Question Any experience with the Baby Trend Inertia?

Sherlockholmes

DH and I were testing infant seats out today in BRU and really loved this one! When I got home I tried to find reviews on it, but didn't find much. I guess it's a newer seat? Anyway I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here!

ADS

cupcakepirate11

It JUST came out :) the car seat blog might have a review! The only downfall I see is that the handle must remain down below the seat while in the car.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The bottom harness height is very tall, so it doesn't fit smaller to average newborns because their torsos are too small. The base is new, but the seat is the same as the usual Baby Trend seat. Make sure it can fit with the handle down in the car, as that can be a problem.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Make sure you like the puzzle buckle. It has to be held together and then inserted into the buckle, instead of most other seats that can be inserted one at a time. A lot of parents come to me complaining that it's pretty tough to do on a wiggly older baby.
I hadn't thought to look at the bottom slots, Baby Trends actually used to be among the best to fit newborns, but very misleading with their high height and weight limits (the shell is kind of short, the seat is narrow on the inside).

Overall, super, super, super cool base, I wish they'd do something a little nicer with the seat itself :eek:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello, sherlock! Welcome to car-seat.org and congrats on your upcoming arrival. :)

I'm so sorry that we don't have much information about the new Baby Trend seat. As Jools said, it does seem to have a VERY cool base, but the seat itself seems to be a bit lackluster (from what has been able to be assessed so far; the seat is brand new).

I'm glad the seat and base work in your vehicle. :)

When you were playing with seats, did you find any others that seemed interesting/appealing? :)

Sherlockholmes

I really do love that base and DH really really loved it because it was so easy to install.

Honestly the whole looking at infant seats experience was really overwhelming! We didn't use one with DS (we used a convertible), but really want one this time. As for which ones I liked...there were so many! I'm more interested in great reviews and ease of use. DH is more into the look (like if it looks "high tech"). I'm open to hearing any recommendations!

We really want a seat that has a no re-thread harness and adjustable recline. I like the anti rebound feature, but not a deal breaker. I do want to get a seat that has the extra padding/protecting by the baby's head. The weight and height limit isn't a big deal because we plan on moving baby to a convertible (which we already have left from DS) when the infant seat is outgrown.

ETA: I youtubed the puzzle buckle and that seriously looks like a PITA. We'll go test it out and see what we think in person, but it seems like that would be a deal breaker, which is unfortunate since we really liked that base!

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe a Snugride Click Connect 35 DLX or 40? No rethread harness, adjustable (but not cooooooool) base (the 40 base, useable with the 35 seat, actually IS pretty cool, IMO, and allows for loads of extra legroom due to the way it moves), nice head protection...
Chiccos are awesome, but you have to rethread. Combis have anti-rebound, but also have a puzzle buckle.

Well, I'm just brainstorming, now, lol. Love your avatar picture :love:

Sherlockholmes

Thank you, that's our baby number two! :love:

The Snugride Click Connect 35 lx looks super cozy! I like the price of that one vs the 40 ;) I'm making a list of seats to try out next week so thank you!

jwilliams

You might want to put the Chicco KeyFit30 on your list. It doesn't have a no-rethread harness, but you are not going to be rethreading it more than 3 times over the life of the seat, probably. It is very easy to install correctly (it has a center-pull LATCH adjuster and lockoffs for a belt install, plus a bubble indicator), has adjustable recline, the buckles are nice, and the harness tightens and loosens very smoothly. It also has a substantial two piece infant insert, and it's pretty small width-wise and front to back. Just a suggestion!

mominabigtruck

I think a britax chaperone fits all of your criteria. It's a bit of a beast though and some people don't like it.

There's the.new evenflo secureride e3. I played with it the other day and its actually pretty nice except for the blah cover and whole handle being down thing.

Sherlockholmes

Oh yes, I do like the Britax Chaperone too!

I was also just looking at the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30....any thoughts on that one?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I find the Peg hard to install with the seatbelt, and with the handle at the head like it's require it's big. Not as big as the Chaperone, but still bigger than most parents want behind them. The bottom slots are also pretty high for a newborn. And a five year expiration, if you're planning more kids.

Wendy

Sherlockholmes

This is a lot harder than I thought! :twitch: There's a Buy Buy Baby near us that has the Peg and Britax Chaperone so we'll have to try them out and see how much leg room it leaves me. I don't want to be eating the dash board :thumbsdown:

We don't plan on more kids and we already have a convertible from DS baby can move into after the infant seat so we don't need a huge infant seat to keep them in for an extended period.

wnkw

This is a lot harder than I thought! :twitch: There's a Buy Buy Baby near us that has the Peg and Britax Chaperone so we'll have to try them out and see how much leg room it leaves me. I don't want to be eating the dash board :thumbsdown:

We don't plan on more kids and we already have a convertible from DS baby can move into after the infant seat so we don't need a huge infant seat to keep them in for an extended period.

We narrowed it down to these two, too. The chaperone is just so easy to install (latch and seatbelt) in all of our vehicles, so it was an easy decision. They are occasionally on nbd (saw one I think yesterday ), bases too.

Eta. There is a chaperone on nbd (silver I guess) for 99.99. Shipping is 7.95, but I think there may be a free ship code.

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

Last edited:

Sherlockholmes

Well we spent a good few hours at Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby trying out seats in our vehicle.

We tried these at BBB:
Britax Chaperone
Maxi Cosi Prezi
Graco Snugride 30/35
Chicco Keyfit 30
Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP 30/30

And then we went back to BRU to try the Baby Trend Inertia and see if we hated the puzzle buckle as much as I expected we would. The verdict is we love everything about this seat and base, it's perfect for us. YES the puzzle buckle is annoying, but it's not impossible. I think this is the one for baby #2 :)

MotoMommaNH

You will have to give us a mini review on how you like it once the LO arrives! ooo maybe even some pics on how the base installs in your car too ;)

Sherlockholmes

I can definitely do that! I have one picture of it installed while we were testing them all (it's not the greatest, just took it to send to my mom).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Car-Seat.Org

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130412_185114.png
    ForumRunner_20130412_185114.png
    666 KB · Views: 70

momofthree3

hello sherlock, i know you posted this a year ago so I hope you see this, but how do you feel about the inertia now that you have used it for 6 months or so? I just ordered one, baby is due in 5ish months.

thanks,
momofthree

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC