Any plans for more higher weight infant bucket seats in Canada

marciemp

I am really hoping to get a higher weight infant bucket seat for baby number 4 due to the amount of times we will be in and out of the van with driving my other 3 kids to school. I guess right now my only option is the Graco Snugride 32? Are there any plans for other bucket seats to be higher weight? I saw that Graco has a bucket seat that goes to 35 pounds in the U.S. and there are several other brands of seats that go to 30 pounds in the U.S. Some of those seats are available here but they are not approved for use past 22 pounds. Why is that? Will they be in the future? I was so gung-ho for the Britax bucket and then they made it 22, seems pointless to me.

ADS

canmom

There are some credible rumors going around that we will be getting the Keyfit 30 (not clue on when exactly though). We may at some point see the Snugride 35. Remember though, the idea behind a higher weight seat (especially the Graco ones) isn’t that you would actually get a child to 30, 32 or 35 lbs in the seat. Typically these seats will last the vast majority of children to their 1st birthday. They last this long not really due to the weight limit but because of the height of the shells. The Britax Chaperone has a taller seat shell (from bum to top of the seat) so even though it is only rated to 22lbs, it will take children further than a Graco seat that goes to 22lbs.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
There are some credible rumors going around that we will be getting the Keyfit 30 (not clue on when exactly though). We may at some point see the Snugride 35. Remember though, the idea behind a higher weight seat (especially the Graco ones) isn’t that you would actually get a child to 30, 32 or 35 lbs in the seat. Typically these seats will last the vast majority of children to their 1st birthday. They last this long not really due to the weight limit but because of the height of the shells. The Britax Chaperone has a taller seat shell (from bum to top of the seat) so even though it is only rated to 22lbs, it will take children further than a Graco seat that goes to 22lbs.

Do tell more on the rumors about the KF 30?

Some of the patterns currently available in store are the KF 30 seat sold in the US, but are only rated to 22lbs in Canada. I'm not sure of the reason why, but it may be a case of the same reason as the chaperone is only rated to 22lbs in Canada - fitment requirements.

OP - unless you have a heavy kid, the vast majority of kids outgrow their infant only seats by height before weight. The Chaperone likely won't last quite as long as the SS1 by height, but it will be close. If your babies aren't usually hitting 22lbs before a year, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

So far as the KF30 and the KF22 go, I've read that they have the same height shell, so unless you need the higher weight limit, it doesn't really matter...

FWIW, I do expect that we'll see the SR32 change to the SR35 in Canada as well. Most kids never made it close to 30lbs in the seat anyways, so unless babe is a chubster, the weight limit of 32 vs. 35 on the infant seat isn't a big deal...

marciemp

That is funny because non of my kids were extremely chubby but they seem to outgrow their seats by height and weight at about the same time. My twins made it to 12-13 months in their infant buckets and they were full size full term (7 lbs and 40 weeks) when they were born so they were not small. My oldest was about 11 months and we moved her, more because we were going on a long trip and wanted her to be more comfortable. In the case of the twins the little boy was too tall at 13 months and they were both 22 pounds so that is when we moved them both. The little girl has a short torso so she probably still had headroom but was too heavy by then. When I look at their heights the little boy was 31 inches at 15.5 months and I am sure they didn't gain 10 pounds from 13-15 months so they would have both most likely still fit if they had 32 pound 32 inch seats. My oldest was not 32 inches until she was 19 months, but she may have been too tall in the torso.

I was hoping that with the 32 pound 32 inch seat the baby would make it to 15 months or so. I am not that concerned about lugging around a heavy seat as I carried both twins together in their seats all of the time when they were 1. If the baby is awake I will most likely leave the seat in the van but if the baby is sleeping I want the option of taking the whole seat out.

With all of the seats my kids have rode in they grow out of them by weight and height right around the same time. With my oldest she was right about 40 pounds when her shoulders were just starting to be too high for her FF seat too. My twins are heading towards 40 pounds now (38-39 and a bit fully dressed) but they are in Nautilus' so they have a lot of room, but up until about june they were in 40 pound limit seats and they were 36-37 pounds or so, with some room left in the straps too.

I guess my kids must be the odd ones!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC