Britax Gen 3 w/Gen 2 shell??

J'sMamaCC

So I don't know if it matters, I just noticed when I had the padding & seat cover up to install in the car that my new pavillion gen 3 has a gen 2 shell. I don't know if that's normal? Are they all like that? Sheesh... should have just got a gen 2 seat for less if that's the case :rolleyes:

Here's the seat in my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I tried latch install, as the latch points are 19" apart, manual says they can be up to 20" apart & still used.... IDK, I think I got a tighter install with the seat belt. Does that make sense?
IMAG30731.jpg

I don't love it like I thought I would :( DS seems to sit very straight up & high up. I loved his Chaperone. I haven't transported him anywhere in the pavillion yet. I ended up taking it out of my car after this pic & I tried him in it, because he seemed so vertical?? :confused: (I put his Chaperone back, he's still fitting at nearly 29.5" but have to make a change soon!)
Please help! :confused:

ADS

J'sMamaCC

Also noticed the base slips on the leather seat :( What can I do to remedy that?! I obviously did something wrong & wasnt' comfortable with the install, that's why the chaperone went back in for the time being until I get it figured out :confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There were no shell changes between the G2 and G3, so no surprise that it's the same shell. The only differences were in the HUGS and crotch strap. Not structural.

Is the seat reclined in position three?

If you have less than 1" of movement at the belt path then you're ok. It sounds like you're maybe not adding enough weight to the seat? The rubber on the underside of the Britaxes is usually enough to grip, and I've never had them slip when properly installed.

If you don't like it, there are certainly non cow seats available that have more leg room, don't sit up so high, last longer rear and forward facing, and cost less. We can help you if you'd like.

But my guess is that a bit of elbow grease and this seat would go in just perfectly. You can always use a pool noodle to help with the recline if you'd like.

Wendy

As Wendy mentioned, it looks like a noodle may really help this issue. I have the same seat, and mine is installed RF with a noodle in both my '09 Accord and '07 Ridgeline. (I also have a 3 year old currently in it RF, and have had a 5.5 year old in it RF. All depends on the child.)

J'sMamaCC

Wendy- yes, the seat is in recline #3. I suppose I can try the pool noodle & see. I just feel so on the fence about the seat (where I thought I would love it) so I guess it's just "so-so" for me....
I guess that I can always get another seat down the road.... seems like many of the folks here have several seats....
Sigh. I just don't know :confused:

thtr4me

I got this seat a few months back, and had to install with a noodle in my VW Passat. I also tightened the tether down a little harder than I should just to check clearance with the driver's seat, and once I released the top tether, the seat stayed more reclined than when I installed it originally. But pool noodle was essential to getting the seat reclined to where the baby likes it.

tiggercat

I am not sure if you even need a noodle, just shove the base closer to the seat bight. That will recline it a bit more. Do you know how to use your belly/hips to push the seat towards the rear of the vehicle while you pull the latch straps? That gets Britaxes nice and snug and lets you adjust the recline.
Note that when the blue line is level, the seat is reclined to about 37.5 degrees, you can recline it up to 45 degrees so that the line is slanted forward (or more upright to 30 degrees for older kids). You can use a folded paper to approximate 45 degrees.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

dneul said:
Could you tether it to help the recline?

I'm fairly positive Britax doesn't allow the RF tether to be used to adjust the angle of the install anymore. It's not an installation point, so it doesn't need to be taught, just have the slack removed.

J'sMamaCC

Speaking of the tether, can anyone tell me if it's OK to use from that middle position off to one side or the other to anchor? The rebound would be kinda crazy without it :( I can't seem to find in the manual if that's OK or not- just to use the tether for best performance of the seat. I am thinking it might be OK since it's not doing much but stabiling the seat... found a decent video on using it:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfFGtUAtRg&feature=related"]BRITAX Convertible Car Seats: Installation Using Versa-Tether - YouTube[/ame]
Should I call & ask Britax customer service?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The inner leg of a front seat is fine. Rebound is also fine. The backseat is padded specifically for people to rebound into, and it would be the shell of the seat -- not your baby's head -- that hit the backseat anyway. At least assuming they're buckled in nice and snug.

But yes, the inner leg of the front seat is perfect. Just remove the slack from the tether, don't over tighten it.

Wendy

J'sMamaCC

Thanks Wendy. But the top of the carseat sits WAY up over the back of middle seat :confused:
Or at least it seems that way to me.... :confused:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
In which case it would hit nothing I guess.

I'm not saying don't tether it. You can and Britax encourages it. It's part of what you bought when you bought that specific seat. I'm just saying rebounding is not dangerous for a child in a carseat. It's what happens for the majority of kids out on the roads who don't have one of the relatively few seats with rebound control. And post-crash stats show that they generally do just fine.

Wendy

lovemybabies924

My g3 has a g2 shell as we'll, and my fr85 sict says "frontier xt/85/85 sict so since its the same shell I'm trying to figure out why different TT rules but keep forgetting to call

Jessica61624

lovemybabies924 said:
My g3 has a g2 shell as we'll, and my fr85 sict says "frontier xt/85/85 sict so since its the same shell I'm trying to figure out why different TT rules but keep forgetting to call

My guess would be the aide impact protection provided by the sict pads.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC