Boostering fail!

jess71903

Ambassador
So, because the in-laws have expressed interest in having seats of their own for my kids, and I feel they'd do better with a booster, I let Gage ride in his ProSport in booster mode today, with strict instructions for how one should ride in a booster.

On the way TO therapy, he did great. I had to give a couple of reminders not to lean over, but he very quickly got back into place and said "oh, ok." On the way home, though....He says "uh oh. It's unbuckled." Um, what?? What do you mean "unbuckled?" " I accidentally unbuckled it, mom." I guess at least he told me. I pulled over into a parking lot and re-installed the seat and buckled him in the harness (exactly why I disobeyed instructions and left the harness in but out of the way!). So, yeah. No booster for us yet. Besides, it was WAY harder for ME to buckle. No thanks!

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
Aw, sorry it didn't go very well.

I'm kind of not sorry, to be honest. I think I'd rather buckle the harness than try to buckle that blasted seatbelt every time. I was also kind of nervous about it anyway. I feel better with him still in a harness, but with his neuro issues, it sounds better to booster, too....I don't know.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm kind of not sorry, to be honest. I think I'd rather buckle the harness than try to buckle that blasted seatbelt every time. I was also kind of nervous about it anyway. I feel better with him still in a harness, but with his neuro issues, it sounds better to booster, too....I don't know.

I had switched the (then 5.5yo) boy I nanny into a booster for one ride. It was really hard to buckle him. That was enough to make me want to reharness him, but I loved my ProBooster so much that it was worth the difficulty. He is 6 now and I have him harnessed again in the Nautilus since my ProBooster can no longer be used.

jjordan

I'm surprised he owned up to unbuckling it! My kids are more apt to say something like, "I don't know what happened, mom, but hey! it's unbuckled!"

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm surprised he owned up to unbuckling it! My kids are more apt to say something like, "I don't know what happened, mom, but hey! it's unbuckled!"

Ha! This kid tells me everything. I was all ready to punish Evie for cutting her own hair when he pipes up "I did it, Mom!" He's honest, almost to a fault.

henrietta

You know him best, and maybe he really isn't ready yet... but having gone through that before, I wanted to add something. My son did that once or twice. He has some delays...and he just couldn't seem to remember what would happen when he pushed that red button. He'd never used it before and he was excited about it. It wore off pretty fast. Like your son, he told me right away and I pulled over. He was excited about learning to buckle and unbuckle himself in and I hadn't given him any chance to play w/the buckles before. I let him have the opportunity later and taught him how to buckle himself in and out...he wasn't interested in pulling an "oops!" in the car after that, esp when I put him back in a harness once for a week. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC