Britax Roundabout vs Marathon G4 for travel

Hazelandlucy

I am wanting to pick up a travel seat with the black friday deals for two trips in the next month.

Debating between the Roundabout and Marathon. It would be for my almost 3 yr old. She seems to have a lot of room in the G3 Advocate. How much shorter is the shell in the Roundabout? I don't know where her shoulders would be, I know the harness height is smaller.

Does the headrest make a difference in sleeping comfort? One of the trips is overseas so a lot of time in the plane at night.

Can you really notice a difference in weight and compactness between the two?

I don't mind selling the Roundabout in January so don't care if it's not the long lasting choice, I am just looking for an easy comfortable seat for right now.

HUGS pads don't make a difference rear facing, right?

And it still safe not to have real head wings like on the BLVD? My baby is going to be in a Coccoro so I am telling myself a deep shell lined with foam is just as good!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're the same shells. The Roundabout is two pounds lighter (17 pounds versus 19 pounds). The wings are fine for sleeping, and kids do great without as well. There are no side impact standards, so we have no idea if the wings do anything, since the shell is already pretty deep at that point as well. The Coccoro is perfectly safe.

The HUGS aren't required rear facing.

You could also pick up something like the Safety 1st Guide 65, unless you need or want the lockoffs for your overseas trip.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nope. My girls have always slept just fine in their seats, regardless of headrest or lack thereof.

Wendy

Hazelandlucy

They're the same shells. The Roundabout is two pounds lighter (17 pounds versus 19 pounds). The wings are fine for sleeping, and kids do great without as well. There are no side impact standards, so we have no idea if the wings do anything, since the shell is already pretty deep at that point as well. The Coccoro is perfectly safe.

The HUGS aren't required rear facing.

You could also pick up something like the Safety 1st Guide 65, unless you need or want the lockoffs for your overseas trip.

Wendy

Does the Guide last longer than a g4 britax and is it simple on a plane? Not too wide? Rear or forward face possible? Would you consider it more or less tricky to install with non locking seat belt than Coccoro? Does it need noodles or would 3 yr old be ok if it was upright? I am debating whether to just bring 2 britaxes or maybe a britax/guide 65 rather than risk coccoro not working. Have a hard time with it in my Odyssey. I think my baby would revolt if I put her in the Keyfit now. Car is 2007 vw passat wagon. Thanks!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does the Guide last longer than a g4 britax and is it simple on a plane? Not too wide? Rear or forward face possible? Would you consider it more or less tricky to install with non locking seat belt than Coccoro? Does it need noodles or would 3 yr old be ok if it was upright? I am debating whether to just bring 2 britaxes or maybe a britax/guide 65 rather than risk coccoro not working. Have a hard time with it in my Odyssey. I think my baby would revolt if I put her in the Keyfit now. Car is 2007 vw passat wagon. Thanks!

The Coccoro in that car is tough.

The Guide goes to 40"/40 pounds rear facing and has 17" top slots for forward. Unless you have a very short torsoed child, it lasts longer rear and forward facing than the Britax G4s. It's narrow and lightweight. There are two recline lines for rear facing, but your three year old couldn't go more upright than the upright one. You'd use a locking clip, rather than the lockoff, with a non locking belt. It's not tough, but it takes some practice, similar to the Coccoro.

Wendy

Hazelandlucy

I think I might just stick with seats with lock offs. I can pick up a Roundabout for $120, might do that, should be easy to resell around here after the two trips.

Is there any reason to get a g4.1 over a G4?

Which cover is softer, Silverlake or Onyx?

Thanks so much!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just wanted to chime in that I could not fit my roundabout RF on the plane. The first trip, we had it RF, but discovered it was at the middle recline (for FF only). I hadn't noticed because it was already totally crammed, with only about a cm of space between the seat and the seat in front of it. I was shocked to find out that it was too upright, since I had heard that others have RF'd them in the plane. On the way back, I made sure it was on the correct recline but couldn't even get it to fit on the seat that way, much less install it. We ended up FF-ing her for the ride back. The flight was delta one of the big planes with the center section -- I know all planes are different, so it might work on other planes.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC