Becoming a CPST? Insurance ???

MommyO

Any CPST's out there that provide inspection services that are NOT affiliated with a hospital/Emergency Service/Safe Kids type organization?

I'm looking into a career change and trying to build a business plan for becoming a Baby Planner/Concierge. I've wanted to be a certified tech for several years, but haven't had the opportunity. I was thinking that as a Baby Planner this could be a service I offer, however, I'm not sure how insurance/liability would work in a situation like this.

I'd love feedback from any techs who are in a similar situation or offer inspections privately. How do you handle liability? Do you have people sign a waiver? Special insurance? Other?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Most of us who are insured use HPSO. Apply as a health educator. I opted for the public speaking addendum, and the total was about $150/year.

Use a check form. There's one similar to the Safe Kids one, but without any organization logos floating around. That way you document everything. Some private techs also use waivers.

Also, have the caregivers be the last one to install the seat and buckle the child. It's a teaching tool in addition to lessening liability.

MommyO

Most of us who are insured use HPSO. Apply as a health educator. I opted for the public speaking addendum, and the total was about $150/year.

Use a check form. There's one similar to the Safe Kids one, but without any organization logos floating around. That way you document everything. Some private techs also use waivers.

Also, have the caregivers be the last one to install the seat and buckle the child. It's a teaching tool in addition to lessening liability.

Thanks so much. I knew there had to be something out there, but didn't know where to begin looking. I really appreciate the tips!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yep -- there are more detailed instructions in the tech forum, which you'll get access to as soon as you become a tech (well, you have to do a few clicks here on the board but there's no 'waiting period' or anything.)

I wanted to do a few comparison quotes but HPSO was the only place I could locate that insured techs. It's not a difficult process at all, basically send in a form and then follow up with them. I don't have a public speaking addendum (I didn't know there was such a thing!) so I am insured as part-time self-employed. My rate was right around $100 for the year, IMO a small price to pay for the peace of mind. They do have a lower rate for those who only volunteer, never make money, but it sounds like you'll want an employed or self-employed rate.

There are a handful of us who provide exclusively private check services, but be aware that it is a difficult market to crack (mostly because, uh, there isn't an established market, and what services are available in are available for free in most areas) and it will be very slow going at first. Even those who do a lot of checks aren't becoming millionaires off of it. Also, although it's my opinion that c-s.o "new techs" have a significant leg up on off the street "new techs," I think everyone would recommend getting some experience under your belt before you attempt to launch into private checks, let alone paid ones.

As Crunchy said, document, document, document. I use a check sheet that has a generic waiver, but I am also going to get a lawyer to draw me one up that names me specifically as well as the locale where I'm doing the check. It doesn't change the fact that anyone can sue for anything, but it does act as a deterrent and between the waiver and the insurance (as well as giving out solid advice) I feel pretty comfortable that I'm reasonably well protected.

MommyO

Yep -- there are more detailed instructions in the tech forum, which you'll get access to as soon as you become a tech (well, you have to do a few clicks here on the board but there's no 'waiting period' or anything.)

I wanted to do a few comparison quotes but HPSO was the only place I could locate that insured techs. It's not a difficult process at all, basically send in a form and then follow up with them. I don't have a public speaking addendum (I didn't know there was such a thing!) so I am insured as part-time self-employed. My rate was right around $100 for the year, IMO a small price to pay for the peace of mind. They do have a lower rate for those who only volunteer, never make money, but it sounds like you'll want an employed or self-employed rate.

There are a handful of us who provide exclusively private check services, but be aware that it is a difficult market to crack (mostly because, uh, there isn't an established market, and what services are available in are available for free in most areas) and it will be very slow going at first. Even those who do a lot of checks aren't becoming millionaires off of it. Also, although it's my opinion that c-s.o "new techs" have a significant leg up on off the street "new techs," I think everyone would recommend getting some experience under your belt before you attempt to launch into private checks, let alone paid ones.

As Crunchy said, document, document, document. I use a check sheet that has a generic waiver, but I am also going to get a lawyer to draw me one up that names me specifically as well as the locale where I'm doing the check. It doesn't change the fact that anyone can sue for anything, but it does act as a deterrent and between the waiver and the insurance (as well as giving out solid advice) I feel pretty comfortable that I'm reasonably well protected.

Thanks for the additional advice/info. I really appreciate the info about the insurance.

It is not my intention to solely do & charge for carseat checks. It would be one of a range of services I would provide. Frankly, I see myself doing more checks on a volunteer basis with a local hospital who doesn't have a tech. I'd also agree that getting the experience is critical. Since my (future) business is Baby Planner/Concierge, offering a carseat check could be one of the services I could (& would like to) provide. Right now I'm in the planning/researching phase to see if this whole thing can work out. Hence the questions about liability & insurance.

If I thought I could make a living only doing carseat checks, I'd have gotten certified and hung my shingle out 2 years ago! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC