Question Are Canada's CPS standards better now?

thepote

Are Canada's CPS standards better than the US now?

I keep wondering this because there are seats you can't use in Canada because they don't have anti-rebound, etc.

If the answer is yes, to truly follow best practices in the car should we only use seats that can be used in Canada?

Last edited:
ADS

tiggercat

That's a big question.

Our standards are different in some ways, perhaps better, perhaps more restrictive.

Some American seats don't meet CMVSS without extensive modifications (some don't at all), while other manufacturers simply aren't willing to spend the money to bring seats to Canada because the financial return isn't enough.

More later. Sorry, 3yo had to pee.

So at the same time, our standards are more restrictive. You MUST use a tether anchor forward facing, no exceptions. Rearfacing limits are usually lower, even on the same model, so ERF is harder and more expensive. Kids are turned earlier due to lack of affordable options. Seats are more expensive, some by a lot. If you have a 65lb 2yo, you're screwed because our harnesses max out at 65lb. Does that make them safer? It really depends on your point of view.

I think you have to be careful about making decisions based on other countries rules. Sure you are going to be influenced somewhat (RF to 5 them booster like the swedes, perhaps), but I don't think limiting yourself to carseats only available in multiple countries is a particularly effective or efficient way to increase your child's safety. Does that make sense? My brain is not quite functioning on all cylinders tonight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

thepote

Did they do testing that the US doesn't do to come up with the new standards? Like, has Canada established a body of research that the US doesn't have, or is the US seeing the same data, but coming to different conclusions (or ignoring the data)?

tiggercat

Did they do testing that the US doesn't do to come up with the new standards? Like, has Canada established a body of research that the US doesn't have, or is the US seeing the same data, but coming to different conclusions (or ignoring the data)?

Transport Canada does continuous research testing (some is available on their website), which I am sure influence changes to our regulations. We also just had a big revision in 2012. I honestly don't know much about US research and testing.

Obviously the USA knows that top tethers increase FF children's safety. They have chosen not to legislate it for whatever reason.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC