Best choice among bad choices?

Kobain's Mommy

On lap both in cab of tow truck. I've seen cars slide or fall off flatbed tow. And I'm pretty sure its illegal to ride in a truck being towed in either on a flatbed or lift truck.

ADS

Athena

Tow truck guy #2 would be welcome to sit in my vehicle on the back of his tow truck, while my child and I sit in the cab with the driver.

I like this answer! If it's safe enough for myself and my child ... I hope I'm never in this situation.

jjordan

Number one answer, call a cab (or another tow company... When I've had to call for assistance they either make sure they have enough belts for everyone, or they don't transport people and wait with you until a ride arrives, and offer to call you a cab if needed).

If for some reason that's not an option (no cab service?) we would ride in the towed vehicle, properly restrained.

No cab service, and I'd already been told by AAA that this was the only available tow company after calling them to find out why I had been waiting so long. (It was 3 full hours from my first call until the tow truck arrived.)

BIL hit a deer with the whole family (5 total, and their camper) which made the truck undriveable. They were in the middle of nowhere. Tow truck driver called his wife to collect my sister and the kids.

Aw, that's nice. :)

I'm curious as to what really happened :p

We did end up riding in the towed vehicle, 3 year old in a RF convertible and me buckled into the captain's chair next to her. I find it interesting that the responses are split - and I'm glad to see that at least some are saying they would do what I did!

As for the legality of it, I think both the lap rider and riding in a towed vehicle are probably illegal (although perhaps the law has exceptions for certain circumstances?). Regardless, if I'm trying to decide between two bad choices, I'm going to base my decision on what I think is safer rather than on what is legal/illegal.

jjordan

Tow truck guy #2 would be welcome to sit in my vehicle on the back of his tow truck, while my child and I sit in the cab with the driver.

As for this one - I thought about this, but why would tow truck guy #2 have any reason to do this when *his* options are between this and riding properly restrained in the cab? I didn't ask, though, I suppose there is a chance he would be okay with it.

thepote

I've never even heard of being able to ride in the towed car (maybe it's illegal here?), usually people just pile in the tow truck.

littleangelfire

As for the legality of it, I think both the lap rider and riding in a towed vehicle are probably illegal (although perhaps the law has exceptions for certain circumstances?). Regardless, if I'm trying to decide between two bad choices, I'm going to base my decision on what I think is safer rather than on what is legal/illegal.

My exact thoughts

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC