Aton 2 (issue with base, harness)

bnsnyde

Sorry another post on the seat but I'm perplexed.
I put the seat in the base. The safety button did not pop. (The child was not in it). Anyway, part of the harness strap underneath had gotten caught in the sharp clicker parts on the base! There is the beginning of a small hole in the fabric and I don't think I'm comfortable with that.
I'm worried it could happen again. It was such a quick, freak thing.
Sigh.

ADS

3 ladybugs

What do you mean by a "small hole in the fabric"? I have been following this thread wondering about resolution and I am sad not to see anything.

Are you talking about the strap webbing?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The base caused a small hole in the harness webbing? Yikes. I'd be interested in seeing a photo if you have time. (It's not like you're busy with your children or anything! :p) Definitely call Cybex and see what they say. I also might be tempted to report it to NHTSA... someone less educated, who does that repeatedly, could have a mighty big rip in the webbing and that could have devastating consequences.

I would use something else for the newbie in the meantime, if you have something available.

bnsnyde

It's not a hole but it almost is, plus some fraying on the side. Could be minor, but I did contact the company and will get a response soon. Baby actually has no need to go anywhere anytime soon, so that's good.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 82

katymyers

It's not a hole but it almost is, plus some fraying on the side. Could be minor, but I did contact the company and will get a response soon. Baby actually has no need to go anywhere anytime soon, so that's good.

Here is a pic.

:eek: that could potentially get bad if it happened repeatedly, I would maybe contact NHTSA too just to make sure this doesn't end up being an issue.

CYBEX USA-2

Dear bnsnyde,
Thank you for reporting this situation to us. I know you contacted Customer Care about this and they will be contacting you shortly to replace your seat due to the compromised strap.

However, I wanted to clarify here that this did happen with no child, and therefore loose straps which introduced quite a bit of slack into the system underneath. Using the seat without a child, and properly tightened straps is not a typical use.

Best regards,

Mercuria

I respectfully disagree. This is a typical scenario when you're testing the installation of a base.

Also, there was a long time where I'd take our infant seat out to the car, snap it in the base, and then bring baby out later. We kept the seat inside the house to keep it at a comfortable and safe temperature, but we had stopped carrying him in it most of the time (especially when I was alone, since I could barely handle carrying him in it when he was a newborn). Based on discussions on this board, I know I am not alone.

cupcakepirate11

I respectfully disagree. This is a typical scenario when you're testing the installation of a base.

Also, there was a long time where I'd take our infant seat out to the car, snap it in the base, and then bring baby out later. We kept the seat inside the house to keep it at a comfortable and safe temperature, but we had stopped carrying him in it most of the time (especially when I was alone, since I could barely handle carrying him in it when he was a newborn). Based on discussions on this board, I know I am not alone.

Cybex has a point, the harness strap got stuck on the base with my Chico seat when I was testing it. You cant fault the company for leaving straps loose.

Last edited:

bnsnyde

I absolutely agree that with a child it in and tight straps, nothing would snag.

There are just so many times when the seat goes into the base without a child (setting it up before baby came home from hospital, putting empty seat back into car if baby isn't present but just exited the seat, etc.) And straps would not necessarily be tight but ready for baby to enter seat again.

Thanks for your response and helping with my issue! :)

And, I LOVE this seat and would choose it again. Glad I waited for it to hit the market!

Last edited:

Mercuria

Cybex has a point, the harness strap got stuck on the base with my Chico seat when I was testing it. You cant fault the company for leaving straps loose.

I was just asking that they not consider an empty seat going into the base as an atypical situation. As far as I'm concerned, what happened to the harness was a freak accident, since I imagine most seats will go through that at least once in each child's use period (even if the straps are tight for installation, and you never put the seat into the base without the baby, would you remember to tighten the straps before clicking into the base to store it between babies?) and this is the first I've heard of this problem. I know that the Aton 2 is a new seat here, but since the blog mentioned that the Aton is compatible with the Aton 2 base, I'm going to view no Aton harness holes as a positive sign for the Aton 2.

And, for the record, I wouldn't let this deter me from getting an Aton 2 if I were in the market for an infant bucket. It sounds like they handled the situation gracefully, and I don't get the feeling that they'd handle this turning into a widespread problem the way Graco's handling the stuck buckle situation. I'm also hoping that we won't get to find out if they do ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC