
It seems like there might not be anyone who has done a 3 across installation that includes a booster in a 2001-2005 civic. It might be wise for me to find a way to test Radians / Nexts / Harmony backless boosters.

Are you aware of any stores in Southwest Ontario that sell the seats you listed? Looks like it's road trip time...! So far I've only found Scenera Nexts on Walmart's website, and they are out of stock everywhere.

Mary_Ann

Thank you, Pixelated.
It seems like there might not be anyone who has done a 3 across installation that includes a booster in a 2001-2005 civic. It might be wise for me to find a way to test Radians / Nexts / Harmony backless boosters.

Are you aware of any stores in Southwest Ontario that sell the seats you listed? Looks like it's road trip time...! So far I've only found Scenera Nexts on Walmart's website, and they are out of stock everywhere.

Wal-Mart let you return seats. You can order them online and take them back to the nearest store if they don't fit.

Pixelated

Do you want to PM me and tell me where exactly you are, or could travel to in SW Ontario? I wonder if you are near a tech with a large collection of seats who would be able to help.

dogmelissa

I'm not a tech, but I do have a child with almost identical stats to your 6 yr old (who is turning 6 this week). What are the seated shoulder heights on your older ones?
Would you consider keeping your 6 yr old harnessed? It may not help with the width problem, but it'd buy some time and maybe not cost a fortune in new seats.

Walmart is the only Canadian retailer for the Harmony Defender - it has a very high top harness height (19") and then converts to a high back or backless booster. It's also inexpensive at $160. You can order it through Walmart online if necessary.

The Radian has top slots for FF that top out at 17" - its why we are moving to the Defender with ours - but is narrow, has very high rear facing weigh limits and kept my "little" one RF until after her 4th birthday, when she was too tall for the allowed RF slots. We used the angle adjusted to get it more upright in our vehicles but none were as little as a Civic.

Hope that helps and good luck,
Melissa
Posted via Mobile Device

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC