Boosters and the Grand Caravan/Routan

kater-tot82

Took a quick look at the Topside today at Target. It didn't appear there was a belt positioner. Is that true?

Ours does not have a belt positioner.

I am not a tech, but I am not sure I would feel better about the situation even if it had a belt positioner. I'm not sure I would trust that piece of plastic to keep a belt that's 3 inches away from my kid's shoulder in the event of a crash. If something happened to it, the belt would be poorly positioned.

ADS

ginny4

there is not a THING that works back in the 3rd row of our GC either for boosters. its stupid. I made a parental decision to just go without boosters once they surpassed the highbacks in that 3rd row. If positioned just right the lap belt was good. so i taught them how to position the lap belt & we were good to go. I did also use a belt positioner. not sure of the name right now but bought online outside of the U.S. to make it work. may not have been the best idea but i was SO NOT gonna put my harnessed kids back there. It wasn't worth my constant aggravation. if momma ain't happy, nobody happy.

daniele_ut

We have a 2010 Grand Caravan and I'm in the middle of the great booster search for our back row. I've read SO many conflicting reports of what works back there! I had someone tell me yesterday that they have successfully used a Harmony Dreamtime, Evenflo Big Kid, regular Turbo and Turbo with Safety Surround.

I tried our regular Turbo out there with DS yesterday on the highest setting and it does slide pretty freely and the belt stays in the guide and doesn't twist. DS rides in the center right now but I really want to have a good option for outboard and I'd love to have something a little more substantial than the Turbo. The Monterey I ordered works great in the center and in the captains chairs but isn't great outboard. It has the new gray belt guides and the belt does retract but slower than I would like. It worked better for DD's height setting than for DS's. I bought it intending to use it for her in one of the captains chairs in the fall, but I can't decide if I should keep it.

I wouldn't have a problem spending the money for the Kiddy Cruiserfix if it was the holy grail of boosters for the 3rd row, but it sounds like from what Phineasmama says it's just ok.

cookie123

Re: Boosters and the Grand Caravan/Routan Revisited - HIgh back

SO - Are there any high backs that would work? Hannah might consent to one if I bribe her. She might fit. The seat would have to be low. We have the Monterey, but the seat seems kind of high.

Phineasmama

Well the KWP works really nicely, but I doubt you want to spend that much...

I still stand by the cruiserfix as being the best high back (aside from the KWP) but idk if it's tall enough for a 10yo or not.

cookie123

The spreadsheet has the CruiserFix at 20.5 for belt guide height. I doubt that's enough. She's littler in weight and height than her 9 year old brother though. I sent her Monterey over today. I don't know if they had a chance to try it or not.

mama_katz

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that hates that van. I even had a problem with a TB in the dang captains chairs and had to buy a different booster.

canadiangie

I sat in the 3rd row of a GC last week because I was curious if at 5'4" (me) the shoulder belt would sit correctly on my shoulder. Nope, not even close. It was on the edge of my shoulder, barely.

Phineasmama

I'm really thankful I have the option of having all my kids harnessed for an extended period of time. By the time my 20 month old outgrows the Frontier 90 (she's still rear facing no worries!) we should be able to get a new vehicle! I feel bad for people with 4 kids though.

mama_katz

My twins are rf in the 3rd row. I told my husband that when the girls need to turn around, we'll be buying a new car.

cookie123

Things are situated for now. 3rd row passenger - Keyfit, driver Evenflo SK 400 with latch. Captains seats center row - Graco Connext x 2. All is well until Griffin out grows the Keyfit or Matthew out weighs LATCH. Then the trouble begins again.

They got the passenger captains chair fixed so now it can fold over and the Keyfit can be lifted over it.

ginny4

I sat in the 3rd row of a GC last week because I was curious if at 5'4" (me) the shoulder belt would sit correctly on my shoulder. Nope, not even close. It was on the edge of my shoulder, barely.

agreed. its not a good fit. We just make do since its all we have. I tell my big guys to lean toward the window so the belt fits better. Now my tallest DS 14yo is 5'10". He hasn't fit in YEARS. A new van is out of the question.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC