Britax Pinnacle 90 and Britax Frontier 90

eddis

Is there a code for Albee Baby? When I click on the link above, I can see the $277 sale price, but then when I put it in my cart it's full price again.

ADS

eddis

Looks like Broadway (pink/black) and Cityscape (black/grey scrolled diamonds) are also $277 on [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Pinnacle-Booster-Seat-Broadway/dp/B00BEVF2L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368452755&sr=8-1&keywords=pinnacle+90"]Amazon[/ame] now. Drat, I really want Manhattan! :p

eddis

Ahhhh!! Thank you, Athena!! Just ordered the Manhattan and it's supposed to be here *tomorrow*!! Wacky! I just cancelled my Amazon order (twice) :rolleyes: and put in the code (BRITAXMAT) for the free kickmat to go with the seat, hopefully it all ships together! :dance:

KaliShanti

ahhh! I just might have to bit the bullet and get the 90 at diapers.com.

Anyway have the Cactus Flower pattern? Thoughts?

I knows it's overkill for my lightweight, smaller 3.5 year old, but I just LOVE out 85 SICT that her older brother has. Plus if it installs like a dream that'd be so great and it'd be the last seat she needs...

Athena

ahhh! I just might have to bit the bullet and get the 90 at diapers.com.

Anyway have the Cactus Flower pattern? Thoughts?

I knows it's overkill for my lightweight, smaller 3.5 year old, but I just LOVE out 85 SICT that her older brother has. Plus if it installs like a dream that'd be so great and it'd be the last seat she needs...

Check out this thread for more on cactus flower.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246917
She put some great photos!

eddis

I just....

Wow.

Our Pinnacle 90 arrived today. It took longer to take it out of the box and walk it 30 feet to the car, than it did to install it (including tether)! Longer than it took to take the RXT out of the car. In fact, DH pulled up in his car just as I set the Pinnacle in the car. In the time it took for him to park, get out of the car, grab his computer bag, and walk to my side, I had it installed! Unbelievable. Rock-solid install in our 2006 Prius, passenger side outboard.

This opens up so many possibilities! If I'm out with two grownups (or two grownups and one child, or more than one child who's outgrown harnesses - though the P90 goes up so high it's practically a non-issue), I can give them rides. I can stop and vacuum out my car at the gas station without having to allocate 30 minutes or more to reinstall the car seat. Maybe we won't need a bigger car after all!

(Also, I'm kind of amazed at the economics of car seats and shipping. Yesterday at 10:30 am I ordered the Pinnacle from Diapers.com. Prior to that I had just canceled my Amazon order (for almost $60 more) which had delivery promised for six days from now. Today around 1:30 pm it was already at my door - *free* overnight delivery in 27 hours, with a free kick mat to boot!! And Diapers.com is owned by Amazon, even. I guess that's market segmentation for you! :D)

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, it's too dark outside right now. But basically I'm super-happy right now, even before DS has had a chance to sit in it! We have the Manhattan and the material is slick, kind of like the RXT's red nylon-ish fabric. I wasn't sure I'd like the black & white check, but it's actually quite subtle, reads more grey with a slight sheen. The wipe-clean type of surface has worked well for us (even if my favorite is the cowmoo plush ;)). A++!!!

Last edited:

ali9771

EmilyAnn86 - I received mine today - I paid $258 and change from diapers.com and free shipping, had it in two days - with free return policy, it was worth the try.

To answer your question - YES YES YES, it does work with a rigid and high belt stalk like in your picture.

I have a Frontier 85 and could not use it because the stalk fell in the wrong place for the short belt path and my seatbelt (for whatever reason) was not long enough for the long belt path. I ended up putting it in my mom's car for her to use and continued using my TrueFit because it had the seatbelt clamp that made install easier and tighter.

I opened the box, removed the plastic, gave the instructions a quick once over, took it out to the vehicle (racing against the incoming florida rainstorm). Installed in in less than a minute. I spent more time messing with the recline - which does recline enough to call "recline" (some reclines aren't even worth mentioning). I had to recline my seat, engage the recline feature, then push my seat up until it was tight. I could not recline with seat in upright position.

The beltpath is high enough that my buckle JUST hit the edge of the seat "curve"/edge. Any lower and I might have had issues. But the beltpath goes OVER the armrests. And the clicktight install locked it in tight as a rock.

Adjusting the height is a breeze....even installed, I have no issues.

I do agree with another poster - the wings feel a little loose and flimsy.

Armrests and cupholders are nice, but not sure how practical, jury is out (I hate crevices that collect sticky stuff and dirt".

Cover bottom is nicely secured, better than the elastics that always got pulled loose.

HEAVY sucker...wouldn't want to be taking it in and out all the time, BUT with the easy install, negates the weight. And knowing how safe it is, again, negates the weight issue.

Fabric - I realize that light color fabric shows dirt easily, BUT, in florida sun, black fabrics really do get warm on skin exposed in tank tops and shorts. I wish there was more breathable or light colored fabrics. Probably my only real complaint (considered getting girl print for a boy just for this reason, but he is old enough to protest).

Recline feature - as mentioned, pretty nice.

Strap adjuster - like many have mentioned, pretty deep inside - great for safety, but hard on the fingers. I think what makes it hard is that the "flap" covering the hole is sewn TIGHT on three sides, making it hard to reach under it. But I can live with it.

Strap covers - I got the Manhattan fabric. Thus the material is like a quilted material - strap covers are bulky and the velcro creates sharp edges that looks like they may be more irritating than helpful. I tossed the fronteir's, I may toss these too. Straps are meaty and easily pulled out of the way for easy entry.

The buckle - jury is out - I realize they are trying to keep it flipped forward, but it's pretty bulky - a kid would have to be able to sit up and "over it". Jury is out til we actually try it out.

all in all, seems like a great seat...can't wait to take a long trip and see how comfortable he is in it. also see how it fares with the temps here in florida.

And can't beat the price, think I paid less than I did for the frontier!

StillThankful

I just....

Wow.

Our Pinnacle 90 arrived today. It took longer to take it out of the box and walk it 30 feet to the car, than it did to install it (including tether)! Longer than it took to take the RXT out of the car. In fact, DH pulled up in his car just as I set the Pinnacle in the car. In the time it took for him to park, get out of the car, grab his computer bag, and walk to my side, I had it installed! Unbelievable. Rock-solid install in our 2006 Prius, passenger side outboard.

This opens up so many possibilities! If I'm out with two grownups (or two grownups and one child, or more than one child who's outgrown harnesses - though the P90 goes up so high it's practically a non-issue), I can give them rides. I can stop and vacuum out my car at the gas station without having to allocate 30 minutes or more to reinstall the car seat. Maybe we won't need a bigger car after all!

(Also, I'm kind of amazed at the economics of car seats and shipping. Yesterday at 10:30 am I ordered the Pinnacle from Diapers.com. Prior to that I had just canceled my Amazon order (for almost $60 more) which had delivery promised for six days from now. Today around 1:30 pm it was already at my door - *free* overnight delivery in 27 hours, with a free kick mat to boot!! And Diapers.com is owned by Amazon, even. I guess that's market segmentation for you! :D)

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, it's too dark outside right now. But basically I'm super-happy right now, even before DS has had a chance to sit in it! We have the Manhattan and the material is slick, kind of like the RXT's red nylon-ish fabric. I wasn't sure I'd like the black & white check, but it's actually quite subtle, reads more grey with a slight sheen. The wipe-clean type of surface has worked well for us (even if my favorite is the cowmoo plush ;)). A++!!!

EmilyAnn86 - I received mine today - I paid $258 and change from diapers.com and free shipping, had it in two days - with free return policy, it was worth the try.

To answer your question - YES YES YES, it does work with a rigid and high belt stalk like in your picture.

I have a Frontier 85 and could not use it because the stalk fell in the wrong place for the short belt path and my seatbelt (for whatever reason) was not long enough for the long belt path. I ended up putting it in my mom's car for her to use and continued using my TrueFit because it had the seatbelt clamp that made install easier and tighter.

I opened the box, removed the plastic, gave the instructions a quick once over, took it out to the vehicle (racing against the incoming florida rainstorm). Installed in in less than a minute. I spent more time messing with the recline - which does recline enough to call "recline" (some reclines aren't even worth mentioning). I had to recline my seat, engage the recline feature, then push my seat up until it was tight. I could not recline with seat in upright position.

The beltpath is high enough that my buckle JUST hit the edge of the seat "curve"/edge. Any lower and I might have had issues. But the beltpath goes OVER the armrests. And the clicktight install locked it in tight as a rock.

Armrests and cupholders are nice, but not sure how practical, jury is out (I hate crevices that collect sticky stuff and dirt".

Cover bottom is nicely secured, better than the elastics that always got pulled loose.

HEAVY sucker...wouldn't want to be taking it in and out all the time, BUT with the easy install, negates the weight. And knowing how safe it is, again, negates the weight issue.

Fabric - I realize that light color fabric shows dirt easily, BUT, in florida sun, black fabrics really do get warm on skin exposed in tank tops and shorts. I wish there was more breathable or light colored fabrics. Probably my only real complaint (considered getting girl print for a boy just for this reason, but he is old enough to protest).

Strap adjuster - like many have mentioned, pretty deep inside - great for safety, but hard on the fingers. I think what makes it hard is that the "flap" covering the hole is sewn TIGHT on three sides, making it hard to reach under it. But I can live with it.

Strap covers - I got the Manhattan fabric. Thus the material is like a quilted material - strap covers are bulky and the velcro creates sharp edges that looks like they may be more irritating than helpful. I tossed the fronteir's, I may toss these too. Straps are meaty and easily pulled out of the way for easy entry.

The buckle - jury is out - I realize they are trying to keep it flipped forward, but it's pretty bulky - a kid would have to be able to sit up and "over it". Jury is out til we actually try it out.

all in all, seems like a great seat...can't wait to take a long trip and see how comfortable he is in it. also see how it fares with the temps here in florida.

Thanks for posting such detailed reviews about installation and the seat features! I'm sure this will help those debating on whether to get it. Thanks again:)

tiggercat

What do you mean when you say the belt path goes over the armrests? The belt is supposed to go through the green guides that are behind the armrests, not in front of them. That may be what you mean, but I wanted to clarify because that is a potential source of error for this seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

ali9771

What do you mean when you say the belt path goes over the armrests? The belt is supposed to go through the green guides that are behind the armrests, not in front of them. That may be what you mean, but I wanted to clarify because that is a potential source of error for this seat.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

I followed the beltpath, which is sort of "above and behind" the armrests, not really over them directly or in front of them. In other words, the beltpath sits higher on the seat, at armrest level (but yes, behind), vs close to the base of the seat, which presents a problem for tall, rigid belt stalks. I don't know how to post a picture or I would.

EmilyAnn has a setup like mine, with rigid, tall beltstalks and with my Frontier 85, the beltpath was set "low" nearer to the base of the seat, which made it impossible to get a good install with the short beltpath because the bite (I think they call it) would have to bend around the seat base and couldn't. The long beltpath of the frontier 85 was up higher on the seat (higher than the armrests), so it was ideal, but my seat belts were too short.

The pinnacle beltpath sits higher, about the height of the armrests, so I did not have a problem with the bite hitting so low it couldn't bend over the edges of the seat and beltpath.

I don't know if this makes any sense...but if you look at a sideview of the seat install, it should.

ali9771

So we have used the seat for a week now -

updates -

The buckle - in the first position, it is too close to my sons crotch, in the second WAY too far and allows for too much slouching. Opting for the first position and because it is summer, he has only shorts and underpants, so he isn't too tight, but could become a problem if he grows a little. Have to say the adjustment from one notch to the other was a BREEZE...I was totally impressed. It does NOT stay out of the way when he enters, as he has to climb up and in and has yet to learn to climb "around it". However, it is not hard to dig out from under him.

The headrest - still not impressed, feels flimsy. On first install, I had my seat tight up to the car seat as it would go. However, my headrest pushed the car seat headrest forward making my son uncomfortable. My headrest does not remove (I tried everything), so I ended up reclining my seat just a touch, so that it took the pressure off it. Seat is still rock solid install and there is still a tiny bit of pressure, but not so much that my son is uncomfortable with his head forward. Note, I have the car seat in recline mode. Also do not like that the wings are higher above the shoulder slot, so it isn't close to his shoulders like his frontier was. I think it won't be a problem when he falls asleep (has yet to happen), as his forehead will still have somewhere to rest, but isn't as low as I would like it to be. I would prefer it if the headrest/wings "hugged" his head and shoulders more like other boosters do.

Fabric/plastic - like I thought, black is horrid in florida heat/sun. But his complaint is NOT the fabric, but the plastic on the edges - armrest and cupholders - that bump into his bare legs on entry and during the trip when he moves his legs around. I have a towel in car and he lifts his legs and I put it under the edge to keep him cooler.

Cupholders - hate all the debris that gets caught in them.

Strap covers - they are history - quilted, thick and velcro all aggravated him - plus, I feel safer with straps snug to his shoulders.

His reviews - he loves his "big boy" seat. Loves that he can sit "criss cross applesauce" again. He used to be able to with his truefit, but finally hit a stage where he was as wide as the seat and couldn't fit his knees edge to edge. Haven't taken a long trip but I think he would be comfortable. I have it in recline mode, so I don't think head flop will be an issue.

Still loving the install and overall feels like a very safe seat. And love the price I paid and have noticed from day to day, Diapers.com has had the same pricing...just keep looking.

Athena

I totally agree about the all the black! That's a big reason why I haven't been able to bring myself to own one .. and we don't even live in Florida! But when we get into our car, even our 85s with cowmoo covers (not nearly as much black) have my girls cringing and complaining that, "They're hot!"

When I tried one, I felt like I couldn't get them snug enough with those thick strap covers on, so I know what you mean. Plus, the fabric on them is kinda rough (at least for some of them), not like our cowmoo velvet covers. I guess we've just been spoiled.

Glad to hear it's mostly working out well for you though.

bnsnyde

My 5 and 6-year-olds (almost 7) know how to tighten and loosen their own Prosports and do a perfect job. They are very self-sufficient and those are EASY to use seats.

So I was disappointed when my oldest complained "How do you loosen this thing? on the new Frontier 90.
I feel like now I have another THING TO DO, and I can barely reach it.
With the 5 of them I was trying to make life easier, not harder. But we needed the harness height. We might not need to loosen all the time, but certainly with multiple kids using the same seat, it'll come up.

My only other complaint is I PULL really hard to tighten it (miss how in the Prosport the kid could do that) and still it's like it does not go as tight as I want it.

Athena

How do kids tighten their own harnesses while in the seat? To be forward enough to be able to pull it out forward, wouldn't that cause them to lean forward while tightening? Personally, I want to check their seats before I drive off, so it's not something mine need to know, just more of a curiosity.

thepote

Mine would grab the tail on the Nautilus and lean back while pulling straight up. Not sure if the FR is configured the same to allow that.

Athena

Mine would grab the tail on the Nautilus and lean back while pulling straight up. Not sure if the FR is configured the same to allow that.

Interesting. I remember that you're supposed to pull forward with the britax seats, but I don't know if it also works pulling up. I would think it may depend on the seat.

MommyShannon

Dd used to tighten and loosen her nautilus. I'd check and it really was tight enough though it seemed odd. I never showed them how to loosen the FR85. It's a bit further back and you press down instead of up so they never did it. I just don't change their harness unless needed.

Cryssy Jane

Just emailed Sarah. My frontier 90s are no longer tightening harness wise and nothing is in the way or getting stuck. Also the click tight mechanism keeps getting stuck in an open position instead of a locked position. Mine are both doms 04/13 if it makes a difference. Still haven't had the bar issue though.

Eta I too would much prefer the harness covers on the fr85 particularly the rounded red rock ones rather than the square cardinal ones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC