Question Best Jogging Style Stroller For Off-Road Use?

Wineaux

Looking at getting a jogging stroller for my wife's SIL for her baby shower. They are very active hikers and photographers, so we are looking for something that really will handle some off-road use, or at least steep mountain poorly paved trails, etc. Thinking a BOB or a Phil & Ted's, but which model for this type of use? Of course it needs a good basket, easy fold, lots of storage, a small footprint in the trunk (if possible) of a Honda Civic, and good steering and ride for normal use as well. If you know of a better stroller brand for this type of use, then by all means let me know!

If you happen to know of any awesome deals, then feel free to pass those along as well.

ADS

BananaBoat

We have a BOB Revolution & have never encountered terrain it couldn't handle. We will also be getting a P&T but with the understanding that it's not as tough. Friends who own the P&T get more flat tires & generally less off-road success with it.

I will say that the BOB basket isn't very deep, but it's enough room for a bit of stuff. I use it regularly to grocery shop & throw all the heavy stuff in the basket while hanging reusable bags on the handle for lighter items. We've used it on the beach (loose sand, not packed), gravel & dirt hikes & in the woods with no paths at all with no issues.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I would also say the bob revolution, as I am aSSuming you would want to get them something more maneuverable on straight/sidewalk terrain, too.

the baby jogger city series or the summit might fold better though.

arly1983

I am going to say BOB, too, on the all terrain. The Baby Jogger City Series has a smaller fold, more storage room overall, steering is really awesome off-road but just quite not as good as the BOB.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I have both the Baby Jogger City Series and a Bob Revolution and definately BOB. You can lock the front wheel and that's great, plus the back tires are larger. BOB has the best 5 pt harness system ever. Our Baby Jogger is our mall, occasional off road stroller. Folds smaller and doesn't take up so much space in my trunk.

BananaBoat

One point about shopping for the BOB - check out your local cycle shops for deals. We couldn't wait for the REI deals that happen 2x per year, but our local bike shop had it for $300 which was better than elsewhere we could find at the time.

DEFINITELY get the Revolution, though. I had a friend who made the mistake of getting the Sport Utility version that has a fixed wheel because she thought it would be better on trails...sent it right back after realizing that you can't turn the thing with a fixed wheel on normal terrain.

aeormsby

Definitely something that can lock the front wheel. Nothing like having the front wheel hit a groove and spin the wrong direction.

I know the Bobs are much nicer, but we never had a problem with our Instep Safari TT on any of our adventures or neighborhood walks.

poohbear

BOB Revolution all the way! Right now the 2010s are on sale because the 2011s are coming out. There are some "improvements" to the 2011s, but there is also a price hike, and the improvements are not super-substantial IMO (different fabric, though the current fabric is great if you go off-road because you can hose it off), car-seat attachment is easier to put on and off...

Singles are about $330 right now, but have been found as low as $289

I :love: my BOB! :)
And the resale on them is crazy high. On my CL they are always in the high $200s...

singingpond

Looking at getting a jogging stroller for my wife's SIL for her baby shower. They are very active hikers and photographers, so we are looking for something that really will handle some off-road use....
I know it's partly a matter of taste (some people just hate fixed wheel strollers as a matter of principle), but for serious off-roading, running, hiking, etc. a plain fixed front wheel is still way better than a locked pivoting wheel IMO. It's not hard to turn a well balanced jogging stroller by simply popping the front wheel off the ground a bit.

I have an older Kool Stride, which is very well balanced, light, sturdy, and easy to push (and easy to turn IMO). It's a pretty bare bones stroller, though (no nifty arched canopies or anything), and not quick to fold. I'm pretty sure they improved the fold in their newer models.

You really have to judge whether the recipients want a serious off-road stroller, or more of a jack-of-all-trades that will also handle occasional off-road use.

I also wanted to mention that the recommendation I've always seen (back when I used to frequent stroller forums) is that little ones shouldn't be in a jogging stroller, and especially not on bumpy terrain, until at least six months old. I'm just adding this comment since you mention a baby shower -- appropriate age of use is something you, or the new parents, may want to read up on.

msg221

I also think the BOB Revoultion would be great for what they want it for, but just know it doesn't have the smallest footprint folded up (although the wheels do come of very easily). Also, the basket isn't easily accessible (I had to put stuff in it from the side rather than the back). However, as far as handling it can't be beat and it does clean up easily.

lovinwaves

Another thing to consider is a Chariot which will give them multiple activity uses (biking, hiking, jogging, strolling, snow, etc...)

Deciding on a fixed wheel or not is something to consider with the BOB (which I also recommend as PP's are). A fixed wheel will be cheaper for you to buy. If they are going to be doing any jogging with it I would recommend the fixed wheel. If you think they are going to be using this for their everyday stroller like keeping it in the car for when they go shopping at the mall, and NOT buying another mall type stroller then I would get the BOB with the rotating wheel. But keep in mind that even though it rotates, they will still be able to jog with it and lock it forward.

I would absolutely not recommend a Phil & Ted's. That is a stroller with air tires, but not one I would take hiking, jogging/running with, or on serious terrain. It's not meant for that. The BOB is.

A Chariot with the hiking kit would look something like this:

images

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC