Booster seat safety

M

momofmf

Booster seat safety

My daughter is currently using the Kangaroo booster seat. I LOVE this seat and had planned to leave her in it for a while longer. I recently noticed that the top of the seat is at the middle of her ears. She is 6 years old, 70 pounds, 4 feet 4inches tall. Does this mean its time for her to move to the regular vehicle seat?
Please advise.
Thanks,
Brenda

ADS
C

Caviller

Some options-

If the tips of her ears are above the top of the back of the high back booster, she may indeed be too tall. Unless you have vehicle headrests which can be positioned to provide head/neck support, she may be increasing at risk of a whiplash injury as she gets taller.

Your daughter may indeed fit in a vehicle lap&should belt without a booster at this point. Still, most recommend some type of booster seat until about 8 years or 80 pounds.

For more information on when to move out of a booster, you might check our FAQ link above, or click here:

user.mc.net/~carseat/faq.html#Q9

You might also try the five step test here:

www.carseat.org/Resources/630.htm

If your vehicle does have headrests for the back seat, you might consider switching to an inexpensive backless booster like the Evenflo Rightfit (less than $25 at ToysRUs/BabiesRUs). This model is effective and also a bit less visible to older kids who may not want to be seen in a booster seat:)

M

momofmf

Re: Some options-

THANKS!
The first website I went to (babiesrus) said the seat was only good for 40-60 pounds but then I went to evenflo.com and they show it up to 80 pounds.
My van does have the neck support but I want her to be as safe as she possible can so I'll go get this in the am.
Thanks again!
B

C

Caviller

Great!

I should have been a bit more clear about the neck support also. The headrest must be able to adjusted so that it is at the back of the head. If the child is in a high back booster and is too tall for it, it is quite likely that the back of the booster will be thick enough such that the headrest on the seat could not be adjusted properly, depending on make and model.

If you install the new booster and have any concerns, please seek out a trained, local technician. These can often be found at police departments, fire departments, hospitals, health departments, etc.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC