Question At what age to give up...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter is 10y9m, 4'11.5", and 95ish#. I very recently took her out of her boosters, because in our vehicles, the belt fit is much worse with boosters than without. If the belts fit properly, she would still be boostered, because the booster arms act as artificial hips and help hold the seatbelt down, which is a big plus for prepubescent kids (hipbones harden and sharpen during puberty).

ADS

mybabybean

For no seat at all, not even a booster, 4'9" for sure
My step daughter was almost 11 before that happened!! I had made her a deal, 4'9" or when she went to middle school. It was the april before she went to middle school in august!!

skaterbabs

At my house, 12.

Not only do they have to pass the Five Step Test, but they also have to have the skeletal structure of an adult, because the iliac crest is still soft enough before puberty that in a crash the hips can deform and the child can submarine under the seat belt.

MomToEliEm

My daughter was around 4'10" and 10 years old when she stopped using a booster. She first dropped the booster in the truck as her head was getting too close to the truck ceiling when she sat in the booster and she fit just fine in just the seatbelt. After about 6 months, I took the booster out of my car as she seemed to fit well without it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
At my house, 12.

Not only do they have to pass the Five Step Test, but they also have to have the skeletal structure of an adult, because the iliac crest is still soft enough before puberty that in a crash the hips can deform and the child can submarine under the seat belt.

My nearly 11yo is 5'2" and the others have been 5'4" and up at 12. One of my nephews was 5'8". I envy you your boosterable kids.

kam1011

4 and 40 is the "rule" to move into a booster (and best practice dictates further...) NOT to get out of a booster. Five-stepping aside, the law in my state is 8 and 80 to get out of a booster. So as an absolute minimum, I expect to see your average kid around me in a booster seat until 2nd grade. Of course, the "right" answer is "when they five-step." :wink:

skaterbabs

My nearly 11yo is 5'2" and the others have been 5'4" and up at 12. One of my nephews was 5'8". I envy you your boosterable kids.

The boys were probably 5 ft 2 or so; Joy will be taller, I think. She's as tall at 9 as CJ was at 11. At 16 he's barely 5 ft 8. Plus, the boys were in the original Parkways until they outgrew them, and Joy is in an original Frontier in my car and LBBs in other people's cars. Since my cars are old enough not to have head support for the rear seats, we probably booster longer than if I drove modern sedans with headrests for the rear seating positions.

Athena

At my house, 12.

I want to do that. But aren't a lot of girls too tall to fit by then? I wonder if I'll have that option.

jacqui276

I want to do that. But aren't a lot of girls too tall to fit by then? I wonder if I'll have that option.

I was 5'6" and ~130lbs at age 11/12 so would not have fit in a booster. Then again, puberty hit before age 12 as well. I think that it is entirely kid-dependent but age 12 would be ideal.

jacqui276

Lol well I am 5'2.5" and that. 5" is important. I had a friend in highschool right at 5' who used a kitchen chair style cushion to drive :eek:

My grandma is 4'9" on a good day and back when she drove (thank goodness she no longer does!) she sat on a phone book with a cushion on top. :eek:

Phineasmama

Wow!! Some tall ladies here!

I was 5'1" at age 11, and around 100 lbs I THINK. I know I was wearing like a size 0 thought.

MommyShannon

I'm 5'3" and didn't hit 100lbs until college. I had an Air Force scholarship and HAD to be 100lbs for my minimum weight or risk losing my scholarship. I don't have that problem now... I Wong know how to feel when my kids stop needing seats/boosters. It feels like my van is nothing but carseats now. I think my van would fall apart if I undid all the straps and belts and tethers.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC