Britax Marathon Question

karina250

I bought one on impulse this evening. I went into Target to get another MyRide but came out with a Marathon Classic. Now I'm not sure if I made a good choice or not. At what age to kids typically outgrow this seat rear facing? I just really liked all the features this seat has. Like the nice latch connectors and the velcro things that hold the straps to the side. Plus I got it on sale. I'm wondering if it was a wrong choice because I'm thinking DD would have way more growing room in a MyRide. My goal is to keep her RF until 3 which I am sure I can do in a MyRide. I think I remember hearing this seat has a much shorter shell so I'm not sure if that's possible in this seat.

I hate that it takes me so long to make a decision about which seat to get. Im always afraid that Ill make the wrong choice. So now I need to decide if I should keep the Marathon or return it and get the MyRide.

The stats in my siggie are current.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She's a year old and tiny? Likely it would get her to over four, if she's like my older daughter (16 pounds 3 oz at a year, rear faced in her old Britax Wizard until 4y8m and 31.5 pounds naked).

Wendy

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
wendytthomas said:
She's a year old and tiny? Likely it would get her to over four, if she's like my older daughter (16 pounds 3 oz at a year, rear faced in her old Britax Wizard until 4y8m and 31.5 pounds naked).

Wendy

What Wendy Said (you think I would tired sayig that ;) ). DD was a tiny 1 year old, I want to say 18lbs at 1? She outgrew the MA at 3.5- ish by weight (it was a 33lb RF old MA and she was floating around 31lbs). DS is small but bigger than DD at 1, he was around 23lbs. When the same MA expired, HE was 3 and 30lbs, 36", and still fit RF with room to spare. I don't think it's a bad choice at all.

Also, the day my MA expired I posted an homage in Carseat Chat (I'm on mobile or I would just link it) and DD at 6.5 still fit in the harness FFing (she never rode in it FF, actually nobody did).

henrietta

My oldest was tiny, too. He could rearface in our Decathlon and Fisher Price Safe Voyage Deluxe until he was 3.5 years old! Those are the same exact size as the Classic Marathon. I think you'll be fine, plus I think it's nicer forward facing later. It doesn't lay back like the My Ride.

VoodooChile

Mine outgrew ours rf at 31 and 32 months, respectively, by weight, BUT ours was a 33 lb model. The newer ones at Target are 35 lbs, correct? That would have taken both of my kids past age 3.

karina250

Is there a way to remove the manual from the seat without cutting it off? It would be nice to be able to read the manual without having to sit on the floor next to the seat. I wasnt for sure how it was attached to the seat but I didnt want to mess with it to much and break the foam on the seat.

tjham

I LOVED my Marathons (and its clone, the FPSVD). The only thing I didn't like was how high up they sat but that is true of many seats.

I removed the manual by pulling the black elastic loop as far out as possible and pushing the manual through it. But I didn't try putting it back and that might be hard. I was afraid of it getting wet if there was a pee pee accident in the seat! :eek:

karina250

Thanks for all your help. Ive deided to keep the MA. I really like all the features it has over the MR. I am feeling confident now that my DD can last RF in this seat. I tried my 4 year old DS in it and he still fits FF. Aside from his weight - height wise he almost fits RF. He is just an inch too tall. I appriciate you all taking the time to give me your opinions.

One last question. When do you stop using the body support pillow? I cant find it in the manual.

jkrkmama

Love love love my Marathon. I ended up selling a seat I bought to replace the expiring MA so I could get another one. I am confident we will get to three if not longer RF.

Phineasmama

Thanks for all your help. Ive deided to keep the MA. I really like all the features it has over the MR. I am feeling confident now that my DD can last RF in this seat. I tried my 4 year old DS in it and he still fits FF. Aside from his weight - height wise he almost fits RF. He is just an inch too tall. I appriciate you all taking the time to give me your opinions.

One last question. When do you stop using the body support pillow? I cant find it in the manual.

I never used the body support pillow :p I generally have no patience for those things. I stopped using our RXT body pillows when DD was only like 6 months old, and they are way nicer.

mum2two

You really can't go wrong..my DC's were tall to average and they both lasted in the old 33lb seats till age 3.5 and like others, I loved our Marathon's.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC