Britax Snob

ADS

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
There are 'brand snobs' in every level. Doesn't mean we don't like and use other brands...right now I own and use everything from Evenflo (which I adore...other than the SK400 which I despise), SKJP, Recaro to Britax. I've had a love affair with all of them at some point or another...I just happen to have had more Britax's and tend to drool over their covers. LOL I also love their built in lock offs, LBP installs (FR85) and rear facing tethers. Those features set them apart from the majority of other brands. As for the cost, for the features that are important to me, they are worth it. If those features aren't important to you, you might be able to find a seat without them for less and love it as much (or more) than I do my Britax's. Right this moment, my 2 FR85's are sitting in my living room while my SKJP seats are in the car. Why?? Because they are what I need at this moment and what works. Out of all the seats I have in 3 cars, only one is a Britax. But I still love me some Britax. And FTR, I hate cow. LOL

miraclebabies

I'm not a snob about only having to drive Britax seats around... I love the easy install, the matching Cow and they work really well in my vehicle. I bought my first one when Dd1 was little and it's what I liked and picked at the time. She's tall and skinny and for the lack of legroom in the DC (which was replaced in a wreck) we went with the FR85 cuz it matched the other cows and well I got a awesome deal on it we LOVE it too. I have always wanted to swap out seats and try the Recaro, TF and Myride but money is tight and I won't get enough selling mine to just "try" out some different seats. So we are just keeping the ones we have.

Cath3114

YinzerMama said:
My non-expert opinion is that the top-tier Britax seats are selling you extra peace of mind without compelling proof to justify the premium price. I am a-ok with the Marathon level of seats, the Boulevard may have some more user friendly features, not sure... but I personally wouldn't go top tier Britax.

Again, non-expert.

We have the regular FR85s... I think the SICT (sp?) ones are over the top, too much money, too wide, and don't come in cow. (Well, don't come in cow is fact, not opinion)

It actually kind of bugs me how Britax pushes these top tier seats as safer because to me that is like saying something else you sell is not as safe, even though it is still pretty pricey... kind of like, why would you sell a less safe seat at all if you care so much about safety? Not really sure how to put that. I think the lower tier seats are totally totally safe. I just feel like they're milking more money out of you at the higher price point.

I agree with everything here 200%. I do not feel I have compromised safety <b>in any way</b> by saving money and going with the MA70 over a BV or Advocate. IF Britax released crash test data showing their SIP features offered optimal protection, then I might feel differently. But to my knowledge, they haven't. So to me, it seems like another way to make money off parents by marketing seats that way.

Another way I look at it - SKJP/Diono seats have almost no sides (except XTSL/RXT). They have also released videos and crash test data of their seats in side impacts. So if seats with almost nonexistent sides perform well and keep the child contained and safe in a side impact, how much safer can pillows and other stuff REALLY be?

I'm just too research and statistically oriented to buy into the whole extra SIP business without seeing figures and data.

Emi's Mommy

I must be doing something wrong or have a freak car or something, but I find the MR and my beloved CA far easier to install rfing centre. Even the TF installed nicer for me than my new MA.

The legroom sucks and DD won't last near as long rfing. But it was on sale and fits a very specific need. So I'm definitely not a britax snob ;)

I agree with everything here 200%. I do not feel I have compromised safety <b>in any way</b> by saving money and going with the MA70 over a BV or Advocate. IF Britax released crash test data showing their SIP features offered optimal protection, then I might feel differently. But to my knowledge, they haven't. So to me, it seems like another way to make money off parents by marketing seats that way.

Another way I look at it - SKJP/Diono seats have almost no sides (except XTSL/RXT). They have also released videos and crash test data of their seats in side impacts. So if seats with almost nonexistent sides perform well and keep the child contained and safe in a side impact, how much safer can pillows and other stuff REALLY be?

I'm just too research and statistically oriented to buy into the whole extra SIP business without seeing figures and data.

I feel so comforted just reading these responses. Thank you guys.

glockchick

I am by no means a Britax snob in the sense of thinking that they are far superior to other seats and telling people that (which, as a CPST, would be so wrong). Britax are not the only seats I have had or currently have. In my vehicle right this second, after finally achieving a successful three across, I don't even have a Britax in there right now! I have a TB, a RN RXT, and an Argos! The Cowmoo FR85 is back in its box, in the garage. If I thought it would have worked for a 3 across (I don't think it will, but I haven't tried it) I would have used it. In a spare bedroom I have a MR and a TFP. I have tried many different seats, but the fact that I love their ease of installation, that they work for all of the kids I have, and their cute, comfy covers is what keeps me loving them.

If you ever want to trade the cowmoo cover for canyon..... :whistle:

Just sayin! :ROTFLMAO:

Little Ps Mama

Stelvis said:
Where I think Britax distinguishes themselves is ease of install for the average person.

I got my first ever today (FR85) and so far my Nauti is infinitely easier to install. I'm still not happy with the install I got with the FR85 and I worked on that sucker forever! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

christineka

I got my first ever today (FR85) and so far my Nauti is infinitely easier to install. I'm still not happy with the install I got with the FR85 and I worked on that sucker forever! :(

The fr85 may not be as easy to install, but I love it so much better for the longevity of use and the comfort of the bigger child. It has much more leg support, it's wider, so more comfortable in the shoulders, and it doesn't promote head slump.

Little Ps Mama

The fr85 may not be as easy to install, but I love it so much better for the longevity of use and the comfort of the bigger child. It has much more leg support, it's wider, so more comfortable in the shoulders, and it doesn't promote head slump.

True, but if I can't get it in there right, the features that make it a more popular choice than the Nauti are no longer so appealing, kwim?

I'm going to keep working on it, as I wanted it for the longevitiy of use more than anything else and it does trump the Nauti in that respect. I had heard that it can be difficult to install so I was ready for a little fight, but, my Graco seats are so easy-peasy, I was surprised that such a "top of the line" seat would also be such a bear!

MommyShannon

Little Ps Mama said:

Yeah, it's the convertibles that are easy NOT the FR85 at first. I did my second yesterday and it was easier this time. Have you seen the videos on YouTube? I don't have the links right now, but they helped a lot.

Phineasmama

True, but if I can't get it in there right, the features that make it a more popular choice than the Nauti are no longer so appealing, kwim?

I'm going to keep working on it, as I wanted it for the longevitiy of use more than anything else and it does trump the Nauti in that respect. I had heard that it can be difficult to install so I was ready for a little fight, but, my Graco seats are so easy-peasy, I was surprised that such a "top of the line" seat would also be such a bear!

Did you try the long belt path?

christineka

I see you have a sienna as well and it's the same generation as mine. Where are you trying to install it? It's really easy to install on an outboard captain's chair.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
When I got my FR85, I wanted to throw them out the window. I was installing LBP and it was soooooo frustrating at first. But once I got it, I haven't had a problem since. And in my new car...with LATCH....it's LOVE. Pure undying love. Though I LOVE my SKJP XT and XTSL in there just as much. If not more. ;) LOL But, they won't last as long. At least not for Patrick. He had outgrown it in another car, but fits (with room to grow!) in the Traverse. So I'm a happy camper. :)

Little Ps Mama

christineka said:
I see you have a sienna as well and it's the same generation as mine. Where are you trying to install it? It's really easy to install on an outboard captain's chair.

Rear row center with LATCH

YinzerMama

I hate latch on the fr85. I can only get a good install in my Sienna with the long belt path. It was a pain in the ass the first time but it got easier pretty quickly and now it's not bad. I can do it in just a few minutes.

The SICT frontier is supposed to have latch connecters more like the other Britax seats, I think, but with this seat, eventually, most people are going to have to use the seat belt so why not learn it from the start? The funny thing is when I got the seats one of my girls was only 32 pounds, the other was about 38, I figured I would just use seat belts. But then I removed the seats and thought since I was kind of in a hurry I would do one with LATCH to put it back and I could not get it in. I spent more time TRYING, and failing, to get it in with LATCH, than I did getting in good with the LBP. So I just do seat belt now.

I was so intimidated by this seat before I installed it. I have never installed with a seat belt. I even called a friend of mine who is a paramedic and told her to set something up for me with their seat guy so he could install my seats. He said no, I want YOU to try it first and then I will check it, LOL. I was kind of embarassed at how easy it is once you actually try. I wonder if LATCH makes a lot of people think seat belt installs are more difficult than they really are?

Baylor

LBP took me about 30 mins the first time. However now it is just a few minutes and you just can not get a more solid install on that seat.

auto correct hates me

YinzerMama

LBP took me about 30 mins the first time. However now it is just a few minutes and you just can not get a more solid install on that seat.

I had to do two at once... I watched the video... watched it again... went and tried it... and couldn't understand why the man in the video wasn't cursing and punching the seats as he worked...

christineka

Rear row center with LATCH

I don't have room to use latch in my 3rd row. (a rfing radian barely fit next to the seatbelted fr85) If you don't mind using the seatbelt, I know it installs and it's not as difficult as installing a radian there. Twist the buckle stalk as much as you can, then install sbp. If it's still not tight enough, push the back of the vehicle seat back, tighten (but not too much), then push the back into place.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC