Anyone want to talk to me about the oobr??

lmiranda8681

So I'm a little bummed right now, I just ordered 2 of these for my 7 and 5 year old(5 year old is still in a harness but starting to booster train and doing fabulous). Anyway, I read a thread about it being dangerous to use these seats without latch because of how heavy they are? I was planning on using them in the 3rd row of my 09 caravan, so no latch available(except for the one odd placement in the middle of 2 seats). I thought latch with boosters was optional, but I definitely don't want to put anyone at any possible risk. Also, I just realized that the cover is not removable :( Hopefully no one ever gets sick or has an accident. Someone tell me some positive things about the seat, lol. I was going to get the vivo but this was kind of an impulsive purchase

ADS

Clek CPST

The seat cushion and cover are removable and can be washed. The cover on the backrest and headrest cannot be removed, but can be spot cleaned.

I've found with my kids that it's not the back of their seats that get dirty, it's under their bum where crumbs drop.

As for the concern about weight with an unlatched booster, that is something that has been around to boards here for years based partially on a European rule and partially on rumour.

There are benefits to the rigid LATCH system such as the ability to recline the booster and not needing to buckle it in to the vehicle when empty, but the Oobr is safe and approved for use without using the Rigid LATCH system.

jubgulia

Hi! My 7 and 5 year old boys use Oobrs every day in the 3rd row of our '06 Sienna. One is fully latched in and the other is latched on one side. I went back and forth on the latching for a while and ultimately decided to keep it partially latched. I have on occasion needed to put the Coccoro between the Oobrs in the back row and do need to unlatch them in that case, but I personally feel fine with it.

As far as cleaning, they have been super easy (we have dragonfly and milk and cookies). I've wiped them down with a wet cloth for normal grime. My oldest had some car sickness a few times and we wiped the sides down with wet paper towels and rinsed the seat bottom cover in the gas station bathroom sink with a bead of hand soap. I never needed to rewash it later (you can machine wash that part) because you never would have been able to tell there was anything on it. The rest of the car upholstery and carpet was another matter. I have either wiped with a wet towel or machine washed the seat cover for pee accidents. All that and the covers still look like new.

Hope that improves your outlook a little. :)

gsdguenter

I wouldn't say it's dangerous to use unLATCHed, just that I lastly prefer LATCHing it than not.

It's a great seat. I wouldn't worry :)

firemomof3

I wouldn't say it's dangerous to use unLATCHed, just that I lastly prefer LATCHing it than not.

It's a great seat. I wouldn't worry :)

:yeahthatlove:
I keep our Oobr in dh's truck and its always latched. The Oobr has been one of the few seats I've actually kept for longer then a year :eek: All my kids love the Oobr and my dd1 has just outgrown it which was heartbreaking. You'll love yours :thumbsup:

lmiranda8681

phew! thanks guys. It will be here tomorrow! I bought a safety surround booster tonight to use for tomorrow. The belt guide works much better in my 3rd row than the parkway, but overall I'm not a huge fan of the seat. The seat belt gets all twisted and weird in the parkway, so I'm hopping the oobr works better. I'm returning the graco booster tomorrow night, lol

Last edited:

VoodooChile

My dd loved her Oobr and we only stopped using it b/c she was ready to go backless. She never complained about lack of leg support until she used the Cruz in my mom's car and said it held her legs better. Now she has a Santa Fe in my car and complains it's harder on her rear end than the Oobr, so I guess there is no pleasing her :p I never used it unlatched, but the only place I needed to use it had LATCH, so it wasn't an issue. And I was really surprised at how easily it cleaned up--dd got chocolate on it at one point and it wiped off with a baby wipe.
It's really an awesome seat that worked well for us. We've got it stored for ds now.

phew! thanks guys. It will be here tomorrow! I bought a safety surround booster tonight to use for tomorrow. The belt guide works much better in my 3rd row than the parkway, but overall I'm not a huge fan of the seat. The seat belt gets all twisted and weird in the parkway, so I'm hopping the oobr works better. I'm returning the graco booster tomorrow night, lol

Cute kiddos!

I would put the Turbobooster up one click, it will move the shoulder belt more toward the center of his collarbone :)

bnsnyde

We have an Oobr for the 6-year-old. It's latched but it's in a captain's chair. Luckily no spills or anything yet, but we don't eat or drink in the car. The fabric is really nice on this seat and seems like it would clean very well.

Is there a way it would get buckled back in as child exits third row, if there is no latch? That might be tricky?

We also have the Vivo and we use it if he goes in a friend's car. It's very light!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we HATED ours. It was only used a few times because both of my girls hated it. Plus the LATCH clips were very, very hard to undo (but I bought it used from here, so it could have been due to that, I'm not sure). I gave it to a tech friend.

Meg

Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but we HATED ours. It was only used a few times because both of my girls hated it. Plus the LATCH clips were very, very hard to undo.

:yeahthat: the seat was impossible to sell too, so now it's just a really expensive spare seat that I use every once in awhile when carpooling.

lmiranda8681

I only used it once so far, I really didn't think it was all that heavy, maybe because from everything I heard I was picturing it weighing as much as a radian or something, lol. I have the latch connectors in between the seat in the 3rd row and have only tried it with my 7 year old so far. He really likes it! I might play musical car seats later and try it in the captains seat latched.

Last edited:
I only used it once so far, I really didn't think it was all that heavy, maybe because from everything I heard I was picturing it weighing as much as a radian or something, lol. I have the latch in between the seat in the 3rd row and have only tried it with my 7 year old so far. He really likes it! I might play musical car seats later and try it in the captains seat latched.

Glad he likes it!! Let us know how it works for you over the next few rides :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC