Can I put a forward facing child up front?

C

Cassidy

I got into a wreck in my minivan and it is currently undrivable for two days, so my dad let me borrow his Chevy Malibu. I have four children, a newborn-- who is obviously in a rear facing infant carrier-- a three year old, five year old, and six year old, all in forward facing, five point harness car seats. The Malibu doesn't fit all the kids in the back, and I need to be able to drive because that's how I make an income. My kids are nearly always with me when I drive for work. I have zero options for a sitter, and zero options to borrow another car or rent one. When I say my only options are to either put my six year old up front in her car seat, or not be able to pay my rent this Saturday, I literally mean that those are my only two options. I checked in the manual to see if I was able to disable the airbag, and that isn't an option either. My six year old is around 49-52 pounds and is exactly four feet tall (48 inches). Would it be okay to put her up front, forward facing in her car seat?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I got into a wreck in my minivan and it is currently undrivable for two days, so my dad let me borrow his Chevy Malibu. I have four children, a newborn-- who is obviously in a rear facing infant carrier-- a three year old, five year old, and six year old, all in forward facing, five point harness car seats. The Malibu doesn't fit all the kids in the back, and I need to be able to drive because that's how I make an income. My kids are nearly always with me when I drive for work. I have zero options for a sitter, and zero options to borrow another car or rent one. When I say my only options are to either put my six year old up front in her car seat, or not be able to pay my rent this Saturday, I literally mean that those are my only two options. I checked in the manual to see if I was able to disable the airbag, and that isn't an option either. My six year old is around 49-52 pounds and is exactly four feet tall (48 inches). Would it be okay to put her up front, forward facing in her car seat?
It isn't ideal but you're not in an ideal situation. Double check that your belt locks, or you'll need a locking clip. And minimize trips with the kids as much as you can. You just have to do the best you can sometimes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HessMom

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC