BJ City Micro - carry-on friendly?

fitzski

Looking to pick up a compact but capable stroller to ease the burden of long airport layovers on some upcoming travel with our kids, principally for our youngest boy (8 mos old at travel time).

We want something small, light, and portable - that can be taken as carry-on luggage - and would prefer some form of recline. Will the City Micro fit that bill, or are we better off with a more traditional umbrella stroller (Maclaren or ____)? I *might* consider a double, as we are also travelling with our 2.5 mos old son, but again, needs to be carry-on portable.

I know the differences between the Micro and Mini (proper recline, canopy, etc)... but as the Mini seems to be about twice the price, is not likely worth it for something that will be used so sparingly.

FYI, a Valco Tri-Mode is our daily use stroller, but it's not really suitable for lightweight air travel, nor is our Chariot (Cougar 2).

Thanks!
Scott.

ADS

SavsMom

The Micro would probably work quite well as it does fold up small, and is super easy to fold and carry while holding a child. I will say that the recline is very minimal, however for an 8 month old it should be fine. I did use mine for air travel, however I gate checked it.

I've had my Micro for over 6 months now and use it everyday and love it, it has held up very very well and worked great at Disney - was wonderful for getting on the monorail and trains in the park.

LuvMyCharlie

I just always gate check mine. It's come out fine everytime but you could buy a travel bag if you felt the need.

BTW, we use the same strollers! <3 my Tri-Mode.

fitzski

The reason for carry-on is so that we can actually use it in the airport... at one point, we have a 3-hr wait between flights. If not for that, we'd probably just stick with the Baby Bjorn... but with 2 mos still before we leave, and Graeme already at ~21lbs... that would be a back-breaker.

I've read that the recline is not great on the Micro, though Graeme is sitting up well and has great head control. So long as he can nap comfortably when need be.
20100306-graeme-004.jpg

(blatant bragging.... http://fitzski.blogspot.com/ )

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to try and see the Micro (single & double) in person later this week.

LuvMyCharlie

OOOO... he's so cute!

BTW, gate check=using it through the airport. I'm assuming you know this, just wanted to clarify that mine goes all the way to the door of the plane with me. They stow it in the cargo area underneath and it's always waiting on me before we're even of the plane at our destination. :)

fitzski

OOOO... he's so cute!

BTW, gate check=using it through the airport. I'm assuming you know this, just wanted to clarify that mine goes all the way to the door of the plane with me. They stow it in the cargo area underneath and it's always waiting on me before we're even of the plane at our destination. :)

Ah - ok; no... I didn't realize that's what you meant, but that's the service we're after. Thanks for following up!

fitzski

Long overdue... but thought I'd post some pics of the Baby Jogger City Micro that we took on our flight, especially as it was collapsed and packed up - along with the Valco Hitch Hiker - for gate-check through the airports. It worked *GREAT*!!

Sure, folding and packing it took a couple of minutes, but well worth it for the convenience of having it in the airport. Folded up very nicely, with all wheels removed (including those on the Hitch Hiker), and tucked safely between the folds. I put it in a heavy plastic bag and made sure everything stayed secure with a wide luggage strap.

Also - this stroller is AWESOME! We only got it for travel, but it's now our default stroller, while the Valco Tri-Mode stays at home for walks on the property and our gravel roads. It's great for our almost 1-year old, and our almost 3-year old loves the Hitch Hiker (on the rare occasions he needs to use it). The stroller is extremely maneuverable (easy with one hand, and even with your hips while putting stuff back in your wallet or checking the iPhone...). Love it.

Pics...
http://s420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/fitzski613/Baby Jogger City Micro/

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC