Boulevard issues...

soygurl

Hey, so my friend FINALLY let me help her turn her DD RF again (she turned her a 10 months! :( She's 21 months now... better late than never right? :rolleyes:), and while I was reinstalling the BV I noticed that the strap velcro didn't line up with the velcro on the cover. I know this had been a common problem with the big three britax, but I distinctly remember that the velcro USED to line up in this seat. Now her DH had taken the seat apart because DD threw up in it a while ago, and I'm thinking that maybe he threaded the straps wrong, but I looked at it for quite a while and they looked right to me... The manual was useless, and I haven't been able to see a BV in person in a while. Can anyone help? Maybe with pictures? :eek:

Another thing, was that I couldn't remember if the seat belt goes over the closed lock-offs (I didn't use either because a) the RF lock-offs suck, and b) using their ALR belts is WAY easier), or do I open the lockoffs first? I remember that when their seat was installed by a CPST at the police station he installed it with the seatbelt going over the latch bars too, but I'm pretty sure that isn't how it's usually done... :confused:

Finally, as her DD is on the older side, I tried to install the seat as upright as possible, but due to the angle of their seats, it's really tough. Remind me... it's NOT ok to install a RF seat when it's in upright mode... right? What are my other options?

Oh, and before you suggest just taking it to a tech... they only have check ever 3 months around here, and all the techs I've heard of in the area have SERIOUS issues (like telling someone to put a 3 1/2 year old in JUST a LAP BELT because there weren't any other options for a child of his weight).

Thanks! :D

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I can't help you with the velcro issue, but it is okay to install the seat without having it reclined all the way. Put it in a more upright mode and try to get about a 30-degree angle.

Last edited:

soygurl

Thanks. That's what I originaly though, but then I was re-reading the manual to check for info on the harness/velcro issue and saw that it specifically states to "fully recline" the seat for any RF instillations. So Britax HAS ok'ed installing it in upright mode when RF? Thanks!

jdchic3

Thanks. That's what I originaly though, but then I was re-reading the manual to check for info on the harness/velcro issue and saw that it specifically states to "fully recline" the seat for any RF instillations. So Britax HAS ok'ed installing it in upright mode when RF? Thanks!

I think the manual means to 'click' the seat into recline mode. ;)

soygurl

I think the manual means to 'click' the seat into recline mode. ;)

Well.... I think that's what I was talking about? What other option is there? It seems that according to the manual, the seat HAS to be reclined (i.e. "in recline mode"). But then I think I've heard people here talking about installing the seats in "upright mode" when RF to get a more upright angle for older kids with very flat car seats. :confused:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well.... I think that's what I was talking about? What other option is there? It seems that according to the manual, the seat HAS to be reclined (i.e. "in recline mode"). But then I think I've heard people here talking about installing the seats in "upright mode" when RF to get a more upright angle for older kids with very flat car seats. :confused:

They're talking about the angle you wind up with, not with the recline mechanism on the carseat. The carseat itself must be in the reclined position for RF, but the end result may be anywhere from 30-45 degrees (newborns need a 45 degree angle until they have enough head control to support their heads in a more upright sitting position). You can adjust the recline angle NOT by changing the recline mechanism on the seat - it has to be in recline mode - but by adjust the way the seat is installed. If you pull the base away from the vehicle seat bight a few inches and push down on the front of the carseat where the baby's legs rest, you will end up with a more upright installation even with the carseat in the "reclined" mode.

Does that make sense?

soygurl

They're talking about the angle you wind up with, not with the recline mechanism on the carseat. The carseat itself must be in the reclined position for RF, but the end result may be anywhere from 30-45 degrees (newborns need a 45 degree angle until they have enough head control to support their heads in a more upright sitting position). You can adjust the recline angle NOT by changing the recline mechanism on the seat - it has to be in recline mode - but by adjust the way the seat is installed. If you pull the base away from the vehicle seat bight a few inches and push down on the front of the carseat where the baby's legs rest, you will end up with a more upright installation even with the carseat in the "reclined" mode.

Does that make sense?

First of all, thanks so much for the pictures! I was pretty sure that the harness wasn't quite right, and sure enough... it's wrong. (BV are threaded the same exact was as MA right?).

As for the recline issue, I know about the recline being ok between 30-45 degrees. The issue is that due to my friend's rather flat seats, I'm having trouble getting it anywhere near 30 with the seat in recline mode. I didn't really try having the base forward of the bight though... I'll give that a shot after I re-thread the harness. Thanks! ;)

Defrost

First of all, thanks so much for the pictures! I was pretty sure that the harness wasn't quite right, and sure enough... it's wrong. (BV are threaded the same exact was as MA right?).

I honestly have no clue - I've never seen a Blvd except in stores! I'm guessing it would be the same, but if it were my carseat I'd probably call Britax and ask. And bug them until I got someone who knew what I was talking about. ;)

As for the recline angle, what's the reason for getting it as upright as possible? Anywhere between 30-45 degrees is fine safety-wise. Is it a comfort or legroom issue?

Oh, and be sure you're not over-tightening the RF tether, too; it doesn't have to be as tight as the seatbelt/LATCH, just pull it until there's no slack, just before it starts pulling the shell down.

soygurl

I figured the BV would be the same, and today, I just remembered that a tiny botique just started carrying the BV so I went to check, and it is the same. (as a side note, they also JUST got in the Radian so I got to play with it for the first time! :D)

The recline angle is just for comfort and (hopefully) leg room. The instal is for a VERY tall 21 MO. And I did try keeping the RF tether fairly loose, but the issue really is just the (lack of) angle of the seats in their car.

I think I'll get another shot at it tomorrow though. :)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
The way I understand it is that it HAS to be in recline mode. "Fully reclined" means fully reclined, or in the RF position. I have been able to get VERY upright (much less than 30*) with it in recline mode.

Defrost

I've been able to get it really upright even on flat seats with very little cushioning, so I think you might be able to do it. Remember to pull the base away from the bight and only push it DOWN (right at the front where the baby's legs rest) while tightening. If there's any way you can get in behind it and brace your hips against it so that you're pushing it more upright, that can help, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC