Question Anyone have a Pontiac Grand Am?

mamakaimon

Anyone have a Pontiac Grand Am? **Added Pics of the install!

We have a 2003.

DD is rf in an AOE (old 30lb rf limit version) and DS in a Peg Perego Prima Viaggio SIP (2007 I think)

We need to get DS a new seat soon, and I'd like to talk DH into getting DD one too.

We have A LOT of trouble getting seats to install in our car. The recline is awful, It's difficult to get them tight enough. Esp the AOE. So I'm hoping for seat recommendations from people who have had experience with our car please!!

Thank you!!

Last edited:
ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I did a Frontier install in a Grand Am--not sure what year, but it had LATCH.. I'm thinking that the Marathon would fit for something rear-facing, since it fits in just about anything, but you'd obviously want to try before you buy. It may over-recline, because of that weird seat design. If it doesn't, it shouldn't tip since the base is small enough to fit on that weird "pad".

-Nicole.

dogmelissa

We have a '94 Grand Am and I don't hate it.

We were able to install our Radian in the centre (seatbelt) with actually slightly too much recline (46*) and it was actually easier than the Evenflo bucket to install. It does have limited legroom for the passenger if installed outboard; the bucket took up more and I was still able to sit in the front (5'4"), but FH wasn't (5'9"). I'm fairly sure that a decreased recline would free up more front passenger space.

I don't foresee a problem should we want to decrease the recline nor when we turn it FF - though in all honesty I doubt we'll still have this vehicle when that happens, not because of the car seat(s) but because its not big enough to even get my jogging stroller in the trunk and we're planning on having another child and no way will a double stroller fit in there!!

Does that help? I know mine is older, but I totally understand the 'its all we have' argument. Good luck,
Melissa

Pixels

I have a 99, which is the same body style as your 05. The 98 was a previous generation. They kept the same style from 99 (pre-LATCH) through the end of the Grand Am, so it must be the same as the one QuasEE did.

I don't have experience installing your specific seats in this vehicle, but I have installed a few seats. The seats are sloped, and a RFing seat often requires a pool noodle. Depending on the seat, sometimes I can skip the noodle by thinking about pushing the lip of the seat (near baby's feet, where it makes contact with the vehicle seat back) back into the seatback.

My favorite part of that vehicle are the lightweight locking latchplates on the outboard seats. Just buckle, tighten, and done. No messing around with locking clips, and no switching the retractors. (Unless, of course, they changed that between 1999 and 2005.

I've installed a Radian, Graco ComfortSport, TrueFit, and an infant seat in that car. Not simultaneously, of course. Theh Radian doesn't use pool noodles (ever, in any vehicle, not allowed). The ComfortSport could go either way. The TrueFit and infant seat need noodles. You can see that it really does depend on the seat.

babycat124

We have a two door 2004 pontiac grand am. I know it has the latchs but I haven't really had two much trouble installing.
The britax boulavard installed really well, and the graco cozy cline I have had a little bit of trouble.

vonfirmath

I did a Frontier install in a Grand Am--not sure what year, but it had LATCH.. I'm thinking that the Marathon would fit for something rear-facing, since it fits in just about anything, but you'd obviously want to try before you buy. It may over-recline, because of that weird seat design. If it doesn't, it shouldn't tip since the base is small enough to fit on that weird "pad".

-Nicole.

We have a ROundabout50 RFing in our 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. Never had a problem.

I didn't even notice that Grand Ams had problems so now I'm concerned!

(And I hate my Grand Am for visibility and other reasons)

Mae

I have a four door '04 Grand Am and actually, I love it for car seats. If I could, I would forever keep this car. I've never had a car seat that literally wouldn't install. It may take an install or two to figure out how to do it, but once I know the tricks, it's perfect.

I've installed...

- True Fit
- Safe Seat 1 base/no base
- Alpha Omega
- Radian
- Nautilus
- Symphony
- Scenera
- Britax Chaperone
- Chicco Keyfit base/no base

I definately agree, the Alpha Omega is horrid when installing outboard RFing, I couldn't get it tight enough. I admit, I didn't try too hard though. Are you using LATCH or the seatbelt? I could possibly try to see if I can find any tricks for it. Since I always had that seat in the center, I really didn't have a need to find any tricks for the outboard position.

The majority of the other seats worked in seconds. Like Pixels said, you just buckle and pull tight. Most of the time, I do have to twist the seat buckle down. Remember that you can twist the buckle a total of three full twists.

ETA: The radian installs in seconds RF outboard (to use the RFing tether, it has to go behind passenger) via LATCH. Rock solid, too. The only problem is that there isn't much foot room for the passenger if you use the tether. I can get the Radian about 33 degrees upright. If you'd like, I can take pictures of passenger room and such tomorrow with the Radian. I have it installed right now.

mamakaimon

Thank you all for the replies!

The AOE we install using the seat belt. No matter how hard we pull it just does not get tight enough with the latch. We have two towels under it - just to get it to a 30 degree recline. I can't even imagine what it would take to get it to a 45 degree angle. Trust me we tried everything. With the base, without the base, latch, belt, etc.

DH is really not into getting DD a new seat. He really wants us to wait a bit, since her seat is still good. I just don't like it. So I'll live with it for a bit more and try talking to him again later.

NannyMae - it's good to hear something positive. I wonder if there's a big difference in the seats between the 2003 and the 2004.

I've gone ahead and ordered the True Fit. DH didn't want me to spend a lot of money (another reason why he didn't want me buying two seats). The True Fit was on sale through BRU so I got that one. Although now I'm reading that it's hard to tighten the harness rear facing so I'm nervous.

I considered the complete air for the 40lb RF limit. But I read that it's hard to install and similar to the AOE in that respect so I didn't want to get a seat I might hate!

I considered the Radian as well but it's quite a bit more than the True Fit so the TF won out. It should get here next week so I very well may be back for installation advice!!

Pixels

The TrueFit isn't too difficult to tighten/loosen RFing in the Grand Am. The shape of the seats plays nice with the TF.

Mae

NannyMae - it's good to hear something positive. I wonder if there's a big difference in the seats between the 2003 and the 2004.

For what it's worth, this is my backseat:

bab7db83.jpg

I have a True Fit, but I can't recall if I've ever installed it (RF) outboard. I've always had that one RF in the center, but I do know that it works FF outboard, lol.

If you have any trouble with installing it, let me know and I can try it too. :)

mamakaimon

For what it's worth, this is my backseat:

bab7db83.jpg

I have a True Fit, but I can't recall if I've ever installed it (RF) outboard. I've always had that one RF in the center, but I do know that it works FF outboard, lol.

If you have any trouble with installing it, let me know and I can try it too. :)

Looks like mine! (Only much cleaner! :eek: mine needs a vacuuming!)

Thanks! I'm excited for it to get here!

vonfirmath

Wow. I wouldn't take a picture of my backseat right now. I just couldn't. In fact, I need to clean it out preparatory for taking a "Last RFing ride" picture at the end of the month.

mamakaimon

If it stops raining I'll be installing today!

I vaccuumed the car and reinstalled DDs seat.. and then it started raining on me :crying: so I'll wait to figure out the true fit.

mamakaimon

Re: Anyone have a Pontiac Grand Am? *pics of install*

OK it's in! Reinstalled the AOE as well.

So - the AOE is for my 23lb, 35inch 2 yr old. And the TF for my 17.5lb, 27 inch 6 month old.

The TF is slightly more reclined than the AOE. But not at 45 degrees. I could use the bigger pool noodle to recline it more if needed. There's a pic of the leveller ball. I *think* the AOE is no less than 30 degrees upright but I really don't know how to tell for sure. So maybe compared to the TF you all can tell.

If you need different angles of more pics let me know! I tried to keep my camera level with the ground. The car is parked on a slight incline to the right (toward the TF) but front to back it's even. I took pics from both sides because of this.

DSCN6272.jpg

DSCN6269.jpg

DSCN6270.jpg

Please Please Please no flames on the mirror. I know they're not the safest thing. But DS is a screamer in the car. Like make you want to drive into a ditch high pitched screamer. The mirror helps some. He can see himself and (when DH is driving) I can turn a bit and he can see me.

ETA: WOAH those are big.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC