Britax Frontier outgrown harness?

erin327

My DD8 is 52-53" tall and weighs 74 pounds. She is certainly more trunk than legs, but I don't have a seated trunk measurement on her. She rides harnessed in a Britax Frontier 90. It has the click tight install. I noticed tonight that her shoulders are even with the harness again and went to move the headrest, and therefore the harness, up again. There are no more settings! She has the headrest and harness at the highest height and her shoulders are just even with the harness. I know on some other seats, there is a caveat to the "at or above shoulders" rule for harnesses once you reach the top position, but I don't see anything like that in our Frontier instruction manual. Does this sound right? Has she outgrown the harness by height?

ADS

Dillipop

Sounds like she has outgrown it in harness mode. You can take out the harness and use it as a booster or switch her to a dedicated booster. At 8, she should be quite safe in a booster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erin327

So if she has outgrown the Frontier harnessed by height, what are my options? I do have younger kids and I could benefit from passing that seat to the next child (5.5 yo, 45", and 39.8lb tonight without shoes). Are there high back boosters that will fit DD8 who has outgrown the Frontier by height? She still sleeps in the car 2 nights per week for an hour or so drive, so I am thinking high back is best?

We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey and she is on the driver's side in the center row.

I do have a three across situation in that row also which might make it tricky for her to buckle a booster there?

Dillipop

So if she has outgrown the Frontier harnessed by height, what are my options? I do have younger kids and I could benefit from passing that seat to the next child (5.5 yo, 45", and 39.8lb tonight without shoes). Are there high back boosters that will fit DD8 who has outgrown the Frontier by height? She still sleeps in the car 2 nights per week for an hour or so drive, so I am thinking high back is best?

We have a 2007 Honda Odyssey and she is on the driver's side in the center row.

I do have a three across situation in that row also which might make it tricky for her to buckle a booster there?

From the quick search I just did, most dedicated boosters top out at around 21 inches for the belt guide. The frontier as a booster goes up to about 23 inches and your top harness height is about 20.5 inches. The frontier is likely to give you the most growing room as a high back booster.

Another option would be to switch her to a backless booster and look into the cardiff headrest for long trips where she may fall asleep. Or work on teaching her to look up at the ceiling when she falls asleep, which will help keep her in position.

Athena

While I agree the frontier will give you more growing room, if you have a younger child who can use it and want a dedicated HBB, I'd look at the Britax Parkway or the Safety 1st air boost. The Parkway is great for sleeping, you already like Britax seats (I assume) and it converts to backless, but you'd only have another inch in highback mode, so you'd have to decide if you'd get enough use out of it based on handing down potential and current sales. My DD is a few inches taller with a longish torso and she has some growing room in HBB mode, but she's on the top click. She loves her seat, so I hope we can stretch that out for a while. The Boost Air would give you a couple inches, but you should note it requires vehicle head rest support. HTH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC