Best convertible for SMALL extended cab CANADA

canadianmom2three

Been a long time since I was on this site for my own kids, but I'm now a grandma to a sweet 9 month old little guy. We went to install the convertible in my son's truck this weekend and found that it specifically says it cannot be used in compact extended cab pick up trucks. Is this common? The truck used to be my DH and I recall using it with a few RF seats, most recently the RF radian. Although it was a PITA to get it to fit, I don't recall anything about it not being allowed. On the hunt for a new seat, ideally something extremely safe for RF in that small space with the window right there, and also because my son (baby dad) is a fairly new driver. Would be ideal if it is also extremely easy to use and my son will consider cool to use RF. This may sound vain, but he was so pleased about the look of the current seat, and doesn't like seats that look 'fussy' to use his words. We live in a small town in Canada, so we are kind of limited.... TIA!!! Oh - the truck is a 2001 Toyota Tundra, really small extended cab with the suicide-style doors, the baby is almost 10 months, and about 25 lbs.

ADS

1mommy

Does the truck have an airbag off switch? Not a sensor but an actual key off switch for the front passenger? My hubby had a 1998 Toyota Tacoma that had one and we ended up putting DS1 in the front passenger seat.

canadianmom2three

Yes, the passenger air bag can be keyed off. I guess I thought that should be the last option, was hoping for rear middle. Do you think the front passenger is safer because it is away from the rear window (which just seems so big and right there in the RF baby's face!)? Also, DS also often drives with a passenger (which is often me or DH), so I would think it would be kind of limiting that way because the rear seat is basically un-usable for adults it's so tiny back there!!

I also noticed the seat in question is one you have - the True Fit Premier - love this seat otherwise!!

Keeanh

The smallest RF seat is probably the Scenera Next from Walmart. You may have to order it online, but you should be able to return in store if it doesn't work (I would double-check that, though!). It will last to 40lbs / 40". The Graco Contender from Canadian Tire is fairly compact too. But I would try the NEXT first.

1mommy

Most seats forbid being installed on a flip down seat, the type that a lot of small trucks have (and that our truck had) so be sure to read the manual. It was a bit uncomfortable sitting in the back but we avoided it unless for short trip, but it was also nice in a way being able to look directly at the baby. And my hubby found that in order for him to look out the passenger side mirror we had to have a low profile seat like the Guide 65 or the scenera next. Could your DS uninstall when having passengers and not the baby, and then reinstall afterwords? I don't know how often your DS would need to transport your grandson or other people. I found this article by a car seat expert from Sweden (the country has the leading safety record for children in cars) which helped ease my mind about putting my son up front. The guy that wrote the website is actually a member here too. http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/position-in-vehicle/front-seat-safety/

Last edited:

Keeanh

The Tundra with suicide doors still has a real back seat, AFAIK. It's not like the Tacoma. We had a 3-door F150 and had several RF seats in it.

I loved having my kids RF in the front seat of our old airbag-less Protege. I have no qualms about RF kids in the front seat. But I don't feel good about putting an RF seat in front of an airbag, even if it's keyed off. The airbag is still there and you're still trusting a switch to keep it from going off.

OP, is this what the seat looks like?

tundra_rear_seat_lg.jpg

canadianmom2three

The Tundra with suicide doors still has a real back seat, AFAIK. It's not like the Tacoma. We had a 3-door F150 and had several RF seats in it.

I loved having my kids RF in the front seat of our old airbag-less Protege. I have no qualms about RF kids in the front seat. But I don't feel good about putting an RF seat in front of an airbag, even if it's keyed off. The airbag is still there and you're still trusting a switch to keep it from going off.

OP, is this what the seat looks like?

tundra_rear_seat_lg.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Roughly but narrower and the belts are forward of the seat bight as well :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC