Bubble Bum & comfort

aeormsby

I think we'll be getting a bubble bum for (another) extra booster. For travel and for the occasional time we might want to fit 5 people in the Mazda3 when we get it (seems like it will fit in the middle better than my behind ;)). So I was thinking it might be nice to have for the trip we're taking in April but then I realized we'd be driving for 4 hours one way when we're there. Has anyone used it for longer drives and had any issues with comfort? If we don't get the BB we'd be taking the Harmony Literider.

I guess the kids could switch halfway through if it makes a difference. I plan on getting a Literider for DS before the trip and thought taking the BB & 1 NBB might be easier than the 2 NBB (not that 2 NBB are a big deal, but 1 would be easier).

ADS

Ali

We have 2 BubbleBums and they are great for carpools, airline/train travel, etc. DD doesn't like it after about an hour. She says it's not comfortable. We have flown with the BB and a LiteRider and DD preferred the LiteRider for when we had a 2+ hour drive after the flight.

BTW: I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and it fits very well in the center back seat. Only problem is that I don't have a headrest in the center.

aeormsby

We have 2 BubbleBums and they are great for carpools, airline/train travel, etc. DD doesn't like it after about an hour. She says it's not comfortable. We have flown with the BB and a LiteRider and DD preferred the LiteRider for when we had a 2+ hour drive after the flight.

BTW: I have a 2010 Mazda 3 and it fits very well in the center back seat. Only problem is that I don't have a headrest in the center.

Thanks. We're getting the new 2014 Mazda3, it has 3 headrests (YAY!). For the test drive with the family I squeezed myself between the Literider & PWSGL. Getting buckled was the hardest part.

So maybe we'll stick with the 2 literiders for travel and think about if it makes sense to get the BB for travel with shorter drives & as a 3rd spare.

mommyfrog

I haven't used it on any long trips, but my older booster riders say it is uncomfortable and would rather use their Harmony boosters for any ride. My youngest has used the BB two times and the Harmony maybe once or twice. He loves the BB. I think it's because he's much smaller so more of his bum and legs are actually supported by the booster. The bigger kids, not so much. They seem to hang off the edges and so it's more wobbly. They barely squeeze into the Harmony boosters now though, so I'm looking at Incognitos for them. Youngest is about 45-46 inches and 48 pounds, the other two are 4'7" and 4'9" and around 90 pounds. Anyway, my point is, if your booster riders are smaller, the BB will likely be more comfy for them than if they're bigger.

rachelandtyke

DD1 loved the BB when we took it on our trip to Canada. We had a 3-4 hour drive to and from the airport, and she never complained about comfort. She is approx. 48 in and 48 lbs.

cookie123

Hannah isn't a big fan, but she tolerates it because she has to. It's about the only option I have for 3 across in my Prius.

scoutingbear

My kid rode on one for a 4 day road trip from southern CA to Spokane when he was 8. Never complained about the seat. Just about the shoulder belt despite my best efforts and those of a CPST named Judi that we met up with in the middle of nowhere try and adjust things for him. He lived through it though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My kids fight over which one gets the bubblebum, despite apparent lack of leg support. So it isn't an issue for them! If a kid is whining, you could throw something lightweight under their feet for a footrest (perhaps a duffel full of clothes if traveling...)

aeormsby

Thanks everyone.

I'm still debating. I might just order the BB and let DD try it out a little before we go and see which one she likes more for the trip. I think it will be handy to have even if we don't use it for this trip. She sometimes complains about the literider not being comfy so she might prefer the BB.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC