Buying new primary vehicle- regular cab vs crew

Numommy

We have to buy me another vehicle, and our old farm truck fits our lifestyle perfectly. So the husband thinks we should buy a new model one. It is a regular cab Z71. I love the truck but I am concerned about the safety.
Our children FF in Radians. They are 2.5 and almost 4. Each weighs 38-40 pounds, it bounces a little, and both are on next to top shoulder strap. Yes, the 2.5 yo is a chunk :)
Our options are limited to Chevy and possibly GMC due to professional ties with Chevy.
I really don't know anything, so all is welcome, including where to research it. I do want the truck,but I want my babies safe.
TIA!

ADS

AK Dad

I think a crew cab is well worth it, particularly for a primary vehicle. But then we drive a '07 Sierra crew cab dually as our daily driver, so maybe I'm just crazy!
Only reason I'd say stick with a regular cab would be to keep the wheelbase short if you're worried about offroad capes (like breakover angle, etc.) or ease of parking. I do hate parking our dually, but since we want the capabilities it offers it still makes more sense to just use it daily than to buy a 3rd vehicle.

Keeanh

If you're looking at Silverados, I would get a crew cab because of the 3 headrests in the back as opposed to the 2 headrests in the extended cab.

ETA: Just googled some pics, and there may be a 3rd headrest in the extended as well... I only had a quick look in one in person so I may have been mistaken.

Regardless, we have a crew cab Tundra and the space difference between that and an extended cab is amazing. It's almost embarrassing how much room is in that back seat. I can slide it forward and have a "trunk" behind the back seats that's as big as the trunk in our old hatchback LOL.

Numommy

Thanks for the quick replies!
lf it were just me I would buy the regular cab. I prefer it out here on these dirt roads, and especially the parking when I go to work (parking garage). And, no hauling other children around (truth :hide: ) and less to clean.
I've been looking at the safety ratings, and they look as good as the crew cab...that cant cant be right can it?
Like in all things, if we find a good deal on a good vehicle, that's what it will come to, I know. But if that good deal is on regular, extended, or crew I am hoping to get the one with the safety edge. So I am trying to figure if there is one :)

T4K

I think new Chevys prohibit a child restraint to be installed in the center. Even in a regular cab.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew cab and its amazing how much room it has. It's a super comfy ride too. We are really happy with out truck.

Dorothy

I think new Chevys prohibit a child restraint to be installed in the center. Even in a regular cab.

I have a 2011 Silverado Crew cab and its amazing how much room it has. It's a super comfy ride too. We are really happy with out truck.

Correct, Chevy prohibits child restraint use in the front center. So, ITA about going with the crew cab. :)

Keeanh

Oh! I totally misunderstood. I thought you were talking about Crew vs Extended cabs. Not actually a REGULAR cab. There are 4 of you and only 3 so-called seats. Besides not being able to put a child restraint in the middle, that seat is unsafe for anyone out of a car seat and therefore utterly useless. So a regular cab is only 2 seats for 4 people.

canadiangie

I too thought you were debating an extended cab versus a crew cab.

Since you're used to having the kids in the front, I'm wondering if your seats have been top tethered up until now? If not, and you do move into an extended or crew cab model, can you please be sure to read the owner's manual of the truck and learn how to top tether in there. It's a bit of an odd set-up in most trucks, so be sure to reference the manual.

Top tethering is really important for forward facing children. It's absolutely something you want to be doing if you have the means. :)

Also, do you have the SafeStop on your Radians right now?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC