Britax g3 or g4? What would you do?

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I think it may be wrong in the blog, but I've asked Heather for clarification.

I have a G4 sitting here. The line is even with the top harness height.

39F9CF6E-5B74-469E-8F85-18AFB647A0AE.jpg

D3AEF726-43D1-4010-BDA2-0D913C5D2A4D.jpg

Here's the bit from the manual, under the FF section. I don't know why Photobucket made it upside-down, and I don't have time to fix it now. Sorry!

C7957164-C448-4179-9464-0B2A76B91A1D.jpg

MommyShannon

It's calling it a "guide" so yes you will need to make sure everything is lined up still. I think it's a great idea since so many people go buy Britax since "it's the best" and think it can be used until 65/70lbs. Soooo often people overlook the seated height which will be what really matters. Hopefully this will be a great visual reminder to those users. For anyone who is already well aware that a seat is outgrown when shoulders go above the slot, it doesn't really do anything.

For rf, I just lower the headrest until it's even with the shell. I have a marathon though so it's still easy for dd2 to sit in it for me to measure since there aren't foam headwings in the way.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thank you everyone. I am so glad I asked about this. I would have been so sad to buy a g4 and then find out that the little line is just for forward-facing. The whole reason I was excited about this was that little line. Now I definitely know that a g3 is just as good.

YinzerMama

It's calling it a "guide" so yes you will need to make sure everything is lined up still. I think it's a great idea since so many people go buy Britax since "it's the best" and think it can be used until 65/70lbs. Soooo often people overlook the seated height which will be what really matters. Hopefully this will be a great visual reminder to those users. For anyone who is already well aware that a seat is outgrown when shoulders go above the slot, it doesn't really do anything.

For rf, I just lower the headrest until it's even with the shell. I have a marathon though so it's still easy for dd2 to sit in it for me to measure since there aren't foam headwings in the way.

you're right - and I was one of those people with ds1. Stuffed him in his marathon longer than I should have because he wasn't 65 pounds yet. :rolleyes:

I think this is a problem partly of the car seat maker's fault, though, since so many promote the weights of their seats. I am glad Britax is taking the weights out of the names. (although I think they may have been forced to do so?)

It wouldn't be a bad idea for all seats to have some sort of little reminder on the cover like this - it's just in and of itself it's not a feature to pay more for and hold out for (since if you're considering paying more or holding out, you obviously care about proper use, and can work around the label not being there)

Last edited:

nannykates

you're right - and I was one of those people with ds1. Stuffed him in his marathon longer than I should have because he wasn't 65 pounds yet. :rolleyes:

I think this is a problem partly of the car seat maker's fault, though, since so many promote the weights of their seats. I am glad Britax is taking the weights out of the names.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for all seats to have some sort of little reminder on the cover like this - it's just in and of itself it's not a feature to pay more for and hold out for.

I always have to tell parents at events that most kids outgrown most seats by height. Especially on seats with inflated limits (keyfit 30, anything by britax, maestro in booster mode, radian are the worst offenders I see).

YinzerMama

The radians are horrible, in how they mislead. We have an rxt and my 46 pound daughter has only a tiny bit of room left until she hits the wings. I can't imagine anyone getting much use out of it in booster mode.

As an aside - do car seat companies actively seek out children who are very small for their age, to give the appearance that the seat will last you longer than you think it will?? Because they show a girl who looks to be 7 or 8 on the RXT box... and my kid is only 5 1/2. She's not super big for her age, either. She's at the taller end of average, but I've never had someone say "Are you SURE she's 5?" or something like that. My other daughter is small for her age but I don't think she has ever sat in that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC