Booster help in Acadia

GSPlover16

Hi.

Hoping someone might have some suggestions on what might work better in my 2015 GMC Acadia. My son is 7 and currently in a Britax Skyline booster seat. He prefers a high back booster and I do as well so we would like to stick with that type.

Our issue is the seatbelts click ins have very little give and my son really struggles being able to buckle his seatbelt himself. Are there any high back boosters out there that aren't ridiculously expensive that might be more narrow at the back to give him more room to buckle himself in?

He is 4ft 1" and about 53lb. He is pretty tall and thin.

Another question I sometimes find he has buckled himself in using the center buckle hook in by mistake instead of the one closest to himself. I am assuming this is not considered safe?

Thank you!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi!

Can you explain a little about where you need it narrow- at the back of the base?

What's your budget?

And you're correct, it's important to use the correct buckle. Any chance of switching what side he's on so that can't happen?

GSPlover16

Thanks. I mainly am just looking for it to be more narrow at the back of the base so he would possibly have a bit more room to get a hand back there to buckle up.

I really can't switch him to the other side. My daughter is 2.5 and rear facing in a chicco fit4 behind the driver seat and she is on the bigger side of the seat. My son often has friends over and when that happens we are able to put his booster in the 3rs row and just fold down his smaller side so they can hop into the 3rd row together. This wouldn't be as easy to do if we swapped sides. The fit 4 is fairly wide and it makes it too hard to flip the seat down if she is on the other side.

Ideally I'd love to stay at or under $100 if possible but can go higher if needed. My 2.5 year old is very petite I imagine will be in a booster for a long time so it can always be passed down to her too if we run into similar issues with her fit4 when the time comes.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Cybex Solutions B-Fix is normally about $100 but on sale for $80 a few places now. It has a nice taper.

The Maxi-Cosi Rodisport is about $150 and is a bit narrower than what you have at the back.

The Harmony Dreamtime is about $60, I think, and all-around pretty narrow. (It's also short, tho.)

I would always recommend buying from somewhere with an easy returns policy!

If you can't switch positions, I would tuck down the center buckle, or simply buckle in the unused belt, to keep him from using the wrong one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheAmandaRowan

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC