Blankets for in the Car

Mugsmom

I'd love to get each of my kids a blanket for using in their carseat when we travel. The only big kid-sized blankets I see are made of polyester fleece. I realize they are probably treated with a flame retardant, but I worry about polyester being very flammable and a flame retardant wearing off after multiple washes. How comfortable are you with using fleece blankets in the car?

ADS

rachelandtyke

I love the kids snuggies (worn backwards) and other fleece blankets for in the car. I have a small one that fits perfectly in the baby's rfing seat. I don't wash them all that often. Blankets can so easily get pulled or thrown off, I am not concerned about if they maintain their flame resistant coating. My kids usually keep them on until the heat has warmed the car up well and then kick them off anyway. But I didn't worry about it even when the heat in the car wasn't working.

Dillipop

If you're looking for flame retardant that doesn't wash out, a wool blanket in a throw blanket size boils be naturally flame resistant.

henrietta

I do my best to strip flame retardant chemicals out of anything & everything that my kids touch. I personally find the risk of cancer causing & endocrine disrupting hormones to be a far greater risk to their health than the really unlikely chance they will catch on fire. The one friend I know of who was in a severe enough crash to cause a fire died in it, b/c it was so hot, so fast, there was no getting him out. :)

My kids use regular fleece blankets in the car. I actually just bought them each another one for Christmas, b/c they drag them everywhere this time of year. ;)

2BunniesMommy

I love the kids snuggies (worn backwards) and other fleece blankets for in the car. I have a small one that fits perfectly in the baby's rfing seat. I don't wash them all that often. Blankets can so easily get pulled or thrown off, I am not concerned about if they maintain their flame resistant coating. My kids usually keep them on until the heat has warmed the car up well and then kick them off anyway. But I didn't worry about it even when the heat in the car wasn't working.

This exactly. Snuggies on over the harness work great because they can still do stuff and they don't fall off like blankets. Honestly whether they are flame resistant has never crossed my mind.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

What? I thought no blankets had flame retardants.
I always call a company when in doubt. I know they are in pajamas.
I have NEVER had a company tell me they are in bedding.
I hope they are not in there!

gigi

Fleece doesn't have flame retardants as far as I know. Fleece PJs meet the flammability standard without flame retardants.

aporthole

Fleece doesn't have flame retardants as far as I know. Fleece PJs meet the flammability standard without flame retardants.

No, fleece PJs for kids all have flame retardant chemicals. We don't buy fleece jammies because of them.

aporthole

Fleece PJs under 9 month size don't have to have the flame retardant chemicals but 9 month and up (to age 14) fleece PJs do. Fleece is pretty flamable/melts easily. I know my husband has melted holes in quite a few fleece jackets just from campfire sparks landing on him.

kidnurse

I do my best to strip flame retardant chemicals out of anything & everything that my kids touch. I personally find the risk of cancer causing & endocrine disrupting hormones to be a far greater risk to their health than the really unlikely chance they will catch on fire. The one friend I know of who was in a severe enough crash to cause a fire died in it, b/c it was so hot, so fast, there was no getting him out. :) My kids use regular fleece blankets in the car. I actually just bought them each another one for Christmas, b/c they drag them everywhere this time of year. ;)

How do you strip the flame retardant out?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Washing stuff a few times will take out any excess chemicals and might make a dent in the rest, but I'm not sure there's a way to completely remove them.

As for blankets, remember that your kids' hair, clothes, stuffed animals, anything else they'll have on them, isn't flame retardant, and even if they were, it wouldn't do much (if any) good in a car fire. Unless you have smokers in the car, it's really a non-issue.

henrietta

How do you strip the flame retardant out?

Well, the instructions for most products with flame retardants say "use detergent, not soap, to wash" so I'm assuming soap will strip out the flame retardant. ;) But I also use Borax and wash on hot water. I hope that it works. My kids have lots of fleece jammies this year. Normally, I don't buy them at all, b/c I don't like them and my boys get hot & itchy. But one of mine loves the soft feel...and the other doesn't like anything snug fitting. He mostly sleeps in sleep pants or undies & t shirts.
You can also google for instructions..

Who knows? Maybe it doesn't work or doesn't matter, but it makes me feel better! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC