Question Are there any infant buckets that will fit a 3.5 pound preemie?

stephpook

A friend of mine had her baby about a week and a half ago. She was a 32-weeker and just over 3 pounds at birth. The baby will hopefully be home around New Years and is expected to be about 3.5 pounds. Are there any infant buckets that will fit a preemie of that size or would they have to use something like a car bed coming home from the hospital?

In general, what infant buckets fit a preemie well?

Thanks!

ADS

a09

My preemie did great in a chicco keyfit i think it starts at four pounds though. If the baby was born a week and a half ago at 3 pounds it should be at least four by new years.

stephpook

If the baby was born a week and a half ago at 3 pounds it should be at least four by new years.

I thought so too but she's just now back up to her birth weight and mom has just started feeding at the breast - which is a new experience for both of them - hence the thought that she may not gain very fast between now and then.

EmmaGrace'sMom

I would think the Chaperone with the foam insert would be a good fit. I don't think it's rated that low, but I think the foam would make the fit work and help keep a tiny ones air passages open.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I'm not special needs certified or anything, so I could be wrong, but my gut reaction is that I would use a car bed to get home from the hospital. The hospital may have them available to rent or loan. I doubt I'd be taking a baby that small out to the grocery store or to church anyway, and I'd be comfortable using a car bed for that short period of time for trips to the doctor or whatever. If they have an infant seat that is rated to 4 lbs, I'd stick with that and use it when baby was big enough, and if I were going to buy a car seat now, I'd buy one that's rated to 4 lbs unless I wanted a CCO anyway - in which case I'd get that and go ahead and use it for the ride home also.

I know the Shuttle has no lower limit and I know it's allowed to be used even if the baby's shoulders are below the straps, but I'd be more comfortable with a car bed than with using a seat with the straps significantly above the shoulders. So unless the baby fit the seat well, it wouldn't be my first choice.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A car bed is really a last resort for a baby who can't be in a more upright position. If the baby passes the angle tolerance test, there's really no need for one.

I would try the Shuttle or Coccoro. If those didn't work, I, as a parent, would use a seat that fit the child well, even if the child was slightly under the minimum weight limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the choices were car bed, Shuttle with straps above shoulders, or Chaperone below the stated minimum, I'd pick one of the latter two.

Combi will provide a letter stating in writing that the straps may be above the shoulders if fit is otherwise good, and providing additional guidance. They also make the Navette, an institutional seat I hear fits smalls even better than the Shuttle, same deal (from birth, will provide letter.) Contact Vera Fullaway for the letter, she should also be able to tell you if there's anywhere you can get the Navette directly.

a09

stephpook said:
I thought so too but she's just now back up to her birth weight and mom has just started feeding at the breast - which is a new experience for both of them - hence the thought that she may not gain very fast between now and then.

If shes in the nicu she will be fed supplemental (whether breast milk or formula) by the bottle or tube so she will continue to gain. I am not a tech but can tell you what our nicu recommends. The keyfit and shuttle seem to support better and not scrunch the babies causing reflux and apnea spells. We do not send babies home in a bed unless a last resort aka are well past ready to go home but have failed their car seat test several times.

henrietta

If shes in the nicu she will be fed supplemental (whether breast milk or formula) by the bottle or tube so she will continue to gain. I am not a tech but can tell you what our nicu recommends. The keyfit and shuttle seem to support better and not scrunch the babies causing reflux and apnea spells. We do not send babies home in a bed unless a last resort aka are well past ready to go home but have failed their car seat test several times.

FYI, that's not always true about being fed "supplemental". It totally depends on the baby and the situation, even for a 32 weeker. It's probably necessary while she's in NICU for her to be fed via a cup, bottle, or tube sometimes, b/c mommy may not be able to be available for feedings 24/7 while she's in the hospital, but that's not always true, at least not 100% of the time. And even so, she may NOT gain that well, no matter what she's fed. Again, depends on the baby and whatever struggles she encounters.

henrietta
(mom of 2 preemies...)

henrietta

I'm not special needs certified or anything, so I could be wrong, but my gut reaction is that I would use a car bed to get home from the hospital. The hospital may have them available to rent or loan. I doubt I'd be taking a baby that small out to the grocery store or to church anyway, and I'd be comfortable using a car bed for that short period of time for trips to the doctor or whatever. If they have an infant seat that is rated to 4 lbs, I'd stick with that and use it when baby was big enough, and if I were going to buy a car seat now, I'd buy one that's rated to 4 lbs unless I wanted a CCO anyway - in which case I'd get that and go ahead and use it for the ride home also.

I know the Shuttle has no lower limit and I know it's allowed to be used even if the baby's shoulders are below the straps, but I'd be more comfortable with a car bed than with using a seat with the straps significantly above the shoulders. So unless the baby fit the seat well, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Nope, no preemie parent in their right mind should be taking a 32 weeker out during flu season to the grocery store and regular such places very often at all when they first come home...BUT a car bed is generally only recommend for medically fragile babies who aren't just small, but have serious problems (like special feeding tubes, heart problems, etc). The average preemie who's healthy enough to go home just as soon as they can maintain their body temp, feed well, and keep breathing (even if they need an apnea monitor) isn't going home in a car bed. A properly fitted carseat is much, much safer than a car bed.

My first baby came home at 4 lbs 0.1 oz! Just as soon as he went over 4 lbs (he already could maintain his temp in an open bed and feed well at the breast w/me using a nipple shield and at the bottle). He did have an apnea monitor for 6 mos. But aside from 2 incidents in the car, he did fine in the infant car seat (that's what the apnea monitor was for!) :)

henrietta

a09

henrietta said:
FYI, that's not always true about being fed "supplemental". It totally depends on the baby and the situation, even for a 32 weeker. It's probably necessary while she's in NICU for her to be fed via a cup, bottle, or tube sometimes, b/c mommy may not be able to be available for feedings 24/7 while she's in the hospital, but that's not always true, at least not 100% of the time. And even so, she may NOT gain that well, no matter what she's fed. Again, depends on the baby and whatever struggles she encounters.

henrietta
(mom of 2 preemies...)

Sorry i meant she will be fed supplemental in nicu if she is loosing weight or not ever gaining weight. Some do just fine without it depends on the situation. Most babies alternate for a bit or get what they cant finish by mouth in the alloted time ran through a tube. The point though she will probably be fine in an infant seat by discharge rather than a bed if she is coming home that quickly.

(extreme preemie mom and nicu nurse)

Last edited:

cookie123

In our unit, a 32 weeker will be given a tentative release date of 36 weeks, so 1 month from birth day. There would be supplemental feedings to breastfeeding with a nasogastric tube. The baby would likely be close to 5 lbs at this point.

The Chicco Keyfit, the Safety First OnBoard Air/ On Board with 4 lb minimum would both work, if that is the case. Is the newer Graco Snugride 35 with the 4 lbs minimum out yet?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlmatthews

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC