Buy new RF seats, or switch to forward facing?

diaperjoys

Our littlest has always been above the 95th percentile for both height and weight. She turned 3 in January, and is about 38 lbs. fully dressed. We've got to figure out what to do about seats, and we'd love some input! I was targeting 4 years, or at least 3.5 for turning her ff, but she won't make it that long in her seats.

Seat #1 - Boulevard ClickTight. Almost outgrown rf, this will fit her super well forward facing.

Seat #2 - Roundabout 55. She is at the limit for height in this seat, and I checked the fit forward facing today. As expected, she has 1/4" growing room before she hits the top slots. So she's pretty much outgrown this seat no matter which way she faces.

We have to replace the Roundabout, that much is clear. Do we purchase a seat with a 50 lb. rf limit? Two seats? Or look for a ff seat? We have to be careful with funds, but I can see spending >200 for a seat.

Are bigger toddlers more prone to neck/spine injury? I read somewhere that bigger baby= bigger head, but their spine maturation doesn't have anything to do with their size - it is strictly age. So, maybe she needs the extended rear facing more than our other children, not less??

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At this age she'd be wonderfully safe forward facing with a top tether. If you'd like to rear face her longer, she'd be even more wonderfully safe. Your logic makes sense, though I don't know that I've heard of or seen any studies to show it. But we also know that at three kids do well forward facing, regardless of their size.

Do you need recommendations, or just guidance?

Wendy

diaperjoys

Yes, recommendations, please. She is so big that she will push seat limits, so top slots, shell height, etc. really matter for her.

When I was thinking of rf longer I was eyeing the Graco extend 2 fit. Not sure how that would continue to work once she is ff.

For a combination seat, I really don't know. The Nautilus used to be the go-to seat for high top slots, but there are so many of them now, and I don't really have time to figure out the differences. And maybe there are other options out there now.

Once she is booster age (she'll be on the late side of booster readiness) I tend to prefer dedicated boosters because they are so much lighter and easier to switch around.

We're driving an '03 Odyssey and an '05 Chevy Express.

Thank you!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
For rear facing I'd look at the Graco Extend2Fit and Safety 1st Grow and Go EX Air (the EX is important).

For forward, the Britax combos: Pioneer, Frontier, and Pinnacle.

Wendy

brooksfamily

In your situation at your price point I'd probably forward face her in the Britax and if you want to continue to rearface get a Graco E2F, which has a 50 pound rf limit and an 18 inch harness height. The top harness slot is only .5 inches less than your Britax.

If you are ok forward facing in all vehicles than I'd go with a Britax Frontier or Pioneer (which ever you can afford) which will get you more harness height than either convertible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pcarter

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC