Booster for almost 7yr old?

KristinD

DD is 6, she will be 7 at the end of May. Currently she is harnessed in a Frontier80, but honestly, it's so dirty and I am tired of looking at it. The cover is impossible to clean. I looked into a new cover and I can not find one anywhere. So, I guess in order to get a clean seat I'll have to buy new. What would you recommend? I am not sure if it's worth getting another harnessed seat, or if I should just go for a booster? It's been a LONG time since I've looked for car seats, so I'd appreciate any recommendations.

She is about 44lbs, 44in.

ETA: She has a turbobooster in DH's truck and HATES it (she's only in his truck about 3 times a year).

ADS

mominabigtruck

Why is the fr85 impossible to clean? My kids are super rough on their covers and I've never had one not come out. I pretreat with an oxy gel and then do a soak in the tub with laundry soap in hot water. Then I wash in the machine on cold with a good quality soap and baking soda.

I've had everything from cherry slush, melted candy, cat Pee and smoke and this method works for all of it.

mominabigtruck

She said it's the FR80. From what I've read, they had awful mesh covers. Is that right, OP? Does she need more padding than the turbo?

I had an 80 before my 85 and I didn't think it was any more difficult. Sometimes I'd use a nail brush to get under the mesh but it certainly wasn't uncleanable.

My kids never liked the tb either, I think it was the lack of padding and wings compared to setas like britax. At least in my experience my kids have no desire to go from a cushy, more expensive seat to a cheaper seat. I'm no help with what to get though, I have os parkways that everyone loves but are discontinued:(

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Unless she has maturity or special needs issues you did not mention, most 7 year olds do fine in a booster. Have you tried taking her to someplace where they let you try out the seats and just having her sit in them until she "okays" one?

KristinD

She said it's the FR80. From what I've read, they had awful mesh covers. Is that right, OP? Does she need more padding than the turbo?

Yes, the awful mesh! It just doesn't seem to come as clean as I like it. The dirt from her sitting with her feet crossed on the seat does not come out!

She has no maturity or special needs issues. I think like mentioned, she is used to the comfort Britax provides. I was looking at a Recaro booster (forget the name). It's on sale for $82 on diapers.com and I have a coupon code.

KristinD

Why is the fr85 impossible to clean? My kids are super rough on their covers and I've never had one not come out. I pretreat with an oxy gel and then do a soak in the tub with laundry soap in hot water. Then I wash in the machine on cold with a good quality soap and baking soda.

I've had everything from cherry slush, melted candy, cat Pee and smoke and this method works for all of it.

I am going to give this a try! :thumbsup:

D&L's-mommy

Yes, the awful mesh! It just doesn't seem to come as clean as I like it. The dirt from her sitting with her feet crossed on the seat does not come out!

She has no maturity or special needs issues. I think like mentioned, she is used to the comfort Britax provides. I was looking at a Recaro booster (forget the name). It's on sale for $82 on diapers.com and I have a coupon code.

a recaro for $82 must be the vivo. That's what I was going to recommend. my ds has one and loves it. He really doesn't like his turbo either. the vivo is a great fit for smaller kids (like yours) but my 4'3" 73lb ds still fits in it well, it does have some mesh on it though, but it stays pretty clean, although we've never had any major messes in it. also, it doesn't convert to nbb,but that's not a concern for me at all. the vivo has a lot more padding than the tb, and deeper sides and head wings. DS says he feels safer in it, I think because there's more to it, kwim?

KristinD

a recaro for $82 must be the vivo. That's what I was going to recommend. my ds has one and loves it. He really doesn't like his turbo either. the vivo is a great fit for smaller kids (like yours) but my 4'3" 73lb ds still fits in it well, it does have some mesh on it though, but it stays pretty clean, although we've never had any major messes in it. also, it doesn't convert to nbb,but that's not a concern for me at all. the vivo has a lot more padding than the tb, and deeper sides and head wings. DS says he feels safer in it, I think because there's more to it, kwim?

I will look into this seat as well! Thanks :)

Some pro boosters are 82 on amazon right now, that might be it too :)

This is the one I was looking at! Is it a good seat?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC