Question Booster for grownup?

eddis

Perhaps this is slightly off-topic, but couldn't find a good answer when I googled/searched these forums.... Is there a booster seat for adults like me, five feet, and oh, 120#-ish? My car is in for repairs and I have just realized that in my husband's car the seatbelt doesn't properly fit me (over my abdomen/cutting into my neck), and the seat's too deep for driving comfortably. I am using a pillow/folded blanket for the moment, but wonder if there's something better? The Bubble Bum weight limit is too low, and most backless booster seats I've seen have arm rests. Any suggestions? :)

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Check out the Harmony Olympian... It has armrests but is quite deep and wide. I nearly fit and I'm um... bigger than you lol.

eddis

Hee, thanks!! I'll check it out!! (I can imagine there are a few booster-able kids out there who are bigger than me - I have a pair of pants I supposedly bought for DD - who's only seven - which are size 13-youth ;P)

eddis

I wouldn't mind using backless boosters either, but I sat on our Bubble Bum and it started letting out air o_O (granted the valve had been left open, but still... ;P) and when I tried sitting in some backless seats at Target, a while back, I was within the limit but my hips were too wide. I'll have to see if the Olympian fits me!

eddis

Update: had bought the Harmony Youth Booster (not a Literider, not the Olympian - it's the pink zebra cover) for my carpool so I tried it out this morning. Good news is my posterior fits, BUT I feel like I am up too high when I am sitting on it (my feet are *just* touching the floor but I feel like I have to sit awkwardly).

So I'm going to try the Bubble Bum again... if that works, even if I have to let a little air out vs. how we have it inflated for a kid, then I may order one for myself.

To be continued... ;)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I also almost fit in an original Frontier, but if you're talking about for driving, I don't think I'd use it. If the Youth Booster sits you up too high, I think you'll find all standard backless boosters too thick. The Bubblebum sounds like it's worth a try.

eddis

Yep, I have tried sitting in DD's Frontier 85 and my hips *almost* fit. :p But yeah, for driving purposes I think I've ruled out most backless boosters. Will report back on the BB! :)

eddis

OK, tried the Bubble Bum on the ten-minute drive to pick up DD. Works much better than the Harmony -since it's inflatable, I can customize the height precisely. It's quite narrow - I am petite and it fits fine, but wonder if someone else might find it awkward to perch on.

As far as seatbelt alignment - the lap belt portion is in a much better position using the BB (right across top of my thighs) and the shoulder-belt positioning is just ok, still slides to my neck a bit, but maybe that's a function of my "girls". ;P

I do find it somewhat unforgiving on my back, as the firm air cushion transmits every tiny bump on the road straight to my spine. :D Maybe I'll dig out my old standby the throw pillow, which is squishy, obviously, but it might be the most workable compromise. :p

At any rate, the Bubble Bum should work well for situations like rentals with unknown seating and/or using DH's car, where the belt really does not fit me properly at all. But in my own car [Toyota], which fits me better, I might trade off for a bit more comfort. I do think I'd recommend this for petite grownups if they will be using an unfamiliar car, since it's so portable and customizable.

mamakc

I've been using a firm couch pillow in dh's car. It works really well at changing where the belt hits me, and it's as firm as the vehicle seat so I feel like it's ok to sit on, personally.

-Krista
DD~5~Monterey & Dreamtime
DS~3~Complete Air 65 LX & Maestro
DN~1~Complete Air LX

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC