Question Britax Frayed Strap Issues, Again. PLEASE HELP.

sweetpea3829

I've always loosened the harness and retightened it each time my children use the seat. And I loosen it quite a bit. Thought you were supposed to.

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I don't loosen the straps for DS to get in and out of his Radian. I don't loosen the straps on the Como and I didn't on the CCO but I usually did on his SR22. I really didn't have to on the TF because it has a continuous harness. I would probably have to if DS fought me when getting in his seat but he doesn't for now at least.

monstah

I loosen our straps waaay out too. Every time. But, I do have a tendency to switch seats between kids and our cars often (so RF to FF, etc.)

My guess? The harness adjuster is pulling to the sides when you loosen, not tighten. But that doesn't explain the FR because it would be hanging straight down.

Weird.

Sent from my Nexus One using Car-Seat.Org

cpsaddict

I loosen it all the way each time. There is no way on earth I can squish DD in without loosening it. It may work for others to not loosen, but there is nothing wrong with loosening each time. There is no right or wrong way to get the kid in the seat! However, I just checked my MA70 and there is no fraying whatsoever. I know exactly why my older MA did, though. It's beause of how I tightened it when it was in the center. I pulled to the side and got fraying.

msuarez919

How tight are you getting them? Could you be over-tightening perhaps?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=465536

After looking at the pics you provided (thanks!) I'm pretty sure I am. I was taught that you shouldn't be able to get a finger under the harness strap. I'm not going to tighten as much AND not pull the harness out all the way when I get my kids out. And while not tightening my kids in so much is valid, it's pretty irritating that I have to remember to not pull the harness out so much (it's just habit by now). Pulling a harness out a lot should not compromise the safety of a seat in my opinion.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
After looking at the pics you provided (thanks!) I'm pretty sure I am. I was taught that you shouldn't be able to get a finger under the harness strap.

Oh wow, you must have some strong muscles by now! I hope this fixes the fraying issue for you, though. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC