Britax Click Tight Seat belt Stuck

kmcc

We have a Britax Click Tight system that will not unhinge so that we can take the seatbelt out. We have unlatched the seat belt, but the top compartment will not pop open. We have pretty much destroyed the seat trying to remove it, but before we end up cutting the seat belt, I was hoping somebody might have some suggestions of how to get it out!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Some other people have mentioned this problem. I believe there are some tabs or screws or something that can be pushed in to help release it, but I don't know (or can't remember) where or how. I would suggest waiting until morning, if you can, and then calling Britax.

Or hopefully someone else will know and can give you the info.

tmahanes

When mine won't open I put pressure on the flap and then squeeze the release while still putting pressure on the flap and that usually opens it right up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
When mine won't open I put pressure on the flap and then squeeze the release while still putting pressure on the flap and that usually opens it right up.

Hoping this works. I find in tons of seats, different ones, that putting force in the opposite direction of what you are trying to do, gets things to work right. Pushing DOWN on the click tight plate before/while trying to press the tabs might be just the trick.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Actually, it might be important to know if this is a ClickTight convertible or a Frontier/Pinnacle, because the panel opens in different ways.

henrietta

I'm looking at ordering the Clicktight (Boulevard or Advocate)...is this a really common problem? Should I avoid these seats for now?

I'd prefer to install with LATCH anyways, just b/c of the seating location for now, but I've read that could be problematic too! LOL

Sheesh...:eek:

OP, I really hope you've got it out. Please call BRITAX and complain. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't say it's common, just that I've heard it happening a few times. I've installed and uninstalled my BLVD CT a hundred times without issue.

If you plan on using LATCH, though, I absolutely would not get a CT convertible. Huge PITA.

Carolinadaisy

I'm looking at ordering the Clicktight (Boulevard or Advocate)...is this a really common problem? Should I avoid these seats for now? I'd prefer to install with LATCH anyways, just b/c of the seating location for now, but I've read that could be problematic too! LOL Sheesh...:eek: OP, I really hope you've got it out. Please call BRITAX and complain. Please let us know how it works out. Thanks!

The Clicktight convertible seats don't have the push button latch connectors like the previous generations of Britax convertibles because they are trying to encourage the use of seatbelt with the Clicktight technology to ensure proper tightness of installation. They have the hook style connectors which I personally detest as I always have a hard time unhooking them.

If you're looking for a good erf convertible with an easy latch installation, then I would recommend looking at a Chicco Nextfit. It has a super easy latch installation and should get any child to 40 lbs rearfacing.

henrietta

The Clicktight convertible seats don't have the push button latch connectors like the previous generations of Britax convertibles because they are trying to encourage the use of seatbelt with the Clicktight technology to ensure proper tightness of installation. They have the hook style connectors which I personally detest as I always have a hard time unhooking them.

If you're looking for a good erf convertible with an easy latch installation, then I would recommend looking at a Chicco Nextfit. It has a super easy latch installation and should get any child to 40 lbs rearfacing.

Yeah...I really like the Nextfit, but I want some kind of anti rebound control AND I can't deal with sides that are so deep, b/c of my own limitations. :)

I am concerned about the latch though..I'll survive the hooks themselves, but if I can't get the seat out of my van to move it, I will be mad! :mad:

Carolinadaisy

Yeah...I really like the Nextfit, but I want some kind of anti rebound control AND I can't deal with sides that are so deep, b/c of my own limitations. :) I am concerned about the latch though..I'll survive the hooks themselves, but if I can't get the seat out of my van to move it, I will be mad! :mad:

If you will be moving a Clicktight seat often, you really would benefit from using seatbelt for your installation. It will save you the headache of the hook latch clips.

I have a Nextfit that I got for ds2 in his second birthday and he climbed into it himself with just minor assistance. But the sides are deep! He's super tall and made it rf until close to 3.5 when he was regularly weighing right at 40 lbs. I will admit to not loving the seat ff as much and we will moving him into a Frontier 85 by his 4th birthday for the deeper seat pan which will allow him to crisscross his long legs much easier. He's not a fan of dangling legs ff at all and still occasionally asks to ride rf, but he is too heavy.

henrietta

If you will be moving a Clicktight seat often, you really would benefit from using seatbelt for your installation. It will save you the headache of the hook latch clips.

I have a Nextfit that I got for ds2 in his second birthday and he climbed into it himself with just minor assistance. But the sides are deep! He's super tall and made it rf until close to 3.5 when he was regularly weighing right at 40 lbs. I will admit to not loving the seat ff as much and we will moving him into a Frontier 85 by his 4th birthday for the deeper seat pan which will allow him to crisscross his long legs much easier. He's not a fan of dangling legs ff at all and still occasionally asks to ride rf, but he is too heavy.

Luckily, I won't need to move it often. Since we added the third child, my parents and I usually take my van when we go somewhere together. :)

I have 3 kiddos and an '09 Honda Odyssey van...three in a row is dumb in this model van and doesn't work that well for us no matter what seats or how, so one kiddo (or sometimes two) go in the third row. But my preference is to remove the center second row jump seat and slide the outboard seat to the center, cause it makes an aisle there for the kids to get to the third row and I don't have to move any seats for them to get back there. The seatbelt going across becomes a problem--either it will be in there way if the Clicktight is installed in moved-over seat....or it will be tough for my middle son to buckle into his booster in the moved-over seat. Hence, I'd prefer to latch baby's seat in....

I really can't handle the deep sides of the Chicco. I'm already having trouble w/our Cocorro. Moving the car seat to a new location in the car will probably help me, as it's my right hand I have the most trouble with. We'll see.

Thanks so much!!:):):):)

Why can't any one company get everything right?!?!?! Drives me insane.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We have the same generation Odyssey and I had the same setup: center seat removed and passenger seat moved over. Now that we're using the ClickTight though, I've moved the seat back over to the side and have the aisle in the center. I refuse to ever install the CT with LATCH again. I almost wasn't able to get the seat out of my car when I did. Without push-button connectors, you can't easily release the LATCH anchors. But you also can't (aren't supposed to/can't easily) open the CT panel with the belt/strap still connected. Creates a huge catch-22. (I wrote about it in my review: http://carseatblog.com/30080/britax...nvertible-review-sometimes-things-just-click/)

gigi

If I had to do a latch install on my center seat, i'd use a foonf, a fllo, or a G4 convertible. Those old fashioned latch hooks are the worst!

henrietta

If I had to do a latch install on my center seat, i'd use a foonf, a fllo, or a G4 convertible. Those old fashioned latch hooks are the worst!

We're all spoiled! LOL

The old latch hooks themselves aren't the problem, although I don't love them. It's the way you have to get them unhooked before releasing the ClickTight. ;)

I get it. It sounds like the CT with the old latch connectors is a PITA, nearly impossible most times. Not fun.

I'll think about it.

I like having baby girl either center (easier for me to buckle her in the rain and with my hands w/o a seat next to it) OR outboard passenger side...for when she's the only kid with me. But that's where it's the most difficult for me to put her in and out of her seat, due to my right hand. I'm going to end up dropping her at some point. I've already come close.

My kids might just have to climb over the seatbelt!!!

Also, if I recline the seatback, would that allow enough slack to get the lower anchors unhooked?

This is such a pain. It should not be this difficult.

Wish we could just order another latch strap...if enough of us complained, maybe Britax would send them out or let us order them for the CT's. It's ridiculous to have this high end expensive of a seat and not be able to use LATCH when needed or wanted. Ticks me off.

Grandpa Steve

We have a Britax Click Tight system that will not unhinge so that we can take the seatbelt out. We have unlatched the seat belt, but the top compartment will not pop open. We have pretty much destroyed the seat trying to remove it, but before we end up cutting the seat belt, I was hoping somebody might have some suggestions of how to get it out!
I had the same frustration with the Britax. It finally occurred to me to take a decent, fairly heavy duty pair of pliers and use the pliers to turn the circle button that opens the car seat to open the seat. It really helped having that extra leverage from the pliers. Good luck! (And there has to be a better designed car seat than this one.)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I had the same frustration with the Britax. It finally occurred to me to take a decent, fairly heavy duty pair of pliers and use the pliers to turn the circle button that opens the car seat to open the seat. It really helped having that extra leverage from the pliers. Good luck! (And there has to be a better designed car seat than this one.)
Please contact Britax about your trouble. It's important that they get the feedback for engineering purposes as well as diagnosing your problems.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC