bus stop: walk there in steady rain or let 3-5yo ride in front seat?

Athena

My street has ZERO sidewalks so middle of street is what you HAVE to do to walk to the bus stop.

Why the middle of the street? We live on a quiet little street with very little traffic and no side walks and we walk on the grass off the side of the street. Or if we're on wheeled transportation (scooters, bikes), we're riding at the side (e.g. shoulder) of the street. Of course, when there's snow piled up (e.g. after a blizzard), then walking would not be advisable, but the rest of the time ...

If it's three doors down, as long as there are sidewalks, no streets to cross... I'm not sure how you'd get hit.

Or often without sidewalks too. ;)

I don't get it at all. The walk from our school's parking lot to the front door (outside of which I must wait for my kids in whatever the weather may be) is as far as 3 doors down and then I still have to get the kids in the car (and I've gotten soaked many times). I don't enjoy it, but sometimes you just have to toughen up and get through it.

ADS

YinzerMama

It happens, and it's hard not to be worried if it's JUST happened locally, but it's not as likely to happen as people think it is. I think people's fear of this has lead to less kids outside, less neighbors watching out for each others kids, less neighborhood connections, and less safety. Most abductions remain cases of the kidnapper knowing the kidnapped, but the perception now remains that strangers are out to grab your child.

Athena

D&L's-mommy

I had to let you guys know the bus stop "drama" today (I say it's drama, no one else seemed phased by it, except DH who :jaw:) One of the kindergarteners mom's drove her down to the bus stop this morning (beautiful fall day, they live 7 sets of closely spaced semi-detached houses down from the bus stop), the little girl was in the front seat, standing, with literally, the top half of her body hanging out the window! the window was open and her hips were rested on the edge of the window frame, hanging out of the window with her arms spread open. It was so bad, my 5 yo even commented that she's worried the girl was going to get hurt

bnsnyde

To me it sends a message that it's OK to be in the front at age 3. To a kid, that's a no no. So, it was a poor decision on their part.

I'd do the rain. Each and every time. And maybe those parents will wake up and think about it, seeing you. At least, hold your ground. Even feel free to explain why...heck, get graphic. Words like internal decapitation are words I always long to use in conversation... "Oh, I just could not risk internal decapitation of little Johnny..."

Baylor

Thank you! Speaking from the point of view of actually having had a close call when I was a child, it really can and does happen. If my friend's mom hadn't been nearby, it's frightening to think what those men might have done to us. We were lucky.

Yes. It does. Kids go missing all the time. Right from their own homes.. It is not something I can dismiss.

Baylor

I had to let you guys know the bus stop "drama" today (I say it's drama, no one else seemed phased by it, except DH who :jaw:) One of the kindergarteners mom's drove her down to the bus stop this morning (beautiful fall day, they live 7 sets of closely spaced semi-detached houses down from the bus stop), the little girl was in the front seat, standing, with literally, the top half of her body hanging out the window! the window was open and her hips were rested on the edge of the window frame, hanging out of the window with her arms spread open. It was so bad, my 5 yo even commented that she's worried the girl was going to get hurt

That is really a shame. I will not ever get this.

VoodooChile

Back in August, I saw someone driving like that down a pretty main road! Kid hanging all the way out the window. This road led to one of the main expressways too, so I remember wondering if that's where they were going--65 mph with a kid 2/3 of the way out of the window. My 4 y/o ds asked me "Why is that boy out of the window instead of in his car seat?" Why, indeed.

vmmatula

Along with saying something about the unrestrained kids, I would probably make fun of those moms for driving a few hundred feet. That's ridiculous.

That's what I was thinking only to the extent that we'd be hamming it up along the way so my kids were having so much fun "walking" to the bus that the others would all be jealous! even in icky whether, why not enjoy it?!? :dance:

amelia222

Do they never play outside either? Yesterday I made my 4yo walk, in the pouring rain, 5 whole blocks to a playdate. She happily put on her boots and jacket and splashed in the puddles on the way. I will never understand some peoples' logic.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I actually don't think these parents are doing it to save their kids from getting wet. I think they are doing it to keep THEMSELVES from getting wet.

D&L's-mommy

See that I call and report.. I have the county non emergency in my phone..

That would be worth a 911 call.

I thought about calling and reporting it buy by the time the cops would have gotten there they'd be out of the car. to make matters worst my dd is friends with this girl, we've had play dates together. dd said she told her friend that she should be sitting in the back seat in her booster with her seatbelt, and that she rides in a harness because sometimes she forgets to sit still and her harness helps her remember, so maybe she should ask her mom to get her a seat with a harness to help her remember to sit in the right place :love: After seeing both this girls parents showing no concern for child safety in the car, I'm definitely going to keep going along to this girls house for playdates, I don't want dd going alone, which sounds terrible, They're very nice people, but I just can't get past that. If they're ok with letting their 5 year old hang out the front window of a moving car what else do they think is acceptable that I don't?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
A guy in my neighborhood was also killed pulling out of his driveway. (Trigger ahead) A friend of mine witnessed the accident and was trying to save the guy's life while his brains were leaking out and his mother was standing there crying "he was just going for some cigarettes" over and over as if somehow that was going to undo the fact that her son was dying before her eyes.

We do not enter a public roadway without everyone properly restrained. Would I drive the kids down my own private driveway in the back seat without buckling? Hmm. Maybe. If I had a good reason. But probably not even then. Down the block to the bus stop? I'd walk or everyone would buckle. Period.

Baylor

I thought about calling and reporting it buy by the time the cops would have gotten there they'd be out of the car. to make matters worst my dd is friends with this girl, we've had play dates together. dd said she told her friend that she should be sitting in the back seat in her booster with her seatbelt, and that she rides in a harness because sometimes she forgets to sit still and her harness helps her remember, so maybe she should ask her mom to get her a seat with a harness to help her remember to sit in the right place :love: After seeing both this girls parents showing no concern for child safety in the car, I'm definitely going to keep going along to this girls house for playdates, I don't want dd going alone, which sounds terrible, They're very nice people, but I just can't get past that. If they're ok with letting their 5 year old hang out the front window of a moving car what else do they think is acceptable that I don't?
I give the license plate, the road they are traveling on and the description of child and driver. What happens after that I don't know. But I do report it.

auto correct hates me

katymyers

Reading this makes me sick. A close friend of mine was killed in high school when his mother was coming to a stop he opened the door and started to hop out. His foot got caught and he came down head first against the curb. She wasn't even driving it was seconds before coming to a complete stop and her son was a well coordinated, athletic 17 year old. I can't even imagine driving with a FIVE year old hanging out of my car.

VoodooChile

I thought about calling and reporting it buy by the time the cops would have gotten there they'd be out of the car.

I thought they meant me. I did call. We were right on the border of 2 municipalities, one of which I was pretty sure wouldn't do anything. I was actually hoping that since we were so close to the expressway that Highway Patrol would take the call. They do not mess around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC