booster height recs.

Michi

I'm reading through the manual, and noticing that DD11 is taller that the height rec. on her new backless booster. (She is under the weight limit, though.)
I'm a little concerned because her ears are right at the level of the headrest (on the highest setting) :(

IMG_3328.jpg

Do you think it is okay for her to still use it?

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Do you have pics of her without a booster?

Are there any other seating positions she can use?

FOR NOW the booster is fine, but when she grows she won't have adequate head support.

Michi

We have tried her in all seating positions in the car, (except the lap belts) and unfortunately, they all fit about the same. The lower part of the belt keeps riding up on her abdomen.
IMG_2248.jpg

(she passes the other 4 parts of the 5 step test)

andre149

Darn those in between kids ;)

If it were in my car I would stick with the booster for a little bit longer and keep an eye on her growth. Hopefully by the time she gains that extra little bit of height the lap belt will fit her better. I'm not sure on this one, but is it possible to get a lower sitting booster so her head isn't so high?

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think the lowest profile backless is the GO with the harness removed, a bit expensive for a backless.

Does she fit into any high back boosters?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Do you have switchable belts? Because my belt does that in our car (and many other cars) and my solution is to position it where it needs to be, and lock it so it will stay in place.

Michi

I think the lowest profile backless is the GO with the harness removed, a bit expensive for a backless.

Does she fit into any high back boosters?

No - she outgrew the Monarch about a year ago.
She's been in a turbo and the Dakota just came today. (see this post http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?p=897926#post897926)

I was so hoping it would work for her... she is at a weird 'in between' stage. :confused: (Now I know why they call them 'tweens') :rolleyes:

Pixels

Where are her hip bones in relation to the lap belt without the booster? If you looked at me in a lot of vehicles, the lap belt looks similar to that, but it's actually sitting on my hip bones so it's okay. What happens if she tries to reposition the belt lower? I can often get a better fit if I purposely reposition the belt, rather than just letting it fall where it wants.

Michi

Too bad you couldn't twist the belt stalk because that would probably bring the lap belt down a lot lower.

You know, I thought about that....
CAN I do that if she isn't in a seat?

Her hip bones are under the belt. :(
We do have switchable retractors there, but it really doesn't do any good to lock them because it is the lap portion of the belt that rides up...if I crank them tight/lock them - they just ride up even higher.

I don't think I could get Dh to spring for a RSTV or a Go...just because he thinks she is so close to fitting the belt (and because we are hoping/praying to get a new vehicle this fall - so hopefully all of this will be a thing of the past in a few months):rolleyes:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would try switching female buckles, ie, buckle into the center belt's receiver, and see if that helps.

To be honest though, I'm not sure she is sitting back all the way. Close, but not quite. Have her sit so that her legs bend and lean forward a bit. If there is a gap between her butt and the seat back at all, it would explain why the fit is poor. My DS *can* sit all the way back in the third row, but I have to have him lean forward as he scoots his bottom back or he rounds his back and tucks his hips in.

Michi

I would try switching female buckles, ie, buckle into the center belt's receiver, and see if that helps.

To be honest though, I'm not sure she is sitting back all the way. Close, but not quite. Have her sit so that her legs bend and lean forward a bit. If there is a gap between her butt and the seat back at all, it would explain why the fit is poor. My DS *can* sit all the way back in the third row, but I have to have him lean forward as he scoots his bottom back or he rounds his back and tucks his hips in.

She probably isn't...
She's a sloucher - which I'm constantly 'on' her about.
(That's part of the reason I always felt safer with her in a booster. Because as we ride, I know she's going to slouch...and the belt issue will only get worse. :()

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What I do, is position the belt low first-- and then lock the belt. But if it rides up more once locked, it obviously won't work in that position.

LauraLoutoo

CPS Technician
I admittedly don't know as much as I'd like about boosters, but what about a belt shortening clip on the buckle stalk? I know Toyota allows this for harnessed seats, but again, no idea if it's an option for a booster.

Maedze

I admittedly don't know as much as I'd like about boosters, but what about a belt shortening clip on the buckle stalk? I know Toyota allows this for harnessed seats, but again, no idea if it's an option for a booster.

No, absolutely not an option for that sort of use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC