Question Booster Seat Bench??

U

Unregistered

Why doesn't someone invent one long booster seat bench that multiple kids could all sit on for the back row of a mini van? Seems like it would be way easier than trying to cram 3 car seats in the back row? For a booster, all you really need to do is raise the child enough so that the seat belt hits across their shoulder, right? Does this bench type booster for multiple kids exist? We are going on a long road trip and my kids are all small/petite, but age 4, 8, 10 and all will be in the back row. Any suggestions?

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Well, it's a great idea, it would just be very hard to actually make. For one thing, boosters do much more than just lift the child so the shoulder belt fits - they make sure the lap-belt fits as well, and provide leg support so that the child isn't scooting forward so his/her knees bend and the edge of the vehicle seat (which displaces the lap and shoulder belts, of course.) Highback boosters also provide additional protection in a side-impact crash, as well as head restraints in vehicles that don't already have them.

While it's possible that a manufacturer could create such a bench that would be compatible with ONE van, it's unlikely it would be universal. Vans in particular are so different in how the seats are made and where the seat belts are placed that each one would have to be customized.

That said, there is a European company making something similar to what you've described. I can't remember the name, but I'm sure someone will come along and post a link. :)

Now, as for your current problem, if you can post which seats your kids are using now, their weights, and the year/make/model of your vehicle, we might have some suggestions for you. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

The Multimac is interesting. Smart too. Too bad I just need the booster part - my kids are beyond 5 point harnesses - I just need something to boost them higher in the seat - don't need anything extra like arm rests, cup holders, etc. Just to get their shoulders higher. Thanks for the info though.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your four year old can definitely fit in a good number of harnesses. Your eight year old maybe (there are quite a few people here with harnessed eight year olds), but your ten year old will probably get a consensus that yes, a booster is fine. :)

Especially for the younger group, the four year old, having a good booster helps take some stress off of the immature skeleton, not just boost them up. The bones don't completely ossify until six years old (some of us still have our four year olds rear facing to help protect against internal decapitation) and don't reach adult strength until 12. So whatever you can do to as close to those ages as possible to keep them in a five point, and then keep them in a booster, is good. Especially if they're petite.

What seat did your four year old grow out of? How much do they weigh?

Wendy

christineka

The multimac is meant to fit children up to age 12 because in the UK it is law that children under 12 must be in some kind of child restraint. My older kids (7 and 9) are in boosters, but if I could get a multimac I'd put them back in harnesses. Not that it really matters now anyway because it won't be available in the US for at least a year.

Now, your 4 year old as previously mentioned ought to be in a harnessed seat- not a booster. A tried and true 3 in a row for a tiny car is the get a Sunshine kids' radian seat (holds a kid up to 65 or 80 pounds) for the youngest and place it in the center seat. Put the boosters outboard.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC