Booster for long-torso 9 year old

Ahzryn

Hi all, been forever since I've been around and I've let my CPST certification expire, but my last kiddo is giving me fits carseat wise so I am hoping you all can offer some advice/suggestions. 20+ years of carseats and there's always something, right?!?

My youngest is 9 years old, 57" and 49 lbs. Tall skinny string bean, and unfortunately his height is not in his legs, just like my older girls were (now 20 and 21!). He's currently in a Britax Pinnacle Clicktight, booster mode as his shoulders went over the top harness slots over a year ago. Now I went to move his headrest up because I noticed it was too low, and crap, it was already at the top.

His height hasn't put him over the standing limit, but torso seems to be the issue here. He in no way meets the 5 step test in our van, so I thought the answer was a backless booster, but I am seeing a lot of 57" standing height limits. I cannot recall for the life of me the rules regarding standing height limits and backless boosters; in the Chicco Gofit Plus the shoulder belt is positioned correctly and his head has plenty of vehicle headrest. Same with a Graco backless TurboBooster we use for grandma's car, though he outgrew the highback years ago.

Thoughts?

Tam

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
So sorry for the delay- I polled our expert facebook group moderators and the suggestions were the Diono Solana and possibly the Graco RightGuide.

Keep in mind that standing height limits are an artifact of the wording of the federal standards and the dummy used and not necessarily a safety concern with a backless booster, provided there is adequate head support from the vehicle head restraint as per the manual.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC