bigger kids and road trips

julia94115

DD just turned 7 and is in a NBB.

We are leaving on a road trip this week and I'm not sure what to do about sleeping in the car. She'll be skiiing and will fall asleep in the car on the ride home for sure.

She is way too tall for any HBB that we have. She's 54" and all torso.

I was thinking I may be able to put her in the middle of the back seat and try a HBB booster again (I previously had tried it behind passenger but it hit the ceiling where it curved down and tilted the seat) but then I would have ZERO view out of my rearview mirror and traffic most likely will be harried since it's a busy weekend.

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking I really don't have any options here...

TIA. :)

ADS

Dillipop

We usually put kids up to 10ish in highbacks for long trips- anything over 4 hrs. But if you don't have something that fits, then I wouldn't go out and buy an new seat. Have you looked at the Cardiff headrests? They attach to the existing head restraint and crate a place to rest your head in the car. I love mine for me, haven't tried with a kid yet but others here have them for their backless booster kids and like them.

julia94115

We usually put kids up to 10ish in highbacks for long trips- anything over 4 hrs. But if you don't have something that fits, then I wouldn't go out and buy an new seat. Have you looked at the Cardiff headrests? They attach to the existing head restraint and crate a place to rest your head in the car. I love mine for me, haven't tried with a kid yet but others here have them for their backless booster kids and like them.

Yeah- I'd have her in a HBB fulltime if it fit.

I'll take a look at the Cardiff Headrests. They're "safe"- yes? I wonder though if I'd have the same issue with having it high enough for her head but then it would hit the side/ceiling. She's just so dang long!!!!

aeormsby

I'd try the headrest too if a HBB isn't an option. My DD had a HBB for our really long trip over the summer (she was 8.5yo) but that was because of the lack of headrests in that vehicle. Our other longer trip she was in a NBB and did fine, that was only a 3 hour drive though. My DS is a sleeper anytime we're doing a longer drive so I'll be keeping a HBB around for him for quite a while, luckily he's not super tall though.

julia94115

Ok- I just ordered a Cardiff Headrest. Free returns at Amazon so I had nothing to lose.

I just need a mini van.... sigh.....

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was going to suggest a Cardiff, too.

I actually want one for myself when I am a passenger in a car. :p

bnsnyde

For road trips, I take out high backs because I can't see. I MUST see or it won't be pretty. Dangerous.

Even though the kids are in HBB full-time, on road trips, we go low. The smaller kids, it's not so much an issue. But 7+ it is.

Though, my kids don't sleep.

In your case I'd just buy the biggest booster on the market for the road trip or any future ones. For peace of mind and safety. I just bought a Diono Cambria and it's crazy tall. Up to 63 inches I think? It was cheap, like $69 bucks on sale on Amazon or something. Problem solved.

julia94115

For road trips, I take out high backs because I can't see. I MUST see or it won't be pretty. Dangerous.

Even though the kids are in HBB full-time, on road trips, we go low. The smaller kids, it's not so much an issue. But 7+ it is.

Though, my kids don't sleep.

In your case I'd just buy the biggest booster on the market for the road trip or any future ones. For peace of mind and safety. I just bought a Diono Cambria and it's crazy tall. Up to 63 inches I think? It was cheap, like $69 bucks on sale on Amazon or something. Problem solved.

The problem is, to have it adjusted high enough to fit DD- it hits the ceiling and still isn't tall enough for her. I drive a Honda CRV and the ceiling is pretty tall but it still hits!

aept

I'm wondering if you could buckle in/install an empty HBB or some other FF seat next to her and put a little pillow or blanket between that and her head for her to rest upon and stay in pretty good position?
I'm just thinking this since my DS (who is 8 and a nbb user) rests his head on the FF radian next to him (occupied by his brother) if he falls asleep in the prius. The belt stays in a good position on him. That's a plus about it being such a tight squeeze in there, it's almost impossible for him to shift out of position!

kater-tot82

I agree with the Cardiff head rest.

My 11.5yo is the worst traveler in our group at night time. My two younger kids just sleep in their seats but she has not been able to sleep in the car at all since she got out of a HBB. She doesn't seem to get the idea of sleeping straight up, she feels she has to have something to lean against in order to sleep.

HappyHoo

I have a Parkway I was able to put the back on again for DD after a couple weekends of having to watch her closely in the Incognito b/c she would slump over while sleeping some of the time - chin/head up didn't work b/c she wouldn't keep it up. And the way the headrests are in DH's vehicle - it's not really comfortable I'm guessing.

Hope the Cardiff headrest works - I'm thinking I'm going to have to give in and order one for her.

julia94115

Well, the Cardiff seems to be a no-go. DD has such a gosh-darn long torso that by the time she's in her NBB, if I put the Cardiff on, it's way too low and jams into the tops of her shoulders- even with the headrest as high as it can go.
It's weird because now that I am looking at photos of the Cardiff online, it doesn't sit at the sides of the headrest, it sits BELOW the headrest, which doesn't really make any sense.
Hmmm, I just had a thought as I'm typing this, I wonder if I could install it upside down so that those wings would be facing up instead of down??? Hmmmm.......

I'm feeling so frustrated- we leave in the morning and I just don't know what the best scenario will be.

I tried to add photos but for some reason I keep getting an "upload error". :mad:

Dillipop

Well, the Cardiff seems to be a no-go. DD has such a gosh-darn long torso that by the time she's in her NBB, if I put the Cardiff on, it's way too low and jams into the tops of her shoulders- even with the headrest as high as it can go. It's weird because now that I am looking at photos of the Cardiff online, it doesn't sit at the sides of the headrest, it sits BELOW the headrest, which doesn't really make any sense. Hmmm, I just had a thought as I'm typing this, I wonder if I could install it upside down so that those wings would be facing up instead of down??? Hmmmm....... I'm feeling so frustrated- we leave in the morning and I just don't know what the best scenario will be. I tried to add photos but for some reason I keep getting an "upload error". :mad:

I install mine upside down to use it as an adult. I also install mine backwards to get maximum height. Play around with it.

julia94115

I install mine upside down to use it as an adult. I also install mine backwards to get maximum height. Play around with it.

LOL- ahhh- so you're saying I'm NOT a genius-it's been done before! ;)

Oh good- so then there's a possibility that it still may work then.

Dillipop

Yeah. I was super disappointed when I first tried it the right way. I didn't buy it for a kid. I want somewhere to sleep in the car! It actually worked really well on our cross country drive and I will be remaking it out this week for our 14 hour drive next weekend. I was installing on the front passenger seat and didn't want the wings to go behind the head rest when stored, which I think is why I installed it backwards as well as upside down. If you don't have someone behind the headrest, you may be able to get away with just upside down. And make sure you install it off center. I install so that the head piece is farthest from the window and lean towards the window with the hope it won't interfere with the side curtain airbags. It also puts the head pece close enough to comfortably lean my head to the side. Combine with those c-shaped super squihy car pillows, it was wonderful.

Lovatic24

You know you can use the buttons on each side to adjust the angle right? The picture on the box isn't the only way to use it. (I also just bought them for me to use in the car)

julia94115

You know you can use the buttons on each side to adjust the angle right? The picture on the box isn't the only way to use it. (I also just bought them for me to use in the car)

Hmmm. On mine there are only two adjustments- up and out of the way or all the way down....

Athena

I drive a Honda CRV and the ceiling is pretty tall but it still hits!

Have you tried a Parkway? That's fairly low profile, fits tall kids, and easily fits in the Foresters with room to spare, even all the way up. I do remember the lower ceiling was a reason for us ruling out the CRV, but I don't remember it being that short.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC